I AM SO PISSED.

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Babs
    Not a Lawyer
    • Nov 2008
    • 17128

    #76
    Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
    We need to get a more current BYU icon/smilie.

    Comment

    • falafel
      loves to talk on things
      • Mar 2009
      • 38003

      #77
      Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
      Because people have gotten lazy with its usage. It is not vestigial, and wishing that it were so won't make it disappear anytime soon.
      Sorry wuap, you are too involved to offer an unbiased opinion. Usage is king! Ask any non-spanish speaking missionary/librarian what "mood" is expressed by using the subjunctive in English and you'll get 50 of these:

      Even if it is there, no one's using it, so what's the point? We've moved on.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

      Dig your own grave, and save!

      "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

      "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

      Comment

      • falafel
        loves to talk on things
        • Mar 2009
        • 38003

        #78
        Comment period has ended, lady!
        Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

        Dig your own grave, and save!

        "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

        "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

        Comment

        • Babs
          Not a Lawyer
          • Nov 2008
          • 17128

          #79
          Originally posted by falafel View Post
          Comment period has ended, lady!
          I was complying with a direct request from the admin, thank you very much. Why don't you just go back to misusing the subjunctive at that happenin' little Craigslist party of yours?

          Comment

          • TripletDaddy
            sweet triple
            • Nov 2008
            • 58186

            #80
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            We need to get a more current BYU icon/smilie.
            let's ask Sizzle to work his magic. Have him donate his time and efforts to build up CUF (paraphrasing to avoid hellfire and damnation). Can he create some good ones using the logos of our CUF teams...byu, utah, texas, OU, SC, oregon, jazz, lakers, dodgers, giants, etc? I have no idea how much work that would be, btw, so sizzle I could be talking out of my ear on this one. sorry.

            I would prefer a stretch oval Y, personally.

            Like I said, I didn't do a thorough search for really good ones, but I knew we were going to want to use the sports-themed ones.

            sorry.
            Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

            sigpic

            Comment

            • falafel
              loves to talk on things
              • Mar 2009
              • 38003

              #81
              Originally posted by Babs View Post
              I was complying with a direct request from the admin, thank you very much. Why don't you just go back to misusing the subjunctive at that happenin' little Craigslist party of yours?
              If was to discuss the subjunctive at my parties, no one would show up.
              Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

              Dig your own grave, and save!

              "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

              "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69752

                #82
                Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                let's ask Sizzle to work his magic. Have him donate his time and efforts to build up CUF (paraphrasing to avoid hellfire and damnation). Can he create some good ones using the logos of our CUF teams...byu, utah, texas, OU, SC, oregon, jazz, lakers, dodgers, giants, etc? I have no idea how much work that would be, btw, so sizzle I could be talking out of my ear on this one. sorry.

                I would prefer a stretch oval Y, personally.

                Like I said, I didn't do a thorough search for really good ones, but I knew we were going to want to use the sports-themed ones.

                sorry.
                Buck up, man. You did a great job. I am just asking for a minor tweak. It is like doing a little touch-up on the Mona Lisa.

                :fighton1:
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Babs
                  Not a Lawyer
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 17128

                  #83
                  Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
                  let's ask Sizzle to work his magic. Have him donate his time and efforts to build up CUF (paraphrasing to avoid hellfire and damnation). Can he create some good ones using the logos of our CUF teams...byu, utah, texas, OU, SC, oregon, jazz, lakers, dodgers, giants, etc? I have no idea how much work that would be, btw, so sizzle I could be talking out of my ear on this one. sorry.
                  Do we really need all the logos, though? I mean we non-cougar-ute fans can just drop them in from our other boards. Personally, I get really annoyed having that Dayton Flyers logo cluttering up the smiley collection.

                  Plus I just don't like making it so easy for others to desecrate the Schooner.

                  ps. Totally unrelated, but could we get an emoticon for fishing for compliments?

                  Comment

                  • Jeff Lebowski
                    Corporate lackey for Jesus
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 69752

                    #84
                    Swapped.

                    (I am assuming that is what you wanted me to do)
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                    Comment

                    • Babs
                      Not a Lawyer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 17128

                      #85
                      Originally posted by falafel View Post
                      If was to discuss the subjunctive at my parties, no one would show up.
                      Good grief. Don't tell me subjects are vestigal, too?

                      Comment

                      • Jeff Lebowski
                        Corporate lackey for Jesus
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 69752

                        #86
                        Originally posted by Babs View Post
                        Do we really need all the logos, though? I mean we non-cougar-ute fans can just drop them in from our other boards. Personally, I get really annoyed having that Dayton Flyers logo cluttering up the smiley collection.

                        Plus I just don't like making it so easy for others to desecrate the Schooner.
                        I like them.
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                        Comment

                        • wuapinmon
                          Soul Plumber
                          • Dec 2008
                          • 30711

                          #87
                          Originally posted by falafel View Post
                          Sorry wuap, you are too involved to offer an unbiased opinion. Usage is king! Ask any non-spanish speaking missionary/librarian what "mood" is expressed by using the subjunctive in English and you'll get 50 of these:

                          Even if it is there, no one's using it, so what's the point? We've moved on.
                          Do you say "If I was you?"

                          I recommend that he takes Spanish 101
                          I recommend that he take Spanish 101

                          Which one?
                          "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                          The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                          Comment

                          • Babs
                            Not a Lawyer
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 17128

                            #88
                            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            I like them.
                            they're fun.
                            Have we gotten rid of the flasher yet? I hate to complain, but you know...

                            Comment

                            • Babs
                              Not a Lawyer
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 17128

                              #89
                              Originally posted by falafel View Post
                              If was to discuss the subjunctive at my parties, no one would show up.
                              I would.

                              Comment

                              • falafel
                                loves to talk on things
                                • Mar 2009
                                • 38003

                                #90
                                Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
                                Do you say "If I was you?"

                                I recommend that he takes Spanish 101
                                I recommend that he take Spanish 101

                                Which one?
                                If I'm in Heber I do.

                                But that's not the point I'm making. I'm not saying that we don't use the words as the "mood" requires. I'm saying the the words don't express the "mood" they once did. People don't even the mood used to express anything. Its just grammar now.
                                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

                                Dig your own grave, and save!

                                "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

                                "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                                Comment

                                Working...