Would you be in favor of reinstating Davies now?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • scottie
    Junior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5247

    #1

    Would you be in favor of reinstating Davies now?

    Would you be in favor of reinstating Davies now, in time for the MWC and NCAA tourneys? Reading about the Washington State coach reinstating the PAC-10's leading scorer yesterday in time for the PAC-10 tourney, five days after the player was arrested on a marijuana possession charge, got me thinking about this. Is BYU/the Church too proud to do something like that? Would it somehow be a distraction? or more of a "Daniel Larusso is gonna fight?!" moment?

    I voted A.
    55
    A. Yes, I don't think he should have been suspended in the first place
    47.27%
    26
    B. Yes, I agreed with the suspension but he's paid his penance
    9.09%
    5
    C. Yes, but I'd have reservations about reinstating him so quickly
    1.82%
    1
    D. I'm not sure
    12.73%
    7
    E. No, but I'd have real reservations about keeping him suspended
    0.00%
    0
    F. No, not reinstated before the tourney, but before next season
    18.18%
    10
    G. No, leave the suspension as is
    10.91%
    6
  • pellegrino
    miserere me
    • Jan 2009
    • 12100

    #2
    you need a "Hell Yes!" option.
    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
    Alessandro Manzoni

    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

    pelagius

    Comment

    • Goatnapper'96
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 10924

      #3
      Originally posted by scottie View Post
      Would you be in favor of reinstating Davies now, in time for the MWC and NCAA tourneys? Reading about the Washington State coach reinstating the PAC-10's leading scorer yesterday in time for the PAC-10 tourney, five days after the player was arrested on a marijuana possession charge, got me thinking about this. Is BYU/the Church too proud to do something like that? Would it somehow be a distraction? or more of a "Daniel Larusso is gonna fight?!" moment?

      I voted A.
      It would increase BYU's chances of winning so I vote yes.
      Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
      -General George S. Patton

      I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
      -DOCTOR Wuap

      Comment

      • SeattleUte
        Faith crisis consultant
        • Nov 2008
        • 20837

        #4
        YES if it was just sex an not an academic problem, which would be more egregious.
        When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

        --Jonathan Swift

        Comment

        • jay santos
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 13652

          #5
          No way in hell that's happening. The institution has the institution's reputation to protect now. Institution's reputation is more important than doing the right thing.

          Comment

          • DrumNFeather
            Invisible Swordsman
            • Nov 2008
            • 8854

            #6
            What would be interesting would be to see how this would impact the PR component and who "won."
            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

            Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

            Comment

            • DapperDan
              Whut?
              • Mar 2010
              • 1132

              #7
              Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
              What would be interesting would be to see how this would impact the PR component and who "won."
              I think the only people that would be upset about reinstating Davies would be the Tex's of the world. Everyone else would feel Davies had more than done his time. But Santos is right, BYU's reputation is the only thing that matters here.

              Comment

              • DrumNFeather
                Invisible Swordsman
                • Nov 2008
                • 8854

                #8
                Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                I think the only people that would be upset about reinstating Davies would be the Tex's of the world. Everyone else would feel Davies had more than done his time. But Santos is right, BYU's reputation is the only thing that matters here.
                That's what I mean though. Many of the national pundits, while saying that this seems harsh, also have said they respect BYU for doing something like this now when so many other schools fold to the pressure. If he was reinstated, that's where the national perception would go, I think.
                "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

                Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69706

                  #9
                  Sorry, but this poll is a waste of time.
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • Goatnapper'96
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10924

                    #10
                    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                    Sorry, but this poll is a waste of time.
                    Now that is a good litmus test for polls on sports message boards!
                    Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                    -General George S. Patton

                    I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                    -DOCTOR Wuap

                    Comment

                    • jay santos
                      Senior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 13652

                      #11
                      Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                      That's what I mean though. Many of the national pundits, while saying that this seems harsh, also have said they respect BYU for doing something like this now when so many other schools fold to the pressure. If he was reinstated, that's where the national perception would go, I think.
                      I think BYU would get mocked for being hypocritical and bowing to the pressure of wanting to win in basketball. Therefore they would never do it in a million years.

                      The reason people are crediting BYU is they assume the church really does kick students out for sex. When in actuality, they don't. They only do it when there is potential for it becoming public. So the church's actions with Davies actually are inconsistent and hypocritical, yet they appear consistent. And if the church overturned the decision, it actually would be a consistent act and the right thing to do, yet it would appear hypocritical.
                      Last edited by jay santos; 03-09-2011, 10:08 AM.

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69706

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Goatnapper'96 View Post
                        Now that is a good litmus test for polls on sports message boards!
                        I am going to post a poll to see if I should be awarded $10M due to my good looks. Seems about as likely.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • DapperDan
                          Whut?
                          • Mar 2010
                          • 1132

                          #13
                          Originally posted by DrumNFeather View Post
                          That's what I mean though. Many of the national pundits, while saying that this seems harsh, also have said they respect BYU for doing something like this now when so many other schools fold to the pressure. If he was reinstated, that's where the national perception would go, I think.
                          You could hold Davies out through the MWC tourney and the pundits could still ham on about how impressed they are with BYU flagellating itself. A 5 games suspension, especially considering the timing and seeding fallout, is still a very harsh penalty. Hell 2 or 3 games is harsh considering the nature of the violation and the timing.

                          BYU's reputation is only in danger of being damaged among the TBMs.

                          Comment

                          • Goatnapper'96
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 10924

                            #14
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I am going to post a poll to see if I should be awarded $10M due to my good looks. Seems about as likely.
                            I would vote yes, but I voted yes on the Davies poll as well. Suffice it say that it is likely I just have low standards.
                            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                            -General George S. Patton

                            I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                            -DOCTOR Wuap

                            Comment

                            • NorthwestUteFan
                              אלוף
                              • Oct 2010
                              • 3384

                              #15
                              Do y'all feel differently knowing this wasn't just getting a little sumthin'-sumthin' on his hang-down, but also that knocked up his 'thang on the side'? The cynic in me says the situation would be entirely different without the baby on the way (a fact confirmed by the girl's family, and is "very likely" to be his).

                              FTR, the UW Huskies just suspended their senior PG for the PAC tournament (no word on a suspension for the NCAA tourney, if they make it). Ironically they waited until charges were filed. He also got a little sumthin'-sumthin', but the problem was he first provided her with alcohol and second she was only 16 years old (he is ~22?).

                              So will BYU go the Husky route, keep him out for the tourney, then reinstate him for March Madness? I honestly can't see that happening.

                              Comment

                              Working...