No announcement yet.

2021 BYU soccer into the Elite 8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We attended both games and had a fun time with a large group of friends. We sat near Kevin Worthen and Tom Holmoe both games--they had surprisingly mediocre seats and blended in with the hoi polloi, although when the rest of us booed lustily whenever FSU's no. 6 touched the ball, they were courteously silent. When Colohan was carried off the field in the first half, Tom went down to check on things, and returned to report it was only a shin injury and would be returning for the second (albeit she was obviously hampered and in pain).

Good soccer's fun to watch, but I just can work up the love for the game that others here and in my family have. Watching 220 minutes of regulation play without a single goal was pretty frustrating. I get that my lack of love for the "beautiful game" is due both to having grown up without it and to a lack of understanding of its finer points (similar to those who bemoan baseball boredom). But I'm very slowly warming up t it, having gone from to over the past few days. I was really impressed by the BYU women, though--very resilient and great teamwork.

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
      Thoughts:

1) Penalty Kicks suck. I said this after the Santa Clare game as well. It is idiotic to fundamentally change how a game is played to decide a tie. I don't like it anymore than I would a field goal or free throw contest after a football or baskeball game

2) FSU seemed like the better team. They controlled possession, had better scoring chances, and would be a difficult team to ever score more than a single goal against

3) The offsides seemed very close, but was impossible to tell from the camera angle. I am so spoiled watching football which has multiple cameras on the field, it was hard to watch these games and their single camera view. I never saw a direct down the line view (which the official should have had) to know how close it was.

4) Great showing again by BYU fans. I'm not sure how well the Cougars actually "travel"- meaning coming from a long distance. But we definitely show up in droves, for a good game anywhere in the US

5) The second yellow card absolutely should have been issued, it really wasn't debatable. Honestly I was more surprised by the first one. On replay it seemed the FSU defender had the ball first and Mikalya was the one who arrived late.

6) Feel really, really bad for the girls, especially Cassidy Smith. She allowed zero goals in 220 mins of the Final Four, and guessed correctly on 4/5 penalty kicks; they were just too well struck for her do anything about them. After watching the Deep Blue episode about her, I'm a big fan. And once again PK sucks!

7) It's a great time to be a Cougar. Only a few years ago it seemed possible most of BYU's sports programs would fade into irrelevance. Now the exact opposite is true. No matter the sport BYU is putting a team on the field/pitch/court that has legitimate chances to be one of the best in country.

Good post. I'm not much of a soccer fan, but I watched the game. BYU in any national championship is so freaking awesome. Those women are impressive.

Comment

Anyone watching this soccer game? BYU holding on by millmeters. Not sure how that ball stayed out of goal?

Comment

Going to PKs. Also known as the 2nd worst rule in sports. Targeting in college football, being the worst

Comment

I gather BYU lost, since you disappeared.
            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

Originally posted by Art Vandelay View Post
              Going to PKs. Also known as the 2nd worst rule in sports. Targeting in college football, being the worst
              BYU WINS!
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                I gather BYU lost, since you disappeared.
                Ha. I had to see a patient. got back just in time to see the last two kicks. Nice redemption for how PKs treated them last season

Comment

Working...
                X