BYU vs UTEP

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Surfah
    Where's Wallace?
    • Nov 2008
    • 33726

    #1

    BYU vs UTEP

    Lots of whistles early. UTEP's defense looks pretty good.
    "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic
  • pelagius
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 5288

    #2
    Originally posted by Surfah View Post
    Lots of whistles early. UTEP's defense looks pretty good.
    Pretty impressive win without Jimmer.

    Comment

    • Surfah
      Where's Wallace?
      • Nov 2008
      • 33726

      #3
      I'm all in. This team is the best BYU has had in as long as I can remember. That win was big. UTEP is a legit team. That was a tough crowd. That was home court officiating in the 2nd half. They were without their star. And they prevailed. A few mental breakdowns here and there but overall a solid outing. The only thing I can harp on is the TOs. We cut those down and try to keep the refs sucking on those whistles instead of blowing them we win handily. Davies and Haws were great. Tavernari stepped up again. Lloyd was fine handling the ball. I am buckling in because this is going to be a fun ride.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

      Comment

      • I.J. Reilly
        Nobody's Fool
        • Apr 2009
        • 2949

        #4
        I liked the win. The bench is looking good and coming through when it counts. My only wish is that they would be stronger down low and work inside out more often.

        Comment

        • Katy Lied
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 9435

          #5
          What a great day! A bunch of non-stars cobble together an improbable victory against UTEP. And on BYU TV, with no time left, Jim McMahon has just thrown a TD to Clay Brown in the end zone.

          Comment

          • Goatnapper'96
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 10924

            #6
            Originally posted by Surfah View Post
            Lots of whistles early. UTEP's defense looks pretty good.
            This is the best BYU team since Smith and Chatman. I think it might be the best team since Smith and Chatman without Fredette. With Fredette??? I am now a believer.
            Do Your Damnedest In An Ostentatious Manner All The Time!
            -General George S. Patton

            I'm choosing to mostly ignore your fatuity here and instead overwhelm you with so much data that you'll maybe, just maybe, realize that you have reams to read on this subject before you can contribute meaningfully to any conversation on this topic.
            -DOCTOR Wuap

            Comment

            • John McClain
              Comfortably Numb
              • Dec 2009
              • 1012

              #7
              The team has been nails the past two games. If they keep the game close, they will out tough the other team. There's no giving up with these guys.
              Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
              Albert Einstein

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69751

                #8
                Wow. I love this team. That was fun to watch. Some smarter play in the last two minutes would have been nice, but that is nitpicking.

                Somebody needs to tell Haws, Emery, Miles, Davies that Utah County kids aren't supposed to amount to much.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • John McClain
                  Comfortably Numb
                  • Dec 2009
                  • 1012

                  #9
                  With about 5:20 to go we were up by 4 points, all our bigs were in foul trouble, and the refs decided that the only whistles would go against the Y, and yet the guys kept their composure, played tough and didn't become head cases. Man, I like that in a team. I have seen too much choking over the years.
                  Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment

                  • SeattleUte
                    Faith crisis consultant
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 20837

                    #10
                    Originally posted by John McClain View Post
                    With about 5:20 to go we were up by 4 points, all our bigs were in foul trouble, and the refs decided that the only whistles would go against the Y, and yet the guys kept their composure, played tough and didn't become head cases. Man, I like that in a team. I have seen too much choking over the years.


                    BYU has bigs? Who are the bigs?
                    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

                    --Jonathan Swift

                    Comment

                    • John McClain
                      Comfortably Numb
                      • Dec 2009
                      • 1012

                      #11
                      Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post


                      BYU has bigs? Who are the bigs?
                      Utah's centers will find out on January 30th.
                      Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
                      Albert Einstein

                      Comment

                      • Flystripper
                        Degenerate Gambler
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 14105

                        #12
                        JT played a great game. He took good shots and played in control again. If he plays like this or similar the rest of the way BYU is very very difficult to beat.

                        Hats off to our two freshman. They played like upperclassmen tonight.
                        Dyslexics are teople poo...

                        Comment

                        • soccerMAN
                          Banned
                          • Dec 2009
                          • 36

                          #13
                          Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post


                          BYU has bigs? Who are the bigs?
                          I like totally know man. I just wish so hard that BYU could trade places with Utah right now.

                          Comment

                          • DrumNFeather
                            Invisible Swordsman
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 8854

                            #14
                            Dave Rose has built quite a program there in Provo and with UNM losing at home, the Cougs are the clear cut favorite to win the MWC outright. If they don't, I would think it would be a huge letdown.

                            Rose has done a great job of never having to "rebuild." I think a lot of people figured that once Cummard and Plaisted and others were gone, there would be a season or two of struggles, but that just hasn't been the case. You guys might just have the best coach in the MWC.
                            "They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.

                            Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.

                            Comment

                            • CardiacCoug
                              вот так штука
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 11013

                              #15
                              That was a nice win. Definitely a little home-cooking on some of those fouls called against BYU and they held on for the win anyway. Haws and Davies are great -- it would really be great if Haws would hold off on the mission at least one more year so that everyone (except JT and Miles) would be back next year.

                              The win over UNLV is looking even more important, too. If UNLV had been able to start with road wins over both BYU and UNM they would have a huge head start in the conference race.

                              Nice to see Wyoming make that comeback against SDSU, too.

                              Comment

                              Working...