BYU Basketball 2023-2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
    This seems like a home run hire. The guy was a finalist for multiple NBA head coaching gigs and is now coaching BYU. Crazy.
    Totally agree. Sometimes it's nice to have billionaire alumni. I just hope it doesn't hurt the Utah Jazz.

Comment

• Was watching Drake Toll on Locked on Big 12 and he was raving about the new hire and towards the end he mentioned something like "Pope leaves, no goodbye, and the further away we get from his leaving the more we find out how tumultuous the program was and how tumultuous the locker room was and that things weren't always rosy around his program." Any idea wtf he's talking about? What did I miss?

Comment

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
        Was watching Drake Toll on Locked on Big 12 and he was raving about the new hire and towards the end he mentioned something like "Pope leaves, no goodbye, and the further away we get from his leaving the more we find out how tumultuous the program was and how tumultuous the locker room was and that things weren't always rosy around his program." Any idea wtf he's talking about? What did I miss?
        Don't know but maybe he's referring to the several guys who've entered the portal?
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post

Don't know but maybe he's referring to the several guys who've entered the portal?
          That wouldn't make sense. They entered the portal after he left.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Was watching Drake Toll on Locked on Big 12 and he was raving about the new hire and towards the end he mentioned something like "Pope leaves, no goodbye, and the further away we get from his leaving the more we find out how tumultuous the program was and how tumultuous the locker room was and that things weren't always rosy around his program." Any idea wtf he's talking about? What did I miss?
            Sounds like hearsay and probably blowing things out of proportion. No locker room is without its issues and when something like this happens people will focus solely on hte negative stuff. Pope did a great job at BYU. The team this year was somewhat masterfully put together, especially given the limitations in recruiting kids to BYU. He clearly found guys that fit a certain skill set and used them very well. He's a good recruiter and coach and I think he'll do well at Kentucky. The problem with Kentucky is they don't want you to do well. They want you to win every championship every year.

I'm excited for Kevin Young. No one knows how well he'll do at BYU. He could totally flop. But I guess I'm excited just with the fact that BYU is showing they are invested in having a very good program. BYU is notoriously cheap, but they didn't go cheap on this hire and that points to them really taking this seriously and being happy with being the bottom of the barrel of a big conference. The future looks bright, not because of Kevin Young but because we found out BYU wants to invest in sports.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Sounds like hearsay and probably blowing things out of proportion. No locker room is without its issues and when something like this happens people will focus solely on hte negative stuff. Pope did a great job at BYU. The team this year was somewhat masterfully put together, especially given the limitations in recruiting kids to BYU. He clearly found guys that fit a certain skill set and used them very well. He's a good recruiter and coach and I think he'll do well at Kentucky. The problem with Kentucky is they don't want you to do well. They want you to win every championship every year.

I'm excited for Kevin Young. No one knows how well he'll do at BYU. He could totally flop. But I guess I'm excited just with the fact that BYU is showing they are invested in having a very good program. BYU is notoriously cheap, but they didn't go cheap on this hire and that points to them really taking this seriously and being happy with being the bottom of the barrel of a big conference. The future looks bright, not because of Kevin Young but because we found out BYU wants to invest in sports.
              Exactly. This is a new era.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

That wouldn't make sense. They entered the portal after he left.
                I didn't say the theory made sense.
                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

That was easily our best team since Jimmer's team and until the tournament, I thought they might even be better than that team. All that to say that I don't believe a team can play that well together in a conference like that if things are "tumultuous." So, I honestly have no idea what he's referring to, but he stated it like it was common knowledge so I thought perhaps I'd missed some news. I'm guessing he gets his BYU news from CB and maybe he was reading about a lot of anger and rumors there?

