No announcement yet.

2021 NFL Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Joe Rogan is a Gwyneth Paltrow for guys.

I read that the other day and it still makes me laugh. Right on the nose.
    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      Joe Rogan is a Gwyneth Paltrow for guys.

I read that the other day and it still makes me laugh. Right on the nose.
      That is a fantastic line. I absolutely plagiarize it next time Rogan's name comes up.

Comment

Originally posted by falafel View Post

I mean, you really can't say what would have happened if Rogan had the vaccine. He might have contracted it, he might have not. But I think the point is good - Rogers sought advice on how to protect himself from the virus from a non-medical professional and known lunatic anti-vaxxer who couldn't even protect himself from the virus. And I disagree that Rogan doesn't share some of the blame for contracting the virus. If you aren't doing all the things that the vast majority of medical experts are saying you should do to protect yourself, then you share some of the blame when you get it.
        right, but the point is, rogan is an idiot for not getting vaxxed. he's not an idiot for getting covid. the insinuation is that had he been vaxxed he wouldn't have contracted covid - and as you say, nobody knows that.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

The reaction from extreme pro-vaxxers is making me like Aaron Rodgers and Joe Rogan even more. At age 38, Aaron Rodgers will be back to playing football at an elite level within a week or two of contracting COVID. Rogan was sick for a couple days and tested negative within a week of contraction. Seems like their approach is working pretty well. Obviously they're both super healthy and their lifestyle contributes to their strong immune systems. This is likely untrue of most of their critics who see the vaccine as the beginning and end of protection against COVID.

Now I got the vaccine as soon as I could as did the rest of my family. I'm glad I did. But something about the public conversation seems really off to me. We admire heterodoxical thinking and those who raise questions on most every other subject, but not this one. After the actions of Big Pharma over the past 20 years I don't blame someone for not trusting Pfizer/J&J. Similarly, after the incompetency of the CDC/FDA throughout the pandemic I don't blame someone for not trusting their guidance. Fauci has clearly been untruthful on some issues so I don't blame someone for questioning his advice. Both Biden and Harris expressed skepticism last fall about the vaccine and declared there wouldn't be a mandate so it shouldn't be a surprise there are people who are confused. Vaccine hesitancy in minority communities is still high, but I can't blame them for distrusting the government. The pro-vaccine attempts at conversion have morphed into coercion and I don't like it. A little more humility, charity, and respect for freedom are in order.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

right, but the point is, rogan is an idiot for not getting vaxxed. he's not an idiot for getting covid. the insinuation is that had he been vaxxed he wouldn't have contracted covid - and as you say, nobody knows that.
            But he is an idiot for eschewing the advice of medical and infectious disease professionals with access to mountains of data in favor of "his own research", which likely contributed to his getting covid. If not now, at some other point. He needlessly amplified his own risk of contracting the disease.
            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post
              The reaction from extreme pro-vaxxers is making me like Aaron Rodgers and Joe Rogan even more. At age 38, Aaron Rodgers will be back to playing football at an elite level within a week or two of contracting COVID. Rogan was sick for a couple days and tested negative within a week of contraction. Seems like their approach is working pretty well. Obviously they're both super healthy and their lifestyle contributes to their strong immune systems. This is likely untrue of most of their critics who see the vaccine as the beginning and end of protection against COVID.

Now I got the vaccine as soon as I could as did the rest of my family. I'm glad I did. But something about the public conversation seems really off to me. We admire heterodoxical thinking and those who raise questions on most every other subject, but not this one. After the actions of Big Pharma over the past 20 years I don't blame someone for not trusting Pfizer/J&J. Similarly, after the incompetency of the CDC/FDA throughout the pandemic I don't blame someone for not trusting their guidance. Fauci has clearly been untruthful on some issues so I don't blame someone for questioning his advice. Both Biden and Harris expressed skepticism last fall about the vaccine and declared there wouldn't be a mandate so it shouldn't be a surprise there are people who are confused. Vaccine hesitancy in minority communities is still high, but I can't blame them for distrusting the government. The pro-vaccine attempts at conversion have morphed into coercion and I don't like it. A little more humility, charity, and respect for freedom are in order.
              The problem is that coercion is the very last option, after all the humility, charity and respect for "freedom" are exhausted and there is still a gigantic public health threat. I can't see how a few more months of humility and charity is going to overcome the hesitancy of people who think bleach and horse pills are viable alternatives to vaccines.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The problem is that coercion is the very last option, after all the humility, charity and respect for "freedom" are exhausted and there is still a gigantic public health threat. I can't see how a few more months of humility and charity is going to overcome the hesitancy of people who think bleach and horse pills are viable alternatives to vaccines.
                Is covid still a gigantic public health threat? The only noticeable difference in my life now and pre-COVID is I wear a mask at church and on airplanes, so at least in Utah it's not treated as such. I'll acknowledge that it's a public health threat but I just don't know to what degree. This threat should also diminish with the development and approval of effective antivirals and better access to testing.

