Lance Armstrong is a dope

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by nikuman View Post
    I don't know what RCV's point is but history has shown that SU has a 95% chance of being wrong in any discussion involving sports. So whatever RCV says, I'm with that, at least so long as we are going to have a dichotomy.
    Mike Krzyzewski, John Wooden, Bob Knight, Dean Smith, Michael Jordan, Johnny Unitas, Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Vince Lombardi, Chuck Noll, Bill Belichek (okay, he cheated a little), Tiger Woods, Jack Nichlaus, Pete Sampras, Ken Griffey Jr., Bob Gibson, Urban Meyer, Lou Saban, Dan Marino, O.J. Simpson, Kareem Jabbar, Michael Phelps.

These are a few athletes and coaches who come immediately to mind who have been for significant periods recognized as at the very pinnacle of their professions. The unchallenged absolute best at what they do.

How many of them cheated?
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      Mike Krzyzewski, John Wooden, Bob Knight, Dean Smith, Michael Jordan, Johnny Unitas, Tom Brady, Aaron Rogers, Vince Lombardi, Chuck Noll, Bill Belichek (okay, he cheated a little), Tiger Woods, Jack Nichlaus, Pete Sampras, Ken Griffey Jr., Bob Gibson, Urban Meyer, Lou Saban, Dan Marino, O.J. Simpson, Kareem Jabbar, Michael Phelps.

These are a few athletes and coaches who come immediately to mind who have been for significant periods recognized as at the very pinnacle of their professions. The unchallenged absolute best at what they do.

I'm not saying you have to cheat to win but there is something in everyone of those named that would make them work harder, or dig a little deeper to win then those they went up against. You don't get there without a deep desire to be there.

Comment

• I think both of you are overstating things. RCV--you did say that this woman (a pretty high level cyclist in her own right) wouldn't have won anyway, ie those who have it in them to win also are willing to cheat to do it. SU's right in that there are plenty of champions who are clean, or at least I have to believe it (you put a Sampras in cycling and I'm convinced he loses before he cheats), but was just an a-hole in how he made his point. Shocker.
        At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
        -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

• Oprah now doing interviews about the interview. Awesome.
          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Attorneys, does this Oprah admission make Lance more vulnerable to lawsuit?
            At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
            -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

Comment

I don't know why you are addressing this to me. I assume you can prove negatives. Actually, I assume you are just your usual self, which is why I am going to go ahead and disagree with whatever point you are making. Playing the odds, that's all.
              Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

• Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                And how he went out of his way to try and wreck them and their careers.
                http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/...mstrong_271109

In 2008, Trek president John Burke told the trade magazine Bicycle Retailer and Industry News, “Had all the stars aligned with Lance and Greg, if [LeMond] had kept a positive relationship, [the LeMond brand] would have ended up a $30 [million] to $35 million brand.”
                LeMond may be a little bitter.

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  Attorneys, does this Oprah admission make Lance more vulnerable to lawsuit?
                  Probably yes. It kind of depends on how conclusive is the other evidence. Sometimes a defendant is already in such deep trouble that looking the jury in the eye and coming clean can only help his case or have neutral effect at worst. Is Lance there yet? Barring that circumstance, plaintiffs' lawyers and prosecutors always regard confessions as golden, all to the good.
                  When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                    Attorneys, does this Oprah admission make Lance more vulnerable to lawsuit?
                    many of the twitter feeds i follow suggest that LA is already deep into discussions about paying back millions to the feds for money paid his posties' teams. He will supposedly give testimony against Thom Weisel and Montgomery sports, and perhaps others. He is also trying to broker a deal with the UCI to reduce his suspension by cooperating with them in drug control efforts, which might eventually lead to him being allowed to compete in triathlons again.

in general, however, i think plaintiffs will be very happy with any admission he makes.
                    PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

• Preview for tonight's The Daily Show on Facebook:
                      Tonight: Armstrong ends his career by putting Oprah's back on the map. 11/10c.

Comment

• [YOUTUBE]thyFmxusB9E[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

• Originally posted by creekster View Post
                          many of the twitter feeds i follow suggest that LA is already deep into discussions about paying back millions to the feds for money paid his posties' teams. He will supposedly give testimony against Thom Weisel and Montgomery sports, and perhaps others. He is also trying to broker a deal with the UCI to reduce his suspension by cooperating with them in drug control efforts, which might eventually lead to him being allowed to compete in triathlons again.

in general, however, i think plaintiffs will be very happy with any admission he makes.
                          I'm sure that whatever he said to Oprah was part of a larger agenda in his own best interests.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                            I don't feel sorry for those who didn't dope, they wouldn't have won anyway. I'm convinced that those who reach the top will do anything to get there, be it legal or illegal, and those that won would have still been the winners if everybody was clean, they just did it a little bit faster.
                            Something else infuriating about this post is the comment that steriods made Armostrong just "a little bit faster". Armstrong apologists seem to forget that we all saw Bonds go from being Salieri to Griffy's Mozart to being superman with a bat. We all saw McGwire go from overrated and washed up to Bonds' superman peer. We all saw Flojo go from unknown also ran and mom to super woman.
                            Last edited by SeattleUte; 01-17-2013, 04:23 PM.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Something else infuriating about this post is the comment that steriods made Armostrong just "a little bit faster". Armstrong apologists seem to forget that we all saw Bonds go from being Salieri to Griffy's Mozart to being superman with a bat. We all saw McGwire go from overrated and washed up to Bonds' superman peer. We all saw Flojo go from unknown also ran and mom to super woman.
                              In 1990, the last year I feel confident was clean, the avg speed of the TDF was 38.2 km/per hour. During the LA years the avg was anywhere between 38.9 and 41.6 km and last year, which many felt was a clean race, the avg was 39.8 km. In a bike race it doesn't take much to make a huge difference. During Lotoja if I was just 1 mph faster than someone that I started with I would have beaten them by over 10 miles. If you were to get out and actually clip into a bike this may all be a little clearer to you. Also LA was winning races before he doped, no cyclist goes from fair to great because of doping.

Comment

• Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                                In 1990, the last year I feel confident was clean, the avg speed of the TDF was 38.2 km/per hour. During the LA years the avg was anywhere between 38.9 and 41.6 km and last year, which many felt was a clean race, the avg was 39.8 km. In a bike race it doesn't take much to make a huge difference. During Lotoja if I was just 1 mph faster than someone that I started with I would have beaten them by over 10 miles. If you were to get out and actually clip into a bike this may all be a little clearer to you. Also LA was winning races before he doped, no cyclist goes from fair to great because of doping.
                                Lol. SU clipping in. Yeah, that'll happen. Right after he lines up for a marathon.
                                Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.

Comment

Working...
                                X