When Goatnapper discusses this BYU as...

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • John McClain
    Comfortably Numb
    • Dec 2009
    • 1012

    #31
    Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
    Huh huh... Jimmer.
    Heck, I don't care if he was named Aloysius or Horatio, if he can get us past the first round in the tourney, I will call him Divine.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    Albert Einstein

    Comment

    • Lost Student
      BAND!
      • Nov 2008
      • 4324

      #32
      Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Rose is a good dude and wouldn't be a worthy candidate for mockery in any case, but his recent health battle makes him pretty much bulletproof.

      Bronco, stung by the cruel barbs of Ute nation, has noticed this. Expect to see him utilizing a neck brace and riding onto the field driving a Rascal 710 (not the 6 volt!) this fall to render all but the most callous Ute fans silent.
      What are your opinions as to the advantages of the 710 model over Rascal's off-road capable 655? With 12" tires all around and a top speed of 8, I think it bests the 710 (9" fronts and top speed of 5).
      "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
      "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
      This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
      "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
      "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

      Comment

      • Mr. Crimson
        Owned by Cougjunkie
        • Jun 2009
        • 591

        #33
        Originally posted by John McClain View Post
        Heck, I don't care if he was named Aloysius or Horatio, if he can get us past the first round in the tourney, I will call him Divine.
        At least you're admitting it would take an act of God to get BYU past the first round

        Seriously though before jay santos et al lash out at me, BYU will have the right record and seed to win a first round game. If you don't there should be much taunting.

        Comment

        • DU Ute
          RIP CUF
          • Dec 2008
          • 7393

          #34
          Originally posted by Mr. Crimson View Post
          At least you're admitting it would take an act of God to get BYU past the first round

          Seriously though before jay santos et al lash out at me, BYU will have the right record and seed to win a first round game. If you don't there should be much taunting.
          "In conclusion, let me give a shout-out to dirty sex. What a great thing it is" - Northwestcoug
          "And you people wonder why you've had extermination orders issued against you." - landpoke
          "Can't . . . let . . . foolish statements . . . by . . . BYU fans . . . go . . . unanswered . . . ." - LA Ute

          Comment

          • cougjunkie
            *Banned*
            • Nov 2008
            • 23223

            #35
            Originally posted by DU Ute View Post
            Like a 5 seed getting bounced last year by a 12 seed that did not belong in the tournament?
            *Banned*

            Comment

            • Mr. Crimson
              Owned by Cougjunkie
              • Jun 2009
              • 591

              #36
              Originally posted by cougjunkie View Post
              Like a 5 seed getting bounced last year by a 12 seed that did not belong in the tournament?
              Like I said you should look forward to Dave Rose doing something more than Jim Boylen has done.

              Comment

              • Fiyero
                Banned
                • Nov 2008
                • 5266

                #37
                Originally posted by Blueintheface View Post
                This is the part where you talk about the 2008 Sugar Bowl.
                That was a nice experience wasn't it? The 2004 Fiesta Bowl had gotten old.

                Comment

                • smokymountainrain
                  Impressive Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22593

                  #38
                  Originally posted by Mr. Crimson View Post
                  Like I said you should look forward to Dave Rose doing something more than Jim Boylen has done.
                  With Giacoletti's recruits, right? Now that most of Boylen's recruits are playing the key roles, they are struggling, at .500?

                  correct me if I'm wrong - I don't follow the utes closely.
                  I'm like LeBron James.
                  -mpfunk

                  Comment

                  • Mr. Crimson
                    Owned by Cougjunkie
                    • Jun 2009
                    • 591

                    #39
                    Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                    With Giacoletti's recruits, right? Now that most of Boylen's recruits are playing the key roles, they are struggling, at .500?

                    correct me if I'm wrong - I don't follow the utes closely.
                    Go ahead and quote this so if it need be thrown in my face, it can be.

                    But Boylen took a Giac team that won 11 games and 2 years later won a conference title.

                    This year they are stunningly young, now should there not be great improvement next year and something like a title the year after, then open up on me double barrel. I won't even notice as I'll be shooting myself.

                    Comment

                    • Indy Coug
                      Heartless Bastard
                      • Dec 2008
                      • 18747

                      #40
                      Originally posted by Mr. Crimson View Post
                      This year they are stunningly young, now should there not be great improvement next year and something like a title the year after, then open up on me double barrel. I won't even notice as I'll be shooting myself.
                      Utah is 259th most experienced team out of 347. BYU is 210th. So BYU is somewhat less stunningly young.

