Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
    At least we gave Okur an extention.
    He's totally worth it, for like 3 weeks a year he averages 10 boards and shoots 42% from 3. The NBA season is only 3 weeks right?
    Get confident, stupid
    -landpoke

Comment

• Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
      If the Jazz could get Taj Gibson out of Boozer that would be great. Someone in the middle to help out soft Okur and undersized Sap.
      Taj doesn't add much size. Could you imagine Taj & Millsap v. Gasol & Bynum..

Why not roll the dice on Jermaine O'Neal? He doesn't have the same offensive game, but he was a solid C in Miami.

Comment

What incentive does Chicago have though? If they can sign Booz and fill their roster with lower salaried players why would they S&T? Taj is a 2nd year big with talent on the cheap and they won't give up JJ right away. Just my opinion.
        I think the added benefit for Chicago is that they can structure the deal differently so that his first year salary is slightly lower. A lower first year salary means more cap room this year. But, maybe I'm wrong and the only salary relief is by including one of the other players in the deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sizzle View Post
          I think the added benefit for Chicago is that they can structure the deal differently so that his first year salary is slightly lower. A lower first year salary means more cap room this year. But, maybe I'm wrong and the only salary relief is by including one of the other players in the deal.
          According to Locke it's tiered starting at $13MM and increasing 8% each year. His was speculation but makes sense and jibes with what you stated. Either way it's paying a 33 year old $15-18MM. Too bad for Chicago. That at least gives me some sollace.
          "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

"Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

Comment

• If Chicago wants to pay Boozer that much I say more power to them. I'm glad Utah didn't match or give him max money. I'd almost be willing to be that he has a major injury next season and watches a lot of games from the bench.

Comment

According to Locke it's tiered starting at $13MM and increasing 8% each year. His was speculation but makes sense and jibes with what you stated. Either way it's paying an injury prone 33 year old $15-18MM. Too bad for Chicago. That at least gives me some sollace.
              Bold added.

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                Everything I am reading says the Jazz are working on a sign and trade. I doubt the Jazz get much back. But even a Taj Gibson or James Johnson would help.

Instead I am guessing all they get is a trade exception which with AKs expiring deal could be valuable.

Also it looks like if Lebron does not pick the Knicks, David Lee will go to Golden State in a sign and trade for Ronny Turiaf and Anthony Randolph.
                I think a trade exception is the best they'll do (if they can even get anything). I highly doubt they get a player out of it as well.
                So Russell...what do you love about music? To begin with, everything.

Comment

• Why the Jazz couldn’t get Jermaine O’Neal
                  I believed Jermaine O’Neal would have been a nice addition to the Utah Jazz after the departure of Carlos Boozer. The uncertainty of Memo Okur makes adding another big vital.

However, when Miami went after the superstar free agents they had to renounce the rights to O’Neal. Therefore, he was no longer eligible for a sign and trade deal. If he had been eligible for a sign and trade deal then the Jazz could have signed him for more than anyone else using the Matt Harpring trade exception of 6.5 million.

Once that wasn’t an option the Jazz could have used their MLE. mid level exception. However, the Jazz need to keep that as an option to be able to match any deal that Wesley Matthews receives.

Even if the Jazz had been able to use the MLE, then they were on equal footing with all the other teams interested in O’Neal.

Today O’Neal signed with the Celtics.
                  http://www.nba.com/jazz/features/locked_on_jazz.html

Comment

• Thanks. Insane that the Celts got him for the MLE.

Comment

• It's being reported that the Jazz and Bulls are doing a sign and trade in which the Jazz will get another Trade Exemption.

http://sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/4989...-deal.html.csp
                      "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

Comment

• Originally posted by ewth8tr View Post
                        It's being reported that the Jazz and Bulls are doing a sign and trade in which the Jazz will get another Trade Exemption.

http://sltrib.com/sltrib/sports/4989...-deal.html.csp
                        So can any of the capologists explain what this means? So they have 18 million (with Harprings Trade exemption) to take on Salaries via trade?
                        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

"And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

Comment

• Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
                          So can any of the capologists explain what this means? So they have 18 million (with Harprings Trade exemption) to take on Salaries via trade?
                          From the Desnews article

The TPE (Traded Player Exception) allows the Jazz to acquire one or more players via trade with any other team any time over the next year even if their acquisition leaves Utah over the NBA's team payroll salary cap of $58.044 million, as long as their salary or combined salaries do not exceed the total of the amount of money Boozer will make in his first year with the Bulls plus $100,000.

Comment

• Originally posted by SloanHater View Post
                            Thanks. Insane that the Celts got him for the MLE.
                            I just looked at the nba.com info page for Jermaine O'Neal. That guy is only 31 years old. lol. He's more broken down than Shaq who's 38.
                            Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Any of the following names excite you for whom the Jazz might go after?

Luis Scola
                              Troy Murphy
                              Tyson Chandler
                              Enema Okafor
                              Andres Biedrins

I assume it has to be a big, and given that the Jazz ADDED a protected 2nd round pick, they have to be serious about wanting to use it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                                I just looked at the nba.com info page for Jermaine O'Neal. That guy is only 31 years old. lol. He's more broken down than Shaq who's 38.
                                Yeah he came in the league with Kobe.
                                "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                                -Turtle
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X