Comment

lol sure 'tumultuous.' So tumultuous that multiple guys immediately entered the portal upon losing their leader. Look I know everyone was probably punching air after blowing that good seed in the tourney, but give me a break.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

That was easily our best team since Jimmer's team and until the tournament, I thought they might even be better than that team. All that to say that I don't believe a team can play that well together in a conference like that if things are "tumultuous." So, I honestly have no idea what he's referring to, but he stated it like it was common knowledge so I thought perhaps I'd missed some news. I'm guessing he gets his BYU news from CB and maybe he was reading about a lot of anger and rumors there?
                      When Kobe and Shaq were teammates, their relationship was tumultuous, but those teams seemed to do okay. Winning has a way of healing tumult.
                      "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Comment

• What did ya'll think of Kevin Young on his press conference / introduction on BYUTV? His personality is almost polar opposite of Mark Pope. Whereas Pope is very rah rah very super enthusiastic (almost fake enthusiasm I would say), Young is very low key. He seemed kinda monotone when he was talking. Maybe he was nervous? Or maybe he's just super chill. I was hoping for a little more enthusiasm, as that can be contagious. But, I'm 100% behind him. LET'S GOOOO!
                          "Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% how you react." - Charles Swindoll

Comment

• Originally posted by byufan4ever View Post
                            What did ya'll think of Kevin Young on his press conference / introduction on BYUTV? His personality is almost polar opposite of Mark Pope. Whereas Pope is very rah rah very super enthusiastic (almost fake enthusiasm I would say), Young is very low key. He seemed kinda monotone when he was talking. Maybe he was nervous? Or maybe he's just super chill. I was hoping for a little more enthusiasm, as that can be contagious. But, I'm 100% behind him. LET'S GOOOO!
                            From the Deseret News article:

"He figures he’s received six or seven technical fouls in his coaching career, fewer recently than before. For that, he credits his wife, the former Melissa Bailey of Omaha, Nebraska, a then-BYU student whom he met when he was living in on-campus housing at BYU and coaching the Utah Flash of the then-NBA D League (now the G League).

“Honestly, not that many (technicals) because that hit the pocketbook and my wife scolded me for that,” he said. “All jokes aside on that, what really helped me in my temperament, I would say, is just having kids.

“That made me a much more patient person and truly helped me become a much better coach of just dealing with the insanity of kids and what they bring. That has truly helped me kinda deal with a lot of stuff — refs, players and what comes with it.”

https://www.deseret.com/sports/2024/...ia-tony-ingle/

He seems fiery, and a bit of a "red ass." That's a good thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by byufan4ever View Post
                              What did ya'll think of Kevin Young on his press conference / introduction on BYUTV? His personality is almost polar opposite of Mark Pope. Whereas Pope is very rah rah very super enthusiastic (almost fake enthusiasm I would say), Young is very low key. He seemed kinda monotone when he was talking. Maybe he was nervous? Or maybe he's just super chill. I was hoping for a little more enthusiasm, as that can be contagious. But, I'm 100% behind him. LET'S GOOOO!
                              He doesn't impress as a speaker, but he has a sincerity to him that appealed to me. Pope had a very polished presence and could command a room but I sometimes cringed when I'd watch his show.. I liked hearing that Young had already been in contact with the team (apparently including Chandler?) and I especially liked hearing that he wants to build a culture of BYU to the NBA. I guess I'm saying that even though he doesn't sound like all the others, he seems to be bringing something that none of them could. The thought of Durant or Booker working out with the team is kind of mind blowing. This guy brings a cool factor that BYU has never had.

Comment

He doesn't impress as a speaker, but he has a sincerity to him that appealed to me. Pope had a very polished presence and could command a room but I sometimes cringed when I'd watch his show.. I liked hearing that Young had already been in contact with the team (apparently including Chandler?) and I especially liked hearing that he wants to build a culture of BYU to the NBA. I guess I'm saying that even though he doesn't sound like all the others, he seems to be bringing something that none of them could. The thought of Durant or Booker working out with the team is kind of mind blowing. This guy brings a cool factor that BYU has never had.
                                Agreed on the NBA connections; this is something new that will pay a lot of dividends. Also as long as they aren't a raving lunatic, I think coach personality is overrated, especially public facing persona. There is also something to be said for quiet confidence over rah-rah enthusiasm, but I grew up with Lavell Edwards and Tom Osborne so I'm biased. I liked Pope's enthusiasm but I think Young will be amazing. I'm very excited.

Comment

Working...
                                X