Utes going to a private scrimmage vs Arizona

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • PaloAltoCougar
    Semper infra dignitatem
    • Nov 2008
    • 16938

    #31
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    It's fun to dogpile on SU at times like this, but I admire his willingness to make bold predictions.
    Absolutely, I'd be very sad if he ever stopped.

    Comment

    • LiveCoug
      LA Ute loves me
      • Nov 2008
      • 18488

      #32
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      It's fun to dogpile on SU at times like this, but I admire his willingness to make bold predictions.
      Really? His bold predictions are based on him wanting BYU to suck at anything and everything. Not very admirable.

      Comment

      • woot
        Resident Science Cop
        • Nov 2008
        • 5531

        #33
        Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        Really? His bold predictions are based on him wanting BYU to suck at anything and everything. Not very admirable.
        Yeah here's a prediction: BYU loses by 40 to UCLA next week. Ooh so bold!

        Comment

        • Surfah
          Where's Wallace?
          • Nov 2008
          • 33726

          #34
          Originally posted by jay santos View Post
          This will be a fun thread to revisit after the game.
          Yes, it is.
          "Nobody listens to Turtle."
          -Turtle
          sigpic

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69720

            #35
            Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
            Really? His bold predictions are based on him wanting BYU to suck at anything and everything. Not very admirable.
            Yes, and look how much fun we are having now with his prediction. And he will shrug it off because he is a good sport.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • ERCougar
              Junior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 10978

              #36
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Yes, and look how much fun we are having now with his prediction. And he will shrug it off because he is a good sport.
              It would be bold if he would show up afterwards. Instead, he waits until we forget about it. That's the opposite of bold (and a good sport). And amid all the fun, let's remember--he's the one who called out Cardiac (or really, made a snide remark when Cardiac called himself out) because Vegas didn't favor BYU by as much as Cardiac predicted they would.

              And seriously--is there a worse prognosticator out there? It makes me feel better about being Mormon.

              I think I'll bump this every day.
              Last edited by ERCougar; 12-12-2010, 09:23 AM.
              At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
              -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

              Comment

              • SeattleUte
                Faith crisis consultant
                • Nov 2008
                • 20837

                #37
                Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                It would be bold if he would show up afterwards. Instead, he waits until we forget about it. That's the opposite of bold (and a good sport). And amid all the fun, let's remember--he's the one who called out Cardiac (or really, made a snide remark when Cardiac called himself out) because Vegas didn't favor BYU by as much as Cardiac predicted they would.

                And seriously--is there a worse prognosticator out there? It makes me feel better about being Mormon.

                I think I'll bump this every day.
                You are forgetting a few things (3D will vouch for me). I accurately predicted in 2008 the Utes would win out and then that they would beat Alabama, and that in 09 Texas would finish no. 2 despite losing to Alabama. I predicted Washington would handle New Mexico in the NCAA playoffs last year. In a sense I was more right than you were about BYU v. Florida last year. It required a crazy good game by Michael Loyd for BYU to beat a very deficient Florida team in multiple overtimes.

                I don't think BYU can legitimately compete with the strong major teams, especially on the road. But this is fairly typical of MWC teams. See New Mexico v. Washington last year; Louisville v. UNLV yesterday. Apparently Arizona really sucks this year, or it's just a freakish Jimmer v. Arizona thing. We'll see how badly UCLA sucks next Saturday. I think both Washington's Pac 12 schools would beat BYU.
                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                --Jonathan Swift

                Comment

                • Jeff Lebowski
                  Corporate lackey for Jesus
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 69720

                  #38
                  Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                  It would be bold if he would show up afterwards. Instead, he waits until we forget about it. That's the opposite of bold (and a good sport). And amid all the fun, let's remember--he's the one who called out Cardiac (or really, made a snide remark when Cardiac called himself out) because Vegas didn't favor BYU by as much as Cardiac predicted they would.

                  And seriously--is there a worse prognosticator out there? It makes me feel better about being Mormon.

                  I think I'll bump this every day.
                  You seem kind of grouchy today. Long shift?
                  "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                  "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                  "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                  Comment

                  • ERCougar
                    Junior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 10978

                    #39
                    Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                    You are forgetting a few things (3D will vouch for me). I accurately predicted in 2008 the Utes would win out and then that they would beat Alabama, and that in 09 Texas would finish no. 2 despite losing to Alabama. I predicted Washington would handle New Mexico in the NCAA playoffs last year. In a sense I was more right than you were about BYU v. Florida last year. It required a crazy good game by Michael Loyd for BYU to beat a very deficient Florida team in multiple overtimes.