From what I've observed I don't think there was ever much humility and charity shown. I'll admit that I've done my share of mocking, but trying to be more kind.

Comment

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

not a fan of comments such as this

as if masks are some kind of silver bullet. hell, the mask i wear most of the time isn't even allowed to count as a mask at some of the hospitals i visit. they make me take it off and put on one they have there at the facility. yet somehow if Rodgers were wearing my mask, he's keeping everybody safe - simply because he has a piece of cloth covering his face.

and this...

not really sure what his point is here, but he seems to be condemning Rogan for contracting the virus as if he wouldn't have contracted it had he been vaxxed. should have just stopped at "he consulted anti-vaxxer Joe Rogan". the fact Rogan contracted the virus is irrelevant. millions of vaccinated people are contracting the virus.

I'm a covid fearmongering liberal on CB - i'm uber pro vax. i was vaxxed early on and as soon as i can get a booster, i will. but let's not pretend getting vaccinated will prevent you from getting covid. the best thing getting vaccinated does is keeps you out of the hospital and keeps you alive by limiting the severity of the symptoms. vaccinated or not, it's not Rogan's fault he contracted the virus. I guess my point is, KAJ would have done much better to leave that garbage out and focus on the legitimate criticisms such as Rodgers lies and consulting dumbass anti-vaxxers like Joe Rogan rather than mainstream doctors who know what the eff they are talking about.

honestly most of the article is just the same liberal talking points that annoy me almost as much as all the stupid conservative talking points relating to this issue.
                  I'll give you the 'put everyone's health at risk' knock on the article. That's overhyped. There is no silver bullet, vaccines included. But masks do help decrease the risk of spreading COVID. It might have been a relatively low risk when he wasn't positive, but you can be sure he was spreading the virus during his asymptomatic period. Who knows if the reporters, NFL staff, or anyone else was exposed to an infectious quantify of COVID. Had he been wearing a mask when he was infectious, it would have been the responsible thing to do and we would only be laughing at him for believing Rogan's and others' BS about COVID.

But he displayed an astonishing lack of understanding about the risk he was putting others in, almost 2 years into the pandemic. He lied/misled about his vaccination status and then acted as if he was as protected as vaccinated players and staff were. It showed supreme selfishness to lie about his status and then act as if he were vaccinated.

About the liberal talking points that are almost 'as bad' as the conservative ones; I honestly don't see it but I'm a commie. However, public health policy should not be viewed as a political position. Although it is at odds with conservative philosophy, and most of it's proponents are on the left side, most of public health policy shouldn't be as debatable as other political issues. There is a point where the good of society outweighs personal freedom, and safe effective vaccinations against epidemics of preventable diseases really shouldn't be debated. And yet here we are, because COVID has become a political football. It allows Rodgers, Rogan, and a bunch of other people with microphones to spout complete nonsense that causes real morbidity and mortality.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by YOhio View Post

Is covid still a gigantic public health threat? The only noticeable difference in my life now and pre-COVID is I wear a mask at church and on airplanes, so at least in Utah it's not treated as such.
                    Well, Utah's ICUs are at 92% capacity today if that is any indication.

Case Counts | coronavirus (utah.gov)

Comment

Horse pills? Sure, some people are taking pills meant for horses, but ivermectin has been used by humans. This is just another way in which the public discourse has been tainted.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Originally posted by beefytee View Post

Well, Utah's ICUs are at 92% capacity today if that is any indication.

Case Counts | coronavirus (utah.gov)
                        And I just got an email from a co-worker that he needs to take time off to take care of his wife who has Covid. So while I'm glad some of you are well insulated from its effects currently, it is still having a significant negative impact on US society currently and not just because of measures and mandates.

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Horse pills? Sure, some people are taking pills meant for horses, but ivermectin has been used by humans. This is just another way in which the public discourse has been tainted.
                          Yes, I know. Its hyperbole. But even though Ivermectin is used to treat humans, it has not been shown to have any effectiveness against Covid, which is the point.

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yes, I know. Its hyperbole. But even though Ivermectin is used to treat humans, it has not been shown to have any effectiveness against Covid, which is the point.
                            Yeah, I don't care what you call it. It doesn't work.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

After all the ignorant information, deception, and dishonesty from the anti-vax side, cut some slack for those feeling their oats by making fun of people taking ass dewormer. It is such a lame talking point that the conservative side has latched onto, as if the problem of those hesitant of getting the vaccine is made worse simply because ivermectin has a role in human therapy and we're emboldening the anti-vaxxers by not being precise with our words. Boo hoo.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post

After all the ignorant information, deception, and dishonesty from the anti-vax side, cut some slack for those feeling their oats by making fun of people taking ass dewormer. It is such a lame talking point that the conservative side has latched onto, as if the problem of those hesitant of getting the vaccine is made worse simply because ivermectin has a role in human therapy and we're emboldening the anti-vaxxers by not being precise with our words. Boo hoo.

you know what? I will like dogs for the weekend. My sister got a st bernard and it is freaking cute.

Comment

Working...
                                X