Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    I've attempted to make some jokes about missionaries being like that French Canadian gay flight steward who spread AIDS all over the world back in the late 70s, but there really was a super spreader up in Park City. Summit County has over 10% the number of cases as Los Angeles County does right now.
    Blaine County (home of Sun Valley) is Idaho's version of Summit County. Blaine has about half of Idaho's cases right now.

Edit: Blaine has less than 2% of Idaho's population.
    Last edited by Lost Student; 03-25-2020, 02:34 PM.
    "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
    "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
    This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
    "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
    "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      I think a lot of folks went to Park City to go skiing for spring break. They need to close down Summit County.
      Originally posted by Lost Student View Post
      Blaine County (home of Sun Valley) is Idaho's version of Summit County. Blaine has about half of Idaho's cases right now.

Europe has the same problem:

https://www.politico.eu/article/the-...the-continent/

Comment

• Well, about time...

Summit County orders residents to stay at home until May 1

Amid ongoing efforts to contain the spread of a novel strain of coronavirus in Utah, Summit County officials ordered their residents to stay at home.

All residents are asked to stay home and cease all non-essential travel until at least May 1. The order goes into effect on Friday at 12:01 a.m., according to a county press release.

The order mandates that visitors to the county "leave as quickly as possible," the release states. Anyone planning a trip to the county is asked not to visit while the order remains in effect. That order includes secondary homeowners who are not county residents.
        [...]
        https://kutv.com/news/coronavirus/su...o-stay-at-home

LOL... Isn't half the homes in summit county secondary homes and pay like double the tax?
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Lost Student View Post

Makes sense. Blaine County residents are most likely in the state to have been traveling internationally.
          "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
          - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Maybe I'm just dumb, but why does the stimulus bill need to increase the amount of unemployment benefits? Both parties seem to be in favor of it, but disagree on the amount. The virus isn't increasing the cost of living, is it? I'm sure many think the level of unemployment benefits before the current crisis was inadequate, and they may or may not be right about that. I don't understand why this is such a crucial piece of the $2 Trillion stimulus bill though.

Comment

• Originally posted by UVACoug View Post
              Maybe I'm just dumb, but why does the stimulus bill need to increase the amount of unemployment benefits? Both parties seem to be in favor of it, but disagree on the amount. The virus isn't increasing the cost of living, is it? I'm sure many think the level of unemployment benefits before the current crisis was inadequate, and they may or may not be right about that. I don't understand why this is such a crucial piece of the $2 Trillion stimulus bill though.
              That's probably the best reason.

That said, by doing so, won't this make employers more willing to lay people off (thinking there is an adequate safety net) rather than keep them on the pay roll until the economy picks up again?
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

I think a lot of folks went to Park City to go skiing for spring break. They need to close down Summit County.

Edit: I have read that 12,000 missionaries are all coming back to Utah from everywhere in the world... But I am sure all of them are virus free.
                Seriously — all that crowding in the restaurants and sharing lift chairs with Asians and Italians and New Yorkers in Deer Valley. I probably had it and don’t know it. Hope so!

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                  That's probably the best reason.

That said, by doing so, won't this make employers more willing to lay people off (thinking there is an adequate safety net) rather than keep them on the pay roll until the economy picks up again?
                  Seems like it would to me. Bernie wants to increase benefits to 100% of pre-termination income, which would only exacerbate that effect. On the other side, apparently there are a handful of Republican Senators that are holding up the bill because the increased unemployment benefits are higher than the minimum wage (which will create an incentive for low wage earners to stay on unemployment rather than look for a job). I get their concern, but this is only a temporary increase as I understand it. Not worth holding up the entire bill over. Why any temporary increase in unemployment benefits is necessary, though, is still beyond me.

Comment

• And now apparently you can get unemployment benefits by quitting your job:

Unemployed workers who wouldn’t typically qualify for state benefits would receive 50% of their state’s average benefits plus $600 a week, said Arindrajit Dube, an economics professor at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.

This category includes self-employed workers (such as those in the gig economy), those seeking part-time work, workers who quit their job or can’t reach their place of work as a result of COVID-19, or don’t have sufficient work history to otherwise qualify for benefits.
                    https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/25/coro...g-workers.html

Comment

• The plush unemployment benefits end after 4 months, right? Who is going to leave an otherwise employed position in a recession, and risk not getting it back after the benefits end?
                      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        The plush unemployment benefits end after 4 months, right? Who is going to leave an otherwise employed position in a recession, and risk not getting it back after the benefits end?
                        Many will do exactly that.

Comment

Take whatever the number of infected they are reporting and multiple it by 10x:

At least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            At least.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                            I think this might be true in areas with confirmed community spread. But I think there are a lot of areas that just don't have it yet. Take St. George for example. There are 5 cases in Washington County and all of them have been traced to travel. If there were community spread with the age of that population, certainly there would be symptomatic carriers and hospitalizations by now.

It's interesting how few cases there are off the Wasatch in Utah. None in Cache County, the Uintah Basin, or Moab. Hopefully all of these missionaries coming home doesn't change that.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                              Many will do exactly that.
                              Like who? What kind of jobs?
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Whoa.

Hospitals consider universal do-not-resuscitate orders for coronavirus patients

Northwestern Memorial Hospital in Chicago has been discussing a do-not-resuscitate policy for infected patients, regardless of the wishes of the patient or their family members — a wrenching decision to prioritize the lives of the many over the one.

. . . . . .

Officials at George Washington University Hospital in the District say they have had similar conversations, but for now will continue to resuscitate covid-19 patients using modified procedures, such as putting plastic sheeting over the patient to create a barrier. The University of Washington Medical Center in Seattle, one of the country’s major hot spots for infections, is dealing with the problem by severely limiting the number of responders to a contagious patient in cardiac or respiratory arrest.

Several large hospital systems — Atrium Health in the Carolinas, Geisinger in Pennsylvania and regional Kaiser Permanente networks — are looking at guidelines that would allow doctors to override the wishes of the coronavirus patient or family members on a case-by-case basis due to the risk to doctors and nurses, or a shortage of protective equipment, say ethicists and doctors involved in those conversations. But they would stop short of imposing a do-not-resuscitate order on every coronavirus patient. The companies declined to comment.
                                Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Working...
                                X