                    I don't think BYU can legitimately compete with the strong major teams, especially on the road. But this is fairly typical of MWC teams. See New Mexico v. Washington last year; Louisville v. UNLV yesterday. Apparently Arizona really sucks this year, or it's just a freakish Jimmer v. Arizona thing. We'll see how badly UCLA sucks next Saturday. I think both Washington's Pac 12 schools would beat BYU.
                    I bolded the blind-homer/BYU-hating part for you (If you pick a number enough times, you'll eventually be right. Do you really want to go back and count your record on these? Didn't think so...) How bold and sporting of you to come back and admit that:
                    1) BYU really DID lose to Florida because we should really ignore that one of our players had a good game.
                    2) Apparently, Arizona sucks
                    3) If UCLA loses to BYU, they must suck too.
                    4) UW and WSU are both better than BYU. This is probably a smarter prediction strategy for you, since they'll never actually play. And combine this with the first corollary, you could write off any loss to Arizona or UCLA to a good game that any of their players might have, which really means that they won.
                    Last edited by ERCougar; 12-12-2010, 10:22 AM.
                    At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                    -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                    Comment

                    • ERCougar
                      Junior Member
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 10978

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                      You seem kind of grouchy today. Long shift?
                      Ha, you might think so, since after finishing a string of nights, my flight plans were screwed up and I got stuck in SLC overnight, but a fun time at the ESA more than made up for that. Still a little sleep-deprive so maybe that makes me a bit more motivated to call out SU than usual, but I'm definitely smiling.
                      At least the Big Ten went after a big-time addition in Nebraska; the Pac-10 wanted a game so badly, it added Utah
                      -Berry Trammel, 12/3/10

                      Comment

                      • LA Ute
                        Receiver of Memory
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 19512

                        #41
                        Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
                        Really? His bold predictions are based on him wanting BYU to suck at anything and everything. Not very admirable.
                        Yes, as opposed to the widespread desire here for Utah to do well.
                        “There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
                        ― W.H. Auden


                        "God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
                        -- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons


                        "It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
                        --Antoine de Saint-Exupery

                        Comment

                        • Jarid in Cedar
                          CS Institutional Memory
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 13234

                          #42
                          Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                          Ha, you might think so, since after finishing a string of nights, my flight plans were screwed up and I got stuck in SLC overnight, but a fun time at the ESA more than made up for that. Still a little sleep-deprive so maybe that makes me a bit more motivated to call out SU than usual, but I'm definitely smiling.
                          I know where you can get some valium
                          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                          "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                          "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                          -Rick Majerus

                          Comment

                          • Portland Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 5647

                            #43
                            Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                            I bolded the blind-homer/BYU-hating part for you (If you pick a number enough times, you'll eventually be right. Do you really want to go back and count your record on these? Didn't think so...) How bold and sporting of you to come back and admit that:
                            1) BYU really DID lose to Florida because we should really ignore that one of our players had a good game.
                            2) Apparently, Arizona sucks
                            3) If UCLA loses to BYU, they must suck too.
                            4) UW and WSU are both better than BYU. This is probably a smarter prediction strategy for you, since they'll never actually play. And combine this with the first corollary, you could write off any loss to Arizona or UCLA to a good game that any of their players might have, which really means that they won.
                            Didn't UCLA just lose to Montana? UCLA is not that good.

                            Comment

                            • CardiacCoug
                              вот так штука
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 11013

                              #44
                              Originally posted by ERCougar View Post
                              It would be bold if he would show up afterwards. Instead, he waits until we forget about it. That's the opposite of bold (and a good sport). And amid all the fun, let's remember--he's the one who called out Cardiac (or really, made a snide remark when Cardiac called himself out) because Vegas didn't favor BYU by as much as Cardiac predicted they would.
                              To be fair, I took SU's snide remark (the "fish in a barrel" stuff) as being mostly tongue-in-cheek. I mean, he didn't even know BYU and Arizona were playing this season and doesn't have a TV in his home so how serious could he be about his knowledge of these teams?

                              And Arizona had been pretty good before the BYU game and has a legit lottery pick on their team. If they played BYU ten times, they would 2 or 3.

                              The final line for the game was about 3.5 to 4 after opening at 2, so looks like most of the smart money was on BYU, for what it's worth.

                              Comment

                              • frank ryan
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 12381

                                #45
                                Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
                                To be fair, I took SU's snide remark (the "fish in a barrel" stuff) as being mostly tongue-in-cheek. I mean, he didn't even know BYU and Arizona were playing this season and doesn't have a TV in his home so how serious could he be about his knowledge of these teams?

                                And Arizona had been pretty good before the BYU game and has a legit lottery pick on their team. If they played BYU ten times, they would 2 or 3.

                                The final line for the game was about 3.5 to 4 after opening at 2, so looks like most of the smart money was on BYU, for what it's worth.
                                I vote we make a thread just for SU's predictions. After we see how accurate they are, we can take turns inviting him to our houses so he can divine water.

                                Comment

                                Working...