BYU Basketball 2016-2017

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Moliere
    One man.....one pie
    • Oct 2009
    • 27898

    #1366





    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

    Comment

    • Topper
      Pre-Historic Man
      • Nov 2011
      • 11764

      #1367
      Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
      I will accept this moral victory. Gonzaga is very good. We fought well.
      I think the team accepts moral victories which is why this team will never get over the hump. Good enough for many fans but disappointing when more grittiness and some better decision making and this team could be something. Instead it will be another season of being not good enough. I keep hoping ...
      "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

      Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

      Comment

      • imanihonjin
        Junior Member
        • Jun 2013
        • 3772

        #1368
        Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
        Maybe we learned something in the second half. I'll admit it would have really benefited TJ to sit on the bench during this one so he could get more playing time.

        Comment

        • imanihonjin
          Junior Member
          • Jun 2013
          • 3772

          #1369
          Originally posted by Topper View Post
          I think the team accepts moral victories which is why this team will never get over the hump. Good enough for many fans but disappointing when more grittiness and some better decision making and this team could be something. Instead it will be another season of being not good enough. I keep hoping ...
          There is a lot to be disappointed by with this team this year. Last night wasn't one of them for me. Sure there were times where the team didn't make great decisions and took stupid shots but overall I thought they showed some toughness to get back into it. I hope that this is the type of team we can see more consistently. If so, the sky is the limit when it all comes together for them.

          Comment

          • BlueK
            Senior Member
            • May 2011
            • 7199

            #1370
            Originally posted by byu71 View Post
            Good call. I lost my nerve and bet nothing. I am glad. I would have lost
            Good call. Take the money you would have lost and do something good with it now.

            Comment

            • BlueK
              Senior Member
              • May 2011
              • 7199

              #1371
              Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
              There is a lot to be disappointed by with this team this year. Last night wasn't one of them for me. Sure there were times where the team didn't make great decisions and took stupid shots but overall I thought they showed some toughness to get back into it. I hope that this is the type of team we can see more consistently. If so, the sky is the limit when it all comes together for them.
              I agree. There were stretches in the game where they looked good against a very good team. I hope this serves to teach them what they can do and helps them stop dropping to lower levels of play against the not so good teams.

              Comment

              • Topper
                Pre-Historic Man
                • Nov 2011
                • 11764

                #1372
                Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                I agree. There were stretches in the game where they looked good against a very good team. I hope this serves to teach them what they can do and helps them stop dropping to lower levels of play against the not so good teams.
                Lots of teams have stretches against good teams. The difference between good teams and not-so-good teams is consistency. This team has no consistency in making good decisions, and hence has a mediocre record.
                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                Comment

                • BlueK
                  Senior Member
                  • May 2011
                  • 7199

                  #1373
                  Originally posted by Topper View Post
                  Lots of teams have stretches against good teams. The difference between good teams and not-so-good teams is consistency. This team has no consistency in making good decisions, and hence has a mediocre record.
                  But no teams have had any good stretches against Gonzaga recently. They've been beating the crap out of everyone, including St. Mary's. They haven't had a semi close game since like the middle of December. But yes, this is certainly mediocre by BYU standards because Rose set the bar at making the tournament every year a while back. Last year and this year it's like we've fallen back to how it was in the Cleveland years. I still have hope they improve. Haws' play last night seemed like he may be coming along.
                  Last edited by BlueK; 02-03-2017, 01:28 PM.

                  Comment

                  • byu71
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 22070

                    #1374
                    Originally posted by Topper View Post
                    Lots of teams have stretches against good teams. The difference between good teams and not-so-good teams is consistency. This team has no consistency in making good decisions, and hence has a mediocre record.
                    Here is why I have some optimism. I know everyone is beating up on Emery, but he has played good defense and maybe is having a sophomore slump or something. He was dang good last year. Haws show sign of developing into a really nice player. Mika, I don't think he would look as good as he does if he was going up against decent bigmen each game, however games like last night I think will be a big help to his development. Bryant is looking better. You gotta love Childs.

                    Pessimism comes from knowing Zaga will probably be as good next year. WE have no depth. Anybody decent coming home from a mission or tranferring?

                    Comment

                    • hostile
                      lollygagger
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 5736

                      #1375
                      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      Pessimism comes from knowing Zaga will probably be as good next year. WE have no depth. Anybody decent coming home from a mission or tranferring?
                      I believe Worthington gets home from his mission next year.
                      "You interns are like swallows. You shit all over my patients for six weeks and then fly off."

                      "Don't be sorry, it's not your fault. It's my fault for overestimating your competence."

                      Comment

                      • BlueK
                        Senior Member
                        • May 2011
                        • 7199

                        #1376
                        Originally posted by Topper View Post
                        No moral victories.
                        Only moral losses.

                        Comment

                        • BlueK
                          Senior Member
                          • May 2011
                          • 7199

                          #1377
                          Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                          Here is why I have some optimism. I know everyone is beating up on Emery, but he has played good defense and maybe is having a sophomore slump or something. He was dang good last year. Haws show sign of developing into a really nice player. Mika, I don't think he would look as good as he does if he was going up against decent bigmen each game, however games like last night I think will be a big help to his development. Bryant is looking better. You gotta love Childs.

                          Pessimism comes from knowing Zaga will probably be as good next year. WE have no depth. Anybody decent coming home from a mission or tranferring?
                          Hopefully Popoola still signs and Rose has shown some ability to attract transfers and take advantage of the fairly new grad transfer rule. But we won't know who is available there until after the season is over. Who knows, maybe Worthington can be a serviceable backup next year. His defense was actually decent.

                          Comment

                          • chrisrenrut
                            Strikes and Gutters
                            • Jul 2009
                            • 2299

                            #1378
                            Originally posted by hostile View Post
                            I believe Worthington gets home from his mission next year.

                            Comment

                            • BlueK
                              Senior Member
                              • May 2011
                              • 7199

                              #1379
                              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              Here is why I have some optimism. I know everyone is beating up on Emery, but he has played good defense and maybe is having a sophomore slump or something. He was dang good last year. Haws show sign of developing into a really nice player. Mika, I don't think he would look as good as he does if he was going up against decent bigmen each game, however games like last night I think will be a big help to his development. Bryant is looking better. You gotta love Childs.

                              Pessimism comes from knowing Zaga will probably be as good next year. WE have no depth. Anybody decent coming home from a mission or tranferring?
                              The MWC never had a rival team as good as Gonzaga usually is. Maybe 2011 with SDSU, but we were just as good as they were. I know it's normal for fans to measure their team against the others in the league, but let's say the Zags are in the final four next year and we make the sweet 16. I wouldn't whine about not having won the WCC, although that may be even more important to some folks than the NCAA tournament. And yes, I realize this team isn't there yet. With everyone except Rose back we will improve. The question is by how much.

                              Comment

                              • Pelado
                                Bald not naked
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 21153

                                #1380
                                Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                                Anybody decent coming home from a mission or tranferring?
                                Originally posted by hostile View Post
                                I believe Worthington gets home from his mission next year.
                                Shouldn't hostile's comment have come from Non Sequitur?
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

                                Comment

                                Working...