No announcement yet.

2018 - 2019 BYU Hoops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• looks like harding has a chance to be pretty good. not sure if that will be this year, but he does look like he can play a bit.

tooblue, stop with the Nixon stuff. my son was watching the game with me and his one comment was "why is he playing D1 basketball?" my only comment was that he was actually pretty good at Orem, had good size, could shoot it a bit. granted, maybe my son's comment is overstating things the other direction, but goodness gracious, man.

Not sure what to think of Baxter, but the length and athleticism are not seen often at BYU- just hope he can figure out how to play basketball. reminds me of a poor man's Jeremy Evans at this point.

would be nice if Haws could put it all together this year and i think if byu were playing outmatched teams 35 times this season, he'd be pretty good - let's hope he can be regardless.

Seljaas has a good release where he can get his shot off with little space - he needs to be more selfish. if he's not hitting, the coaches can pull him, but if dude is going to help BYU, he needs to be shooting threes - a lot of them.

overall, i was unimpressed with the product on the court, but it was fun to have BYU basketball back. will be interesting to see what Childs can do with this group and with his overall game. i realize it's not earth shattering, but i think we're looking at a 3rd or 4th place WCC team at best - which is why Childs' production and development is the most intriguing thing about the team this year for me.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

Comment

• I think what we have is what BYU tends to always have: a last 4 in / last 4 out team that flirts with the tournament up until the second half of league play. We'll see if they drop the road games (to teams not named Gonzaga or St Mary's) they have always dropped since joining the WCC. Those have usually been the difference in terms of being left out of the dance.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
        looks like harding has a chance to be pretty good. not sure if that will be this year, but he does look like he can play a bit.

tooblue, stop with the Nixon stuff. my son was watching the game with me and his one comment was "why is he playing D1 basketball?" my only comment was that he was actually pretty good at Orem, had good size, could shoot it a bit. granted, maybe my son's comment is overstating things the other direction, but goodness gracious, man.

Not sure what to think of Baxter, but the length and athleticism are not seen often at BYU- just hope he can figure out how to play basketball. reminds me of a poor man's Jeremy Evans at this point.

would be nice if Haws could put it all together this year and i think if byu were playing outmatched teams 35 times this season, he'd be pretty good - let's hope he can be regardless.

Seljaas has a good release where he can get his shot off with little space - he needs to be more selfish. if he's not hitting, the coaches can pull him, but if dude is going to help BYU, he needs to be shooting threes - a lot of them.

overall, i was unimpressed with the product on the court, but it was fun to have BYU basketball back. will be interesting to see what Childs can do with this group and with his overall game. i realize it's not earth shattering, but i think we're looking at a 3rd or 4th place WCC team at best - which is why Childs' production and development is the most intriguing thing about the team this year for me.
        4th seems a little harsh given that we have never been 4th before.

Comment

looks like harding has a chance to be pretty good. not sure if that will be this year, but he does look like he can play a bit.

You don't have to listen to me, but Wrubell notices his impact, reiterating it last night during the game and others have noted Nixon's impact on the success of BYU:

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...-WCC-play.html

Every team has to have guys who will do the little things, and who bring toughness to a team. It's just a fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
            Haws had 7 assists last night which was the most on the team. Not bad for not being the true point all night and not what I'd call a black hole.

Harding had a pretty good night for being his first game: 4 assists. Got a steal. 7 points in 19 minutes.

Cannon gave some good minutes, and his shooting was better than at the scrimmage but only played 14 minutes total.

Worthington had 2 fouls. He picked both of them up very early, sat out the rest of the half, and then played only 12 minutes total. Didn't need him as much against that team, I guess.

In general, the younger and newer guys played pretty well (Bergersen, Baxter, Harding). I'm hoping we get to see Lee pretty soon.

Overall as a team they had 15 steals. That's pretty dang good. Maybe St. Martin's was just too slow. It will be interesting to see how that might apply to D1 opponents.
            In the first half Haws made a steal, raced down the floor and surprisingly tried to throw an allyoop pass to Bergersen who awkwardly didn't get to it. On the one hand, a coach should get in Bergersens face for not getting down the floor with more urgency. On the other hand, can you blame him for trailing in anticipation of Haws taking it to the rim himself and Bergersen trying to be there to clean up a potential miss?

So which was it—a lack of hustle, or knowing who you are playing with?

As I said, Haws is the key to BYU making the NCAA tournament. I am very impressed with how he has worked to improve his defensive game, to try and match his offensive potential. I think this season, he just might find that balance, and that's exciting. But right now, he's still a black hole. Maybe Bergesen learned a lesson ... doesn't matter who's out in front, get on your horse and get down the floor!

Baxter is intriguing, but maybe too raw to really make an impact this season. I can see why Dastrup bailed though. Baxter already showed more aggressiveness and athleticism than Dastrup offered.

I hope Harding progresses faster than his performance showed last night.
            Last edited by tooblue; 10-25-2018, 09:19 AM.

Comment

Haws had 7 assists last night which was the most on the team. Not bad for not being the true point all night and not what I'd call a black hole.

Harding had a pretty good night for being his first game: 4 assists. Got a steal. 7 points in 19 minutes.

Cannon gave some good minutes, and his shooting was better than at the scrimmage but only played 14 minutes total.

