Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RESULTS: Individuals with age <65 account for 5%-9% of all COVID-19 deaths in the 8 European epicenters, and approach 30% in three US hotbed locations. People <65 years old had 34- to 73-fold lower risk than those ≥65 years old in the European countries and 13- to 15-fold lower risk in New York City, Louisiana and Michigan. The absolute risk of COVID-19 death ranged from 1.7 per million for people <65 years old in Germany to 79 per million in New York City. The absolute risk of COVID-19 death for people ≥80 years old ranged from approximately 1 in 6,000 in Germany to 1 in 420 in Spain. The COVID-19 death risk in people <65 years old during the period of fatalities from the epidemic was equivalent to the death risk from driving between 9 miles per day (Germany) and 415 miles per day (New York City). People <65 years old and not having any underlying predisposing conditions accounted for only 0.3%, 0.7%, and 1.8% of all COVID-19 deaths in Netherlands, Italy, and New York City. CONCLUSIONS: People <65 years old have very small risks of COVID-19 death even in the hotbeds of the pandemic and deaths for people <65 years without underlying predisposing conditions are remarkably uncommon. Strategies focusing specifically on protecting high-risk elderly individuals should be considered in managing the pandemic.
    Abstract from the paper I just linked. Check out the credentials of the authors. They're not journalists or class action lawyers.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      I don't listen to or read these people. But they're the same as the CNN, WaPo, CNBC you feast on. But instead I'm supposed to read an article by a class action plaintiffs' lawyer?

I just linked some real science. Why don't you read that.
      CNBC? like closing bell, mad money, fast money or what?
      Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

Abstract from the paper I just linked. Check out the credentials of the authors. They're not journalists or class action lawyers.
        Don't waste your time with this crowd... they don't like science. They get all the science they need from Rachel Maddow, Don Lemon, Chris Cuomo, and the likes.

For example, here is an article about Chloroquine:

Chloroquine is a potent inhibitor of SARS coronavirus infection and spread

Background

Severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) is caused by a newly discovered coronavirus (SARS-CoV). No effective prophylactic or post-exposure therapy is currently available.

Results

We report, however, that chloroquine has strong antiviral effects on SARS-CoV infection of primate cells. These inhibitory effects are observed when the cells are treated with the drug either before or after exposure to the virus, suggesting both prophylactic and therapeutic advantage. In addition to the well-known functions of chloroquine such as elevations of endosomal pH, the drug appears to interfere with terminal glycosylation of the cellular receptor, angiotensin-converting enzyme 2. This may negatively influence the virus-receptor binding and abrogate the infection, with further ramifications by the elevation of vesicular pH, resulting in the inhibition of infection and spread of SARS CoV at clinically admissible concentrations.

Conclusion

Chloroquine is effective in preventing the spread of SARS CoV in cell culture. Favorable inhibition of virus spread was observed when the cells were either treated with chloroquine prior to or after SARS CoV infection. In addition, the indirect immunofluorescence assay described herein represents a simple and rapid method for screening SARS-CoV antiviral compounds.
        https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/

But given that Drumpf said that it might have some potential being used in the fight against Covid-19 they went all ape sh*t crazy against the idea of using. And they blame Drumpf for causing a couple of dumbass democrats to ingest fish tank cleaner. So just let them eat their fish tank cleaner in peace.
        Last edited by Uncle Ted; 04-08-2020, 02:46 PM.
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Flystripper View Post
          CNBC? like closing bell, mad money, fast money or what?
          Meant to say MSNBC.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Meant to say MSNBC.
            ahh gotcha
            Dyslexics are teople poo...

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              Don't waste your time with this crowd... they don't like science. They get all the science they need from Rachel Maddow, Don Lemon, Chris Cuomo, and the likes.

For example, here is an article about Chloroquine:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1232869/

But given that Drumpf said that it might have some potential being used in the fight against Covid-19 they went all ape sh*t crazy against the idea of using. And they blame Drumpf for causing a couple of dumbass democrats to ingest fish tank cleaner. So just let them eat their fish tank cleaner in peace.
              By the way, garlic has been shown to have potent antiviral properties*. We should totally use it against COVID-19.

*in similar cell culture studies. Get back to me when you have good patient data.
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

CONCLUSIONS: People <65 years old have very small risks of COVID-19 death even in the hotbeds of the pandemic and deaths for people <65 years without underlying predisposing conditions are remarkably uncommon. Strategies focusing specifically on protecting high-risk elderly individuals should be considered in managing the pandemic.
                Okay, we knew that general trend already.
                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  Okay, we knew that already.
                  I think he's focusing on the last sentence of the conclusion:

Strategies focusing specifically on protecting high-risk elderly individuals should be considered in managing the pandemic.
                  I think.
                  "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                  "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                  - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                    I think he's focusing on the last sentence of the conclusion:

I think.
                    I agree. It's a good idea to protect the most vulnerable during this crisis. Or any crisis for that matter.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I agree. It's a good idea to protect the most vulnerable during this crisis. Or any crisis for that matter.
                      Rocket science, I know.
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

Okay, we knew that general trend already.
                        I thought you were a numbers guy. Look at the numbers. According to this paper, if you’re under 65 your chances of dying from Coronavirus are comparable to dying of a car accident on your way to work.

If you don’t think this is the proper way to look at it we can agree to disagree. But that’s not how we’ve ever approached any public policy problem.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

By the way, garlic has been shown to have potent antiviral properties*. We should totally use it against COVID-19.

*in similar cell culture studies. Get back to me when you have good patient data.
                          This guy beat you to it.

Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I thought you were a numbers guy. Look at the numbers. According to this paper, if you’re under 65 your chances of dying from Coronavirus are comparable to dying of a car accident on your way to work.

If you don’t think this is the proper way to look at it we can agree to disagree. But that’s not how we’ve ever approached any public policy problem.
                            That comparison is irrelevant (I believe that point has been made numerous times). People injured in car accidents on their way to work are not overwhelming or threatening to overwhelm healthcare systems in a number of locations throughout the United States. So yes, I agree to disagree.

We always knew that the most vulnerable (in terms of death) were the aged or those with some health condition. This is not new.

Comment

This actually makes a lot of sense. Garlic has been shown to have antivampiral properties so it should work against the bat virus.

Comment

That comparison is irrelevant (I believe that point has been made numerous times). People injured in car accidents on their way to work are not overwhelming or threatening to overwhelm healthcare systems in a number of locations throughout the United States. So yes, I agree to disagree.

We always knew that the most vulnerable (in terms of death) were the aged or those with some health condition. This is not new.
                                This was a justified fear that is not being borne out in the US. Cuomo says they haven't lost a single person due to lack of care. Everyone that needed a ventilator has received one. Washington is packing up their emergency field hospital the feds set up for them and sending it to another state without it having seen a single patient. Yes we had to flex and increase to meet the demand but we appear to have done so successfully. Cuomo's pause contributed greatly to bending the curve down below the increased capacity in NYC, no doubt.

Comment

Working...
                                X