The official triathlon thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • YOhio
    Hipster Mode
    • Nov 2008
    • 26165

    #406
    Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
    Completely serious question. Maybe it was so dumb you saw it as a troll post, but yes, the question was sincere.
    No. He's only done one run on the elliptical and I think two on the treadmill. The elliptical was because of his hip issues and the treadmill was because of a hurricane. All the rest have been real runs on the road.

    Comment

    • smokymountainrain
      Impressive Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22593

      #407
      Originally posted by YOhio View Post
      No. He's only done one run on the elliptical and I think two on the treadmill. The elliptical was because of his hip issues and the treadmill was because of a hurricane. All the rest have been real runs on the road.
      Thanks. So my point is this - If he completes all 50, he will have run, swam and biked 7,030 miles with about 78 of those miles on a machine. If there is an asterisk on this, it is an extremely insignificant one. Perhaps it's due to the fact that I've never done an Ironman, but with 6952 out of 7030 miles being legit, I'd say he will have completed 50 Ironmans in 50 days - no need to discredit him with an asterisk.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

      Comment

      • Moliere
        One man.....one pie
        • Oct 2009
        • 27878

        #408
        Well, he also completed a couple bike rides on a trainer, but I'm not sure why you'd discount runs/rides on a machine. They are still difficult and you still put in about the same amount of effort. In fact, they are probably more mentally taxing than being outside.

        I'd agree with the asterisk by the elliptical "run" but the fact he's still doing some swimming in open water and he's sometimes doing 5k plus in elevation on his rides is crazy incredible.

        FTR, if I was in Utah this weekend if for sure run with him. I hope he gets a large group out and I'm sure he will.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

        Comment

        • Donuthole
          Official Outgayer
          • Nov 2008
          • 25267

          #409
          Nobody is saying what the guy is doing isn't physically amazing. It definitely is. But it's not 50 Ironmans in 50 days. And if he and/or his people try to claim it is when he's done, I hope they get called out on it. Anecdotally speaking, the interest in his quest is doing dropped off precipitously as soon as the whole elliptical/treadmill thing came into play. I was seeing dozens of posts about this guy on fb up to that point. Now I might see one or two a week, if that.
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

          There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

          Comment

          • YOhio
            Hipster Mode
            • Nov 2008
            • 26165

            #410
            Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            Nobody is saying what the guy is doing isn't physically amazing. It definitely is. But it's not 50 Ironmans in 50 days. And if he and/or his people try to claim it is when he's done, I hope they get called out on it. Anecdotally speaking, the interest in his quest is doing dropped off precipitously as soon as the whole elliptical/treadmill thing came into play. I was seeing dozens of posts about this guy on fb up to that point. Now I might see one or two a week, if that.
            I think he can count 50 Ironman distances in 50 days and I don't care if I get called out on it! My guess as to why you're seeing interest drop off is that it's not that interesting to talk or post about for 50 days straight.

            Comment

            • Donuthole
              Official Outgayer
              • Nov 2008
              • 25267

              #411
              Originally posted by YOhio View Post
              I think he can count 50 Ironman distances in 50 days and I don't care if I get called out on it! My guess as to why you're seeing interest drop off is that it's not that interesting to talk or post about for 50 days straight.
              Your guess is wrong! Runners/triathletes/fitness dorks talk and post about boring stuff all the time, and for much longer than 50 days. I have one fb acquaintance who posts a picture of his pre-run snacks and pictures from his run every single day. That shit is boring, but he still posts it! Even he stopped posting about the Iron Cowboy.

              FTR, your own description of his conquest contains a disclaimer.
              Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

              There's three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who's got the same first name as a city; and never go near a lady's got a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

              Comment

              • YOhio
                Hipster Mode
                • Nov 2008
                • 26165

                #412
                Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                Your guess is wrong! Runners/triathletes/fitness dorks talk and post about boring stuff all the time, and for much longer than 50 days. I have one fb acquaintance who posts a picture of his pre-run snacks and pictures from his run every single day. That shit is boring, but he still posts it! Even he stopped posting about the Iron Cowboy.

                FTR, your own description of his conquest contains a disclaimer.
                Read the tweet above. That's the claim they seem to be making.

                Comment

                • Dwight Schr-ute
                  Members Only
                  • May 2011
                  • 4917

                  #413
                  Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  He finished #41 tonight in Wisconsin. The guy is an athletic freak. Here's a good shot of his right foot.

                  After this, he's welcome to claim whatever the hell he wants to.

