Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BYU Basketball 24-25-Bring out the Jelly!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    This guy is taking the art of coping to an all new level.

Do you think he is serious? Because that is just a crazy way of thinking. I get that as rivalry smack, but do people really believe this? I can be pretty naive and guilty of wanting to think the best of people, so when I see tweets like this I think, "You can't really be serious!"

But then a visit to our friends over on utefans brings perspective. This thread is pretty awesome:

So if you're not good enough, it's religious discrimination, right?

This contribution by everyone's BFF lapuke referencing all of us BYU Fans is very instructive (as well as being a classic example of projection):

Here’s the thought process:
    1. We live by a higher, holier standard than the world.
    2. Yet we crave the world’s validation and approval.
    3. Any time we are denied that validation and approval, it’s because they are terrible people who discriminate against us because of our faith.*
    *It has nothing to do with how we behave.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Cheese Fries is mentally unwell

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

Do you think he is serious? Because that is just a crazy way of thinking. I get that as rivalry smack, but do people really believe this? I can be pretty naive and guilty of wanting to think the best of people, so when I see tweets like this I think, "You can't really be serious!"

But then a visit to our friends over on utefans brings perspective. This thread is pretty awesome:

So if you're not good enough, it's religious discrimination, right?

This contribution by everyone's BFF lapuke referencing all of us BYU Fans is very instructive (as well as being a classic example of projection):
        Holy cow. That thread is amazing.

How these folks can mock CB/BYU/LDS/etc while engaging in that level of myopia and tribalism is something to behold.
        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Hilarious logic. Wait till he hears what Duke had to pay Coach K to "stomach" Durham.

Comment

Holy cow. That thread is amazing.

How these folks can mock CB/BYU/LDS/etc while engaging in that level of myopia and tribalism is something to behold.
            LOL..

BTW, BYU pre-med grads shouldn't be applying to UoU med school anyway. That place is too expensive (like $45K in state, double that out of state) especially for a subpar school. UT SW's tuition, for example, is only $34K and it is actually ranked in the top 25. And they give scholarships to all the out of state students anyway so they are only pay like $20K. Baylor's tuition (down in Houston) is even less and it is rank even higher. BYU pre-med should be told to venture out of Utah.

Also, I was told that the UoU S.J. Quinney law school cut its enrollment size (by about 23% since 2010) to boost its rankings. How is that serving the good citizens of Utah would tax dollars go to prop it up? (And it's law school tuition is through the roof as well.) Y'all in Utah should be telling your representatives to cut UoU's funding and send more money to UVU which is more of a service to more students.
            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post

LOL..

BTW, BYU pre-med grads shouldn't be applying to UoU med school anyway. That place is too expensive (like $45K in state, double that out of state) especially for a subpar school. UT SW's tuition, for example, is only $34K and it is actually ranked in the top 25. And they give scholarships to all the out of state students anyway so they are only pay like $20K. Baylor's tuition (down in Houston) is even less and it is rank even higher. BYU pre-med should be told to venture out of Utah.

Also, I was told that the UoU S.J. Quinney law school cut its enrollment size (by about 23% since 2010) to boost its rankings. How is that serving the good citizens of Utah would tax dollars go to prop it up? (And it's law school tuition is through the roof as well.) Y'all in Utah should be telling your representatives to cut UoU's funding and send more money to UVU which is more of a service to more students.
              As you may recall, my son was accepted to the UU med school and was planning to accept but then got on offer for UTSW (where he attended with your SIL) and quickly switched. Yes, better med school and much cheaper.

All this talk about a UU med school bias against BYU grads is pointless without some hard data. I suspect there isn't any bias going on, but they simply get a ton of applications from BYU. Last I checked, BYU is #5 in the country in sending grads on to med schools. That is where the discussion should have started and stopped on both the CB and utefans.net threads, but they can't help themselves. Both forums are basically the same.

By the way, I hear Utah residents whine all the time that BYU admissions discriminates against applicants from the state of Utah. It simply isn't true.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

By the way, I hear Utah residents whine all the time that BYU admissions discriminates against applicants from the state of Utah. It simply isn't true.
                I always "heard" that BYU wanted a more diverse student body (i.e. less from Utah) and so favored those from out of state. So someone with a lower GPA from out of state would get in over someone from Utah with a higher GPA. This has been repeated at church for at least the past 15 years. Not true?

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post

I always "heard" that BYU wanted a more diverse student body (i.e. less from Utah) and so favored those from out of state. So someone with a lower GPA from out of state would get in over someone from Utah with a higher GPA. This has been repeated at church for at least the past 15 years. Not true?
                  Completely false. Urban legend.

Comment

Originally posted by USUC View Post

Yes, false. BYU wants to maintain its mostly white demographic. This is one of the reasons they changed the name of their 'Lamanite Generation' dance group to Living Legends, making it more inclusive of whites.
                    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2024/...istant-coaches

Kevin Young is hiring a familiar name (to him) as sources tell me BYU is set to hire Nevada Assistant Athletic Director Doug Stewart as Chief of Staff.

The chief of staff is something that could evolve over time, but part of the responsibilities will be to help manage NIL and advising in other capacities. This is not one of the five assistant coach positions.

Comment

Doug Stewart as Chief of Staff seems like a very solid hire.
                        "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react." - Charles Swindoll

Comment

https://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2024/...tranfer-portal

Updates on some transfer portal targets for BYU

Keba Keita, Utah - "BYU has some competition, but as of right now I would call BYU the favorites to land Keba."

Chaz Lanier, North Florida - "A 6-foot-4 guard, Lanier combines both production and efficiency. 247 Sports rates him as the 10th best transfer this cycle; for context, Jaxson Robinson is rated as the 35th best transfer. Lanier has a lot of suitors from top schools, but sources tell me BYU is right in there among the top schools to land Lanier"

Berke Buyuktuncel, UCLA - "Berke is a high upside player with NBA potential; in ESPN’s latest 2025 NBA mock draft they projected him to go 42 overall. Berke may not be on the top of BYU’s board but he is a guy they are pursuing."

Elijah Crawford, Stanford Signee - "Crawford is rated a 4-star recruit by ESPN and 247’s composite rankings. BYU is one to watch for here due to Dunson’s relationship with Crawford."

International Players - "Sources have told me BYU is keeping at least one spot held for an international player."

Comment

Reports are that Caleb Lohner is transferring to Utah...to play football...

Comment

Originally posted by byufan4ever View Post
                              Reports are that Caleb Lohner is transferring to Utah...to play football...
                              Will wonders never cease?

Comment

Good for Caleb. The number of people who are capable of playing two sports at the Power 4 level has to be incredibly small.

Comment

Working...
                                X