No announcement yet.

BYU Basketball 2023-2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I hadn’t heard of Kevin Young until today. Does he have BYU ties at all?
    "What are you prepared to do?" - Jimmy Malone

"What choice?" - Abe Petrovsky

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Public View Post
      I hadn’t heard of Kevin Young until today. Does he have BYU ties at all?
      Not sure. Suns fans are apparently distraught, since he was reportedly in line for an NBA head coaching position, and when Monte Williams was fired last year he was also reportedly Devin Booker and Kevin Durant's choice to succeed him. I'm worried about his recruiting ability, but he has all the street cred he needs.
      "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post
        7 years 30 million for Young. Who is this new BYU?
        The one that is a member of the Big 12 and gets enough money now to be able to do this without going into debt.

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post

I'm worried about his recruiting ability, but he has all the street cred he needs.
          This is his brother:

https://twitter.com/JustinDYoung

He runs this HS hoops talent evaluation service:

https://hoopseen.com/

That is a nice connection. And with his NBA cred and profile, I think we will be just fine recruiting. We should find out pretty quickly, though.

What a difference a few hours makes. From to all in one day.
          "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
          "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
          "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Not sure. Suns fans are apparently distraught, since he was reportedly in line for an NBA head coaching position, and when Monte Williams was fired last year he was also reportedly Devin Booker and Kevin Durant's choice to succeed him. I'm worried about his recruiting ability, but he has all the street cred he needs.
            My concerns about who would succeed Pope have been delightfully assuaged.
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

My concerns about who would succeed Pope have been delightfully assuaged.
              Haha. You confidently predicted that the next hire would be a downgrade.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                Ha, so true. I've been in a funk since UK hired Pope away. Didn't help to have the transfer portal guys and then Chandler. mrs. myboynoah kept saying, "hey, this could work out for the best." And, I think she might be right.

Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Danny Ainge and Ryan Smith made this happen.
                  Dang cool that this is getting such national attention. UK hiring Pope teed it up, and then this hire kills it. Big props to Holmoe, Ainge, and Smith.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

This is his brother:

https://twitter.com/JustinDYoung

He runs this HS hoops talent evaluation service:

https://hoopseen.com/

That is a nice connection. And with his NBA cred and profile, I think we will be just fine recruiting. We should find out pretty quickly, though.

KY's brother running a major website assessing HS B-Ball talent is a major plus. Hilarious how the pendulum has swung today. I should know better to wait things out a bit.

Comment

His wife went to BYU. Not aware of any other direct ties.

Comment

• Word on the street is that Brigham Young's great, great, great grandson, Kevin Young was all set to be the hire back when BYU ended up hiring Pope, but the admins were worried about the confusion of the student section saying "Whoosh Kevin" after every made BYU FT, so they had to wait until Worthen stepped down as president.
                        Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• This is as much of a homerun hire as I've ever seen at BYU, both in terms of the best fit possible and in the speed of doing it. Maybe he keeps Hall here.

Comment

Haha. You confidently predicted that the next hire would be a downgrade.
                            Sometimes it's nice to be wrong.
                            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post

Sometimes it's nice to be wrong.
                              So true

Comment

• This seems like a home run hire. The guy was a finalist for multiple NBA head coaching gigs and is now coaching BYU. Crazy.

Comment

Working...
                                X