                  But seriously, what do with your life after something like this? I wonder if he's signed up for any official Ironmans. He has plenty of endurance at this point, but he's been going so slow, I wonder if he would even be able to qualify for any of the big ones.
                  Last edited by Dwight Schr-ute; 07-23-2015, 12:32 PM.
                  I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

                  Comment

                  • falafel
                    loves to talk on things
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 37979

                    #414
                    Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    Nobody is saying what the guy is doing isn't physically amazing. It definitely is. But it's not 50 Ironmans in 50 days. And if he and/or his people try to claim it is when he's done, I hope they get called out on it.
                    Substantial compliance.
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                    Dig your own grave, and save!

                    "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                    "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                    Comment

                    • Moliere
                      One man.....one pie
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 27878

                      #415
                      Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
                      After this, he's welcome to claim whatever the hell he wants to.

                      But seriously, what do with your life after something like this? I wonder if he's signed up for any official Ironmans. He has plenty of endurance at this point, but he's been going so slow, I wonder if he would even be able to qualify for any of the big ones.
                      He's already done Kona. I don't think he's typically very fast, but certainly faster than your average amateur triathlete.

                      I've been wondering how he'll feel when he wakes up on Sunday. Will he feel a bit depressed that his streak is ending and maybe have a desire to try to keep it going or will he just be glad it's all over. Sure it'll be the latter, but there'll some of the former in there as well.
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                      Comment

                      • scottie
                        Junior Member
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5247

                        #416
                        Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        FTR, if I was in Utah this weekend if for sure run with him. I hope he gets a large group out and I'm sure he will.
                        Be there in spirit, on an elliptical.

                        Comment

                        • RC Vikings
                          Known Heterosexual
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 8789

                          #417
                          I did my second tri ever yesterday. Burley holds the Spudman tri and it's a big one. This is the first one since the new knee and I wanted to get a feel for it and see what it would take to do well next year. The swim is fast since it goes down the Snake River. I had borrowed a wetsuit and fifty yards into the swim I couldn't breathe because the suit was to tight. I went over to shore and was able to pull it down to my waist. I ended up with a 40 minute swim when I was shooting for 20. We started in the last wave of swimmers so when we started the bike there were thousands of cyclists in front of us. I was able to get into a nice little rhythm around 21 mph and just started passing cyclist after cyclist. My bike lasted 1:10 and that's right around where I thought I would be. The run was a different story, I was totally unprepared for it and it showed. A bunch of those people I passed on the bike got me back on the run. 1:15 for a 10K is terrible. I was hoping for right around an hour. My total time was 3:19, next year I would like to really target this and be right around 2:50. It was fun and I learned a lot. HFNW is in for next year, come join us.

                          Comment

                          • PaloAltoCougar
                            Semper infra dignitatem
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 16936

                            #418
                            Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                            I did my second tri ever yesterday. Burley holds the Spudman tri and it's a big one. This is the first one since the new knee and I wanted to get a feel for it and see what it would take to do well next year. The swim is fast since it goes down the Snake River. I had borrowed a wetsuit and fifty yards into the swim I couldn't breathe because the suit was to tight. I went over to shore and was able to pull it down to my waist. I ended up with a 40 minute swim when I was shooting for 20. We started in the last wave of swimmers so when we started the bike there were thousands of cyclists in front of us. I was able to get into a nice little rhythm around 21 mph and just started passing cyclist after cyclist. My bike lasted 1:10 and that's right around where I thought I would be. The run was a different story, I was totally unprepared for it and it showed. A bunch of those people I passed on the bike got me back on the run. 1:15 for a 10K is terrible. I was hoping for right around an hour. My total time was 3:19, next year I would like to really target this and be right around 2:50. It was fun and I learned a lot. HFNW is in for next year, come join us.
                            Kudos, RCV. If I can simply grab an innertube and float down the Snake, this might be a Tri I can handle. What's the terrain like for the ride and run?

                            Comment

                            • Uncle Ted
                              The Big 12 money shot.
                              • Apr 2010
                              • 28853

                              #419
                              Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                              I did my second tri ever yesterday. Burley holds the Spudman tri and it's a big one.
                              I was in Burley this weekend and saw a bunch of folks with numbers written on their legs. I was staying with my sister who lives on the snake and the damn announcer starting this thing woke me up and I couldn't get back to sleep. Would you tell the people running this thing to keep it down? Folk are trying to sleep.
                              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                              Comment

                              • smokymountainrain
                                Impressive Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22593

                                #420
                                RCV, just for fun, you should do another one today.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

                                Comment

                                Working...