                      Everything in life is an approximation.

                      http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                      Comment

                      • TheBYUGuy
                        Friend of Rodin
                        • Sep 2009
                        • 1442

                        #41
                        Originally posted by Mr. Crimson View Post
                        Like I said you should look forward to Dave Rose doing something more than Jim Boylen has done.
                        Originally posted by Mr. Crimson View Post
                        But Boylen took a Giac team that won 11 games and 2 years later won a conference title.
                        Somewhere you must have missed the fact that Dave Rose took a team that won 9 games, then 2 years later started a string of 3 (and counting) conference titles. Would that count as something more than what Boylen has done?

                        Comment

                        • Mr. Crimson
                          Owned by Cougjunkie
                          • Jun 2009
                          • 591

                          #42
                          Originally posted by TheBYUGuy View Post
                          Somewhere you must have missed the fact that Dave Rose took a team that won 9 games, then 2 years later started a string of 3 (and counting) conference titles. Would that count as something more than what Boylen has done?
                          Well no because a lot of things go into when a coach starts winning and what hurdles they face at the outset and Rose's were not higher than the ones set by Giac.

                          However if you want to get technical, Boylen was able to his first title in his 2nd season and it took Rose another season. So under your logic, Point Boylen.

                          Now Jimmy clearly won't win one this year but if he comes back next year and gets once and then the year after he'll be still the same right. Now take David Foster with his defensive presence, raise his offensive game and surround him with a bit more talent and that certainly isn't out of the question.

                          Even more despite all those titles Rose has failed to win either a conference tournament title (point Boylen) or a NCAA game (tie although Roses ofer three looks not good).

                          So I've tried to be polite here, but just stop poking.

                          Comment

                          • Indy Coug
                            Heartless Bastard
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 18747

                            #43
                            Originally posted by Mr. Crimson View Post
                            Well no because a lot of things go into when a coach starts winning and what hurdles they face at the outset and Rose's were not higher than the ones set by Giac.

                            However if you want to get technical, Boylen was able to his first title in his 2nd season and it took Rose another season. So under your logic, Point Boylen.

                            Now Jimmy clearly won't win one this year but if he comes back next year and gets once and then the year after he'll be still the same right. Now take David Foster with his defensive presence, raise his offensive game and surround him with a bit more talent and that certainly isn't out of the question.

                            Even more despite all those titles Rose has failed to win either a conference tournament title (point Boylen) or a NCAA game (tie although Roses ofer three looks not good).

                            So I've tried to be polite here, but just stop poking.
                            I'm glad the comparison is as superficial as possible, rather than evaluate 100+ games worth of data as a whole.
                            Everything in life is an approximation.

                            http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                            Comment

                            • Mr. Crimson
                              Owned by Cougjunkie
                              • Jun 2009
                              • 591

                              #44
                              Originally posted by Indy Coug View Post
                              I'm glad the comparison is as superficial as possible, rather than evaluate 100+ games worth of data as a whole.
                              Well shouldn't they both have about the same amount of data to evaluate? I mean we won't have a true answer till year 5. I mean you could try to argue that Dave Rose was better than Rick Majerus because Rose won a title in his 5th year and Majerus was 14 and 14, but you'd be really really wrong.

                              In two years at Utah, Boylen has a regular season and tournament championship and a trip to the NCAA's. Rose hasn't done anything beyond that. Boylen has faced a far greater challenge to get there.

                              And the odd thing about this argument is, I truly believe Rose is the best coach in the conference and I don't think its up for debate. Its just part of the on going phenomenon with many BYU fans that if I suggest Jim Boylen is pretty good, folks are going to lash out at me. Which I don't get.

                              Comment

                              • Goatnapper'96
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 10924

                                #45
                                Originally posted by Mr. Crimson View Post
                                Well no because a lot of things go into when a coach starts winning and what hurdles they face at the outset and Rose's were not higher than the ones set by Giac.

                                However if you want to get technical, Boylen was able to his first title in his 2nd season and it took Rose another season. So under your logic, Point Boylen.

                                Now Jimmy clearly won't win one this year but if he comes back next year and gets once and then the year after he'll be still the same right. Now take David Foster with his defensive presence, raise his offensive game and surround him with a bit more talent and that certainly isn't out of the question.

                                Even more despite all those titles Rose has failed to win either a conference tournament title (point Boylen) or a NCAA game (tie although Roses ofer three looks not good).

                                So I've tried to be polite here, but just stop poking.
                                Rose won a conference title in his second year as well.

                                I agree with you that Boylen's inability to get Utah into many NCAA tourneys is definitely a point for him over Rose's first round losses! Got us on that won, big fella!
                                Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
                                -General George S. Patton

                                I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
                                -DOCTOR Wuap

                                Comment

                                Working...