The official triathlon thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • scottie
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5247

    #391
    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    He's on #22 today in Atlanta. Unreal that he can keep going like this.

    It does look like he "ran" a marathon on an eliptical the day after his nasty crash. His hip was apparently hurting too bad to run on it. Not sure I'd count that as running...but I guess it would count in DDD's book.
    Lame.

    Comment

    • smokymountainrain
      Impressive Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 22593

      #392
      Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      He's on #22 today in Atlanta. Unreal that he can keep going like this.

      It does look like he "ran" a marathon on an eliptical the day after his nasty crash. His hip was apparently hurting too bad to run on it. Not sure I'd count that as running...but I guess it would count in DDD's book.
      So after 21 days and 21 Ironmans, he only swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles and did a few hours on an elliptical for the 22nd day? Pussy.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

      Comment

      • ERCougar
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10978

        #393
        Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        So after 21 days and 21 Ironmans, he only swam 2.4 miles, biked 112 miles and did a few hours on an elliptical for the 22nd day? Pussy.
        I know you get this, but there are a few asterisks on his record at this point. Riding a trainer is not the same as riding a bike, and running a treadmill--and even more so, an elliptical--isn't close to the same. Treadmills are notoriously poorly calibrated, and even when not, the workload is less and the recovery is far easier. I don't think it's a coincidence that his next few IM's were much quicker.
        And then, I'm seeing pics of him riding a trainer with an IV hooked to him. Hmm.

        It's not that it's easy, but it's not exactly 50 IM's in 50 days.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

        Comment

        • Moliere
          One man.....one pie
          • Oct 2009
          • 27882

          #394
          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
          I know you get this, but there are a few asterisks on his record at this point. Riding a trainer is not the same as riding a bike, and running a treadmill--and even more so, an elliptical--isn't close to the same. Treadmills are notoriously poorly calibrated, and even when not, the workload is less and the recovery is far easier. I don't think it's a coincidence that his next few IM's were much quicker.
          And then, I'm seeing pics of him riding a trainer with an IV hooked to him. Hmm.

          It's not that it's easy, but it's not exactly 50 IM's in 50 days.
          There's certainly some liberties being taken and it's obviously clear they aren't real Ironmans. It seems he's also drafting a bit on the bike...which would disqualify him as well. I initially thought this thing was about doing 50 Ironmans in 50 days, but it seems it's really two things (1) raising awareness and money for childhood obesity and (2) a way to get sponsors to pay for a really cool trip around the USA. The crowds are getting bigger as he attracts more attention. It's cool to see 50-75 people show up just to run a slow-paced 5K.

          And I was totally wrong on him. I originally guessed he'd complete 21 and I was pretty adamant he wouldn't finish all 50. He completed #34 tonight and just seems to keep going. His body really seems to have adapted to the conditions/stress. The first two weeks were really rough on him, but you don't really hear anymore about the swelling or pain. Now you just hear about him falling asleep on the bike.

          If he completes all 50, the guy has accomplished an amazing feat and it would be cool to run those last couple miles with him in Utah.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

          Comment

          • Eddie
            Senior Member
            • Apr 2009
            • 8098

            #395
            Originally posted by Moliere View Post
            ...but it seems it's really two things (1) raising awareness and money for childhood obesity and (2) a way to get sponsors to pay for a really cool trip around the USA...
            I'd love to take a really cool trip around the USA and see every state. I'm not sure this is the way to do it.

            If he completes all 50, the guy has accomplished an amazing feat and it would be cool to run those last couple miles with him in Utah
            I agree completely.

            Comment

            • Moliere
              One man.....one pie
              • Oct 2009
              • 27882

              #396
              Originally posted by Eddie View Post
              I'd love to take a really cool trip around the USA and see every state. I'm not sure this is the way to do it.



              I agree completely.
              Maybe it was his wife's idea She seems to be loving it.
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

              Comment

              • Moliere
                One man.....one pie
                • Oct 2009
                • 27882

                #397
                He finished #41 tonight in Wisconsin. The guy is an athletic freak. Here's a good shot of his right foot.

                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                Comment

                • scottie
                  Junior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 5247

                  #398
                  Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                  He finished #41 tonight in Wisconsin. The guy is an athletic freak. Here's a good shot of his right foot.
                  For whatever reason I ended up just losing interest knowing that if he would have had to run the run portion of an earlier day instead of on an elliptical, he would have been done on I think it was day 15 or 16. You would have been correct with your "There's no way he pulls it off" comment.

                  Comment

                  • Pelado
                    Bald not naked
                    • Sep 2010
                    • 21142

                    #399
                    Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                    He finished #41 tonight in Wisconsin. The guy is an athletic freak. Here's a good shot of his right foot.

                    Is he going to treat himself to a pedicure when he finishes #50?
                    Originally posted by scottie View Post
                    For whatever reason I ended up just losing interest knowing that if he would have had to run the run portion of an earlier day instead of on an elliptical, he would have been done on I think it was day 15 or 16. You would have been correct with your "There's no way he pulls it off" comment.
                    I thought it was on a treadmill.
                    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                    - Goatnapper'96

                    Comment

                    • ERCougar
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10978

                      #400
                      Originally posted by scottie View Post
                      For whatever reason I ended up just losing interest knowing that if he would have had to run the run portion of an earlier day instead of on an elliptical, he would have been done on I think it was day 15 or 16. You would have been correct with your "There's no way he pulls it off" comment.
                      Yeah, the elliptical was a terrible decision. Still an amazing feat, but even walk it on a treadmill, where distance has some concept, and the asterisk isn't nearly as big.
                      I disagree that he would have been done had he done that. I think the hip would have pulled through and it's been really fascinating watching him adapt. He's had far fewer difficulties than there were when he was in the teens. I would have thought the continued efforts would have just slowly broken down his body, but it appears that his body has just adapted to the ho hum ironman it has to do every day. Seriously amazing.
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                      Comment

                      • YOhio
                        Hipster Mode
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 26165

                        #401
                        So are any of you guys going to go and run the 5K with the Iron Cowboy?

                        Comment

                        • falafel
                          loves to talk on things
                          • Mar 2009
                          • 37987

                          #402
                          No way would I go. Those nipples are terrifying.
                          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                          Dig your own grave, and save!

                          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                          Comment

                          • smokymountainrain
                            Impressive Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22593

                            #403
                            Is he doing the all of the runs at this point on an elliptical or a treadmill? My assumption was that he would use those only due to weather or other extenuating circumstances and run the rest on the road.
                            I'm like LeBron James.
                            -mpfunk

                            Comment

                            • Moliere
                              One man.....one pie
                              • Oct 2009
                              • 27882

                              #404
                              Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              Is he doing the all of the runs at this point on an elliptical or a treadmill? My assumption was that he would use those only due to weather or other extenuating circumstances and run the rest on the road.
                              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                              Comment

                              • smokymountainrain
                                Impressive Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 22593

                                #405
                                Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                Completely serious question. Maybe it was so dumb you saw it as a troll post, but yes, the question was sincere.
                                I'm like LeBron James.
                                -mpfunk

                                Comment

                                Working...