Noah Hartsock needs to____________

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Indy Coug
    Heartless Bastard
    • Dec 2008
    • 18747

    #31
    Hartsock 3pt% leads the team by 5%

    Everything in life is an approximation.

    http://twitter.com/CougarStats

    Comment

    • woot
      Resident Science Cop
      • Nov 2008
      • 5531

      #32
      Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
      I'll throw this out there...that 3-pt make last night might have been a curse rather than a blessing. Flame away.
      I had the same thought. I don't think his 3-point shooting helps this team, and was hoping Rose would tell him to knock it off. On a team already full of chuckers, having a 4 trying to join them isn't good.

      Comment

      • BGRTHNUMEGO
        Junior Member
        • May 2010
        • 3670

        #33
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        Are you going to be at the game? He has some ok moves coming through that lineup. Watch him...definitely has some swagger to him, and after doing it before every game, you can't help but improve your vert a little.

        Davies has some sick moves inside the players circle. Not as good as Loyd, but pretty tight for a guy that is pushing 7 feet. It almost looks like he is snaking but I didnt think people did that dance move anymore.
        Maybe the snake was popular at Provo High when Davies was there. That would seem to follow the typical life cycle of fashion trends.

        I'm going to be on the look out for swagger from Hartstork on Saturday.

        Comment

        • BGRTHNUMEGO
          Junior Member
          • May 2010
          • 3670

          #34
          Originally posted by woot View Post
          I had the same thought. I don't think his 3-point shooting helps this team, and was hoping Rose would tell him to knock it off. On a team already full of chuckers, having a 4 trying to join them isn't good.
          The biggest positive for him out of the AFA game was that he showed he had to adapt due to the slump he was in and he was regularly stepping inside the line when the ball was rotated to him. He hadn't been doing that for 2 weeks...he was constantly behind the line unless he was long the baseline.

          Comment

          • Surfah
            Where's Wallace?
            • Nov 2008
            • 33726

            #35
            Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
            Are you going to be at the game? He has some ok moves coming through that lineup. Watch him...definitely has some swagger to him, and after doing it before every game, you can't help but improve your vert a little.

            Davies has some sick moves inside the players circle. Not as good as Loyd, but pretty tight for a guy that is pushing 7 feet. It almost looks like he is snaking but I didnt think people did that dance move anymore.
            I actually think that Davies is doing his version of the Dougie.
            "Nobody listens to Turtle."
            -Turtle
            sigpic

            Comment

            • TripletDaddy
              sweet triple
              • Nov 2008
              • 58186

              #36
              Originally posted by Surfah View Post
              I actually think that Davies is doing his version of the Dougie.
              Possible.

              I guess someone taught him how to Dougie.
              Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

              sigpic

              Comment

              • KillerDog
                a.k.a. K-dog
                • Feb 2009
                • 4196

                #37
                Originally posted by woot View Post
                I had the same thought. I don't think his 3-point shooting helps this team, and was hoping Rose would tell him to knock it off. On a team already full of chuckers, having a 4 trying to join them isn't good.
                I disagree. I think forcing the other team to respect his range creates space for Jimmer and opens up other components of Noah's game (offensive rebounding in particular). Look at DW down in Arizona. He doesn't shoot very many 3s but he makes a decent number of those he shoots. This forces close-out beyond the arc by the guy guarding him and allows his dribble drive and offensive rebounding to be more effective.

                I think Noah's mistake was that he started looking for the 3 too often and to the exclusion of other things but I like him at 2 or 3 a game.

                Comment

                • Blueintheface
                  Senior Member
                  • Sep 2009
                  • 15382

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                  Not throwing stones here...I looked up the stats before I posted that and I follow BYU basketball as closely as anyone so...thanks.

                  His 3-pt shot is trending down. My opinion remains the same.
                  "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                  "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                  Comment

                  • BGRTHNUMEGO
                    Junior Member
                    • May 2010
                    • 3670

                    #39
                    Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                    Not throwing stones here...I looked up the stats before I posted that and I follow BYU basketball as closely as anyone so...thanks.

                    His 3-pt shot is trending down. My opinion remains the same.
                    Seems to me it is trending up.

                    Comment

                    • woot
                      Resident Science Cop
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 5531

                      #40
                      Originally posted by KillerDog View Post
                      I disagree. I think forcing the other team to respect his range creates space for Jimmer and opens up other components of Noah's game (offensive rebounding in particular). Look at DW down in Arizona. He doesn't shoot very many 3s but he makes a decent number of those he shoots. This forces close-out beyond the arc by the guy guarding him and allows his dribble drive and offensive rebounding to be more effective.

                      I think Noah's mistake was that he started looking for the 3 too often and to the exclusion of other things but I like him at 2 or 3 a game.
                      Good points, but I just worry about our inside presence, and wonder if having him hit the occasional 3 is worth not having him inside. Having said that, however, it occurs to me that the offense is such that there's really only one guy inside, and having Noah and Davies on the court at the same time is largely for defensive purposes, not because it fits our offensive scheme. So perhaps it's fine. I still think his 15-18 foot game is where he should focus, but perhaps the occasional 3 isn't bad.

                      Comment

                      • woot
                        Resident Science Cop
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 5531

                        #41
                        Originally posted by BGRTHNUMEGO View Post
                        Seems to me it is trending up.
                        He was at 70+% at one point, and missed 7 or so in a row before the one he hit last night.

                        Comment

                        • Indy Coug
                          Heartless Bastard
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 18747

                          #42
                          Originally posted by woot View Post
                          He was at 70+% at one point, and missed 7 or so in a row before the one he hit last night.
                          So? Jimmer went 3 for 16 his previous two games. I don't think either stat means jack squat.

                          Here's a tip for your social scientists: drawing conclusions from a sample size of 7 is always a good idea.
                          Everything in life is an approximation.

                          http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                          Comment

                          • Blueintheface
                            Senior Member
                            • Sep 2009
                            • 15382

                            #43
                            Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                            So? Jimmer went 3 for 16 his previous two games. I don't think either stat means jack squat.

                            Here's a tip for your social scientists: drawing conclusions from a sample size of 7 is always a good idea.
                            Here's a tip for you:

                            I tried to be nice but your own ego got in the way.

                            I'll save you the post that will inevitably follow....
                            "Either evolution or intelligent design can account for the athlete, but neither can account for the sports fan." - Robert Brault

                            "Once I seen the trades go down and the other guys signed elsewhere," he said, "I knew it was my time now." - Derrick Favors

                            Comment

                            • woot
                              Resident Science Cop
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 5531

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              So? Jimmer went 3 for 16 his previous two games. I don't think either stat means jack squat.

                              Here's a tip for your social scientists: drawing conclusions from a sample size of 7 is always a good idea.
                              Then apparently I wasn't talking to you. I'm not a social scientist, by the way.

                              Comment

                              • Indy Coug
                                Heartless Bastard
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 18747

                                #45
                                Hartsock is averaging just over 2 three point attempts per game in conference play. His percentage is just fine and if he isn't hitting, it's not like he jacks up 6 or 7 until he starts hitting -- like Emery and someone else who shall-not-be-named does.
                                Everything in life is an approximation.

                                http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                                Comment

                                Working...