2026 MLB

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Clark Addison
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 10310

    #1

    2026 MLB

    This really belongs in the "Random thoughts that will interest no one" thread, but we don't have a 2026 MLB thread so I figured I would start one and put it here.

    Run Differential (runs scored minus runs given up) obviously is highly correlated with a winning record. So much so that, given a good sample size, you can generally predict with pretty fair accuracy a team's winning percentage with those two numbers.

    So until we hit game 40 or so I often take a look at run differential to see if a team's record is possibly due to good or bad luck. I found it interesting today when I looked that the NL Central standings are negatively rank-ordered by run differential. As you go from first to last place each team has progressively better run differentials. As a Cubs fan (last place, best run differential) I will assume that this is a good sign.

    I feel Wuap would like this post. Especially as his Braves are crushing it in run differential so far.

    Run Differential.png
  • Pelado
    Bald not naked
    • Sep 2010
    • 21142

    #2
    Pretty tightly grouped in the standings.
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

    Comment

    • Bo Diddley
      Senior
      • Jul 2012
      • 18790

      #3
      That doesn't make me any more optimistic about my Royals this year.

      Comment

      • Copelius
        Maker of eyeballs
        • Dec 2012
        • 4061

        #4
        Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
        This really belongs in the "Random thoughts that will interest no one" thread, but we don't have a 2026 MLB thread so I figured I would start one and put it here.

        Run Differential (runs scored minus runs given up) obviously is highly correlated with a winning record. So much so that, given a good sample size, you can generally predict with pretty fair accuracy a team's winning percentage with those two numbers.

        So until we hit game 40 or so I often take a look at run differential to see if a team's record is possibly due to good or bad luck. I found it interesting today when I looked that the NL Central standings are negatively rank-ordered by run differential. As you go from first to last place each team has progressively better run differentials. As a Cubs fan (last place, best run differential) I will assume that this is a good sign.

        I feel Wuap would like this post. Especially as his Braves are crushing it in run differential so far.

        Run Differential.png
        I like your thinking as the Yanks are +21. Of course 43% of that came today in a 13-4 laugher. But even discounting today, they are the only team in the AL East that has a positive run differential.
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

        Comment

        • Northwestcoug
          Cocked and Loaded
          • May 2011
          • 18026

          #5
          Wow the Red Sox fire Alex Cora and a bunch of coaches. I mean they are mired in last place and are terrible right now and it’s probably needed, but he was the golden boy who got them a WS his first year.

          sounds like Varitek was reassigned, which is unfortunate. He seems like a good guy.
          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
          - SeattleUte

          Comment

          • Northwestcoug
            Cocked and Loaded
            • May 2011
            • 18026

            #6
            Jomboy media on instagram is a great follow. He breaks down a lot of interesting plays. And he lip reads players, managers, and umpires when they argue. Multiple f bombs slowed down. Oh. Yeah.
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

            Comment

            • Northwestcoug
              Cocked and Loaded
              • May 2011
              • 18026

              #7
              My very conditional Ben Rice approval depends on the Sox losing this series ( (looks almost inevitable with NY pitching), and then someone beating NY before the WS. For now, he seems like a great kid and great having a great first few seasons.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

              Comment

              • USUC
                Chronic Poseur
                • Apr 2010
                • 8793

                #8
                I try really hard to not have too many teams to root against in the post season but I already have the Rays, Astros, Braves, and the Yankees.

                Comment

                • Northwestcoug
                  Cocked and Loaded
                  • May 2011
                  • 18026

                  #9
                  Wow. Rice just had himself a monster game.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

                  Comment

                  • Northwestcoug
                    Cocked and Loaded
                    • May 2011
                    • 18026

                    #10
                    Originally posted by USUC View Post
                    I try really hard to not have too many teams to root against in the post season but I already have the Rays, Astros, Braves, and the Yankees.
                    San Diego seems nice. And they have Boegarts, who was always fun to watch.

                    im going to give the Brewers a chance.
                    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                    - SeattleUte

                    Comment

                    • USUC
                      Chronic Poseur
                      • Apr 2010
                      • 8793

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

                      San Diego seems nice. And they have Boegarts, who was always fun to watch.

                      im going to give the Brewers a chance.
                      Yeah, I'm partial to the Brewers. I like Murakami so I'm rooting for the White Sox (although I don't think they go past the next round).

                      Comment

                      • Copelius
                        Maker of eyeballs
                        • Dec 2012
                        • 4061

                        #12
                        It was fun to track the game during our conference rehearsal.
                        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

                        Comment

                        • Northwestcoug
                          Cocked and Loaded
                          • May 2011
                          • 18026

                          #13
                          Man who needs Judge back when you can put up runs like that?
                          "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                          "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                          - SeattleUte

                          Comment

                          • Copelius
                            Maker of eyeballs
                            • Dec 2012
                            • 4061

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                            Man who needs Judge back when you can put up runs like that?
                            I thought for sure that the ill advised send of Rice from third was gonna come back to bite them. Cautiously optomistic.
                            “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

                            Comment

                            Working...