Worthington had 2 fouls. He picked both of them up very early, sat out the rest of the half, and then played only 12 minutes total. Didn't need him as much against that team, I guess.

In general, the younger and newer guys played pretty well (Bergersen, Baxter, Harding). I'm hoping we get to see Lee pretty soon.

Overall as a team they had 15 steals. That's pretty dang good. Maybe St. Martin's was just too slow. It will be interesting to see how that might apply to D1 opponents.

Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

I agree with most of this. I thought Bergerson looked bad in his early minutes with a few bad decisions but looked better later. Baxter seems like a project with a lot of upside. Looks like Harding can contribute right away - seems to have good basketball IQ along with good size and skill.

I'll disagree a bit about Nixon. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the team MVP, but he brings tenacity and toughness to the team that doesn't always show up in the box score. He's not typically going to create his own shot, but he can convert on putbacks and (like last night) finish drives on the give and go. They're not running plays to get him shots, but he's going to get a few points per game because he's active.
              "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
              - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Harding will be a good player for BYU. He won't be a superstar scorer but I think he can be a good all around player. He will develop into an above average defender, he can dish the ball and rebound well from his position. He is a kid who should be able to defend decently positions 2-4 in time. If BYU is relying upon him to score it is a bad thing but he will be a solid #2 perimeter scorer who can also defend and be a really consummate team player.
                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                -General George S. Patton

I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                -DOCTOR Wuap

Comment

4th seems a little harsh given that we have never been 4th before.
                  fair point. i realize it's a pessimistic view, but consider the source! just didn't come away impressed with the basketball talent on that team. child's was the only guy on byu i feel outclassed that Saint Martins team.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                    I agree with most of this. I thought Bergerson looked bad in his early minutes with a few bad decisions but looked better later. Baxter seems like a project with a lot of upside. Looks like Harding can contribute right away - seems to have good basketball IQ along with good size and skill.

I'll disagree a bit about Nixon. I wouldn't go so far as to say he's the team MVP, but he brings tenacity and toughness to the team that doesn't always show up in the box score. He's not typically going to create his own shot, but he can convert on putbacks and (like last night) finish drives on the give and go. They're not running plays to get him shots, but he's going to get a few points per game because he's active.
                    Nixon is a glue guy who hustles and seems to bring what the team might need at the time. MVP is a little much, but he's an important player who was definitely missed during the time he was out last year.

Comment

fair point. i realize it's a pessimistic view, but consider the source! just didn't come away impressed with the basketball talent on that team. child's was the only guy on byu i feel outclassed that Saint Martins team.
                      teams tend to play to the level of competition. it was a 20 point lead in like the first five minutes. At that point I'm not sure how BYU reacted is that surprising. They have a lot to work on for sure. But it's too early to predict they'll be worse than San Francisco, or a team like that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        Harding will be a good player for BYU. He won't be a superstar scorer but I think he can be a good all around player. He will develop into an above average defender, he can dish the ball and rebound well from his position. He is a kid who should be able to defend decently positions 2-4 in time. If BYU is relying upon him to score it is a bad thing but he will be a solid #2 perimeter scorer who can also defend and be a really consummate team player.
                        Right now he and Rylan are pushing Zach for minutes in practice.

Comment

• Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                          Right now he and Rylan are pushing Zach for minutes in practice.
                          How well has Zach been shooting in practice? Freshman Zach, Sophomore Zach, or something between?
                          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
                            How well has Zach been shooting in practice? Freshman Zach, Sophomore Zach, or something between?
                            Between but the rest of his game is better than freshman level. When comfortable, Harding shoots as well. Ray is the best athlete of the three.

Comment

• My thoughts after 1 game:

1. Rylan looked like garbage to me. He doesn't look like a D-1 talent at all.

2. Harding is a Jake Toolson clone. He will fit well in Dave Rose system.

3. Gavin Baxter is extremely long and I think he will be a very good player. However at least this year, he is going to play out of position.

4. Hardnett still looks like Tim Drisdom

5. TJ is TJ, Yo is Yo

6. The non-con schedule is insane, they might enter conference play 9-6 or 8-7.

7. Luke still sucks

8. Zac is still a liability on both ends of the floor. He is a one trick pony and that trick didn't work last year.

9. This team actually needs Nick Emery.

10. Nixon is Magnusson 2.0. Dave Rose has some Bronco in him, he loves those gritty guys. Reality is Dalton Nixon should be a 8-10th man on this team and he will start.
                              *Banned*

Comment

• Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
                                My thoughts after 1 game:

1. Rylan looked like garbage to me. He doesn't look like a D-1 talent at all.

2. Harding is a Jake Toolson clone. He will fit well in Dave Rose system.

3. Gavin Baxter is extremely long and I think he will be a very good player. However at least this year, he is going to play out of position.

4. Hardnett still looks like Tim Drisdom

5. TJ is TJ, Yo is Yo

6. The non-con schedule is insane, they might enter conference play 9-6 or 8-7.

7. Luke still sucks

8. Zac is still a liability on both ends of the floor. He is a one trick pony and that trick didn't work last year.

9. This team actually needs Nick Emery.

10. Nixon is Magnusson 2.0. Dave Rose has some Bronco in him, he loves those gritty guys. Reality is Dalton Nixon should be a 8-10th man on this team and he will start.
                                Same body type? Is he "doughy?"

Comment

Working...
                                X