BYU Basketball 2023-2024

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by SteelBlue View Post
    I remember kind of laughing when he did it to UVU. Not so funny now but it is how things work. I get embarrassed sometimes when I realize I actually believed a coach might worry about going scorched earth on his way out.
    Ha.

While very disappointing, this shouldn't be a big surprise. Chandler was never a BYU guy. Pope lured him away from uofutah. He was more a Pope guy than anything. And likely approached Pope about following him to UK.

Why could we not have had at least an amazing post-season run by Pope before he left? We get all the pain but none of the elation. At least USU got an NCAA win.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post

Ha.

While very disappointing, this shouldn't be a big surprise. Chandler was never a BYU guy. Pope lured him away from uofutah. He was more a Pope guy than anything. And likely approached Pope about following him to UK.

Why could we not have had at least an amazing post-season run by Pope before he left? We get all the pain but none of the elation. At least USU got an NCAA win.
      The reality is Pope was never a BYU guy either. If that were the only knock against him, fine but even more egregious is the lack of conference championships and NCAA tournament wins. Maybe with access to better talent at Kentucky it will be different. Maybe.

Comment

• Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post

If they can get Kevin Young, that would be incredible. Hire an associate head coach with good recruiting skills and then expand the recruiting department.

Could be awesome
        if hes interviewing for nba jobs too, I dont see it

Comment

• I always knew that Pope wasn't a BYU guy and would move if the opportunity would present itself. I was fine with that when he was hired. I thought it would bode well for BYU if top programs were interested.

What I didn't anticipate was that a blueblood would take such an unaccomplished coach.

I also didn't foresee the changing college basketball landscape where everything is fluid and there is no continuity. BYU has to start from scratch now as any coach we bring in is unlikely to bring a bunch of players with them, but it looks like Pope might take some from us.

Comment

• Buckle up. Big news coming.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Buckle up. Big news coming.
              Oh no, is Pope leaving?
              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post

Oh no, is Pope leaving?
                My guess is a new NIL collective.

Comment

• New HC announcement?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                    New HC announcement?
                    Yes.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

• Woj dropped the bomb. Kevin Young it is!!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                        I always knew that Pope wasn't a BYU guy and would move if the opportunity would present itself. I was fine with that when he was hired. I thought it would bode well for BYU if top programs were interested.

What I didn't anticipate was that a blueblood would take such an unaccomplished coach.

I also didn't foresee the changing college basketball landscape where everything is fluid and there is no continuity. BYU has to start from scratch now as any coach we bring in is unlikely to bring a bunch of players with them, but it looks like Pope might take some from us.
                        I hope he loses every game at Kentucky and is out of coaching in 2 years.

Comment

• 7 years 30 million for Young. Who is this new BYU?

Comment

Woj dropped the bomb. Kevin Young it is!!!!
                            And there it is...

Comment

Woj dropped the bomb. Kevin Young it is!!!!
                              A short ESPN report---this is potentially a big upgrade for BYU. People may go from stoning the Popes as they pack up and leave to having their EQ go over and help them move things along.

Comment

• This is huge. He was the highest paid assistant in the NBA. Just missed out on a HC job in Brooklyn.

Comment

Working...
                                X