Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Listened to the first ten minutes of Shapiro taking my car to the shop (trying to bolster the economy where I can). He says the UK plan didn't work because young people wouldn't stay away from their parents and grandparents and older people wouldn't quarantine. He says that now Denmark is trying it (but I can't find this on the internet). Everyone over 70 is to stay locked in a room; everyone else carry on. He states the obvious that of course this economic shutdown can't go on for long.

I'm still puzzled why nobody is noting that temperatures in China are in the 70s and the Southern Hemisphere isn't hit hard. Is this turning out to be a rich countries' pandemic? I saw something that said this virus appears to be concentrated in a band between 30-50 degrees north latitude, meaning that like the common cold and flu, it prefers cold weather. Here in Seattle, we're sometimes into the 50s during daylight hours. For now, I'm grateful for climate change.
    When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      Yeah, I would just donate it to BYU.
      BYU is fine! $100B.

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        Listened to the first ten minutes of Shapiro taking my car to the shop (trying to bolster the economy where I can). He says the UK plan didn't work because young people wouldn't stay away from their parents and grandparents and older people wouldn't quarantine. He says that now Denmark is trying it (but I can't find this on the internet). Everyone over 70 is to stay locked in a room; everyone else carry on. He states the obvious that of course this economic shutdown can't go on for long.

I'm still puzzled why nobody is noting that temperatures in China are in the 70s and the Southern Hemisphere isn't hit hard. Is this turning out to be a rich countries' pandemic? I saw something that said this virus appears to be concentrated in a band between 30-50 degrees north latitude, meaning that like the common cold and flu, it prefers cold weather. Here in Seattle, we're sometimes into the 50s during daylight hours. For now, I'm grateful for climate change.
        Well... there are cases in Arizona, but it's about to get to 100+ degrees Fahrenheit daily in the next month or so. I'll tell you then...
        "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
          This immediate delivery of cash to every American is probably a good thing, but I hope people that don't need it will pass it on to those that are the most susceptible.
          I agree. There should be major encouragement to return the money or donate it if you don't need it. I guess saying you don't want it would be a humble brag, so I won't.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

BYU is fine! $100B.

If this goes on for long and the government keeps manufacturing money out of thin air that 100B will be worth about a dollar.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Listened to the first ten minutes of Shapiro taking my car to the shop (trying to bolster the economy where I can). He says the UK plan didn't work because young people wouldn't stay away from their parents and grandparents and older people wouldn't quarantine. He says that now Denmark is trying it (but I can't find this on the internet). Everyone over 70 is to stay locked in a room; everyone else carry on. He states the obvious that of course this economic shutdown can't go on for long.

su what on earth are you doing listening to ben shapiro
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Check out this article. They make a very interesting case that the worst impacts are happening in a specific climate/lattitude range.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....=djemDailyShot

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                  The funny part is that Trump can issue a Muslim ban and overnight we have no entries from Iran, but when he found out about the virus back in January it was to keep it on the hush so his numbers wouldn't take a dive.
                  Yeah, good thing Drumpf ban the Iranians from coming in... that place is getting overrun by the virus.

US-Mexico border could be shut down to contain coronavirus: officials

The US-Mexico border could be shut down to contain the coronavirus outbreak — by Mexico, health officials said.
                  [...]
                  https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/us-mex...rus-officials/

Drumpf may get Mexico to pay for the wall after all.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                    I didn't realize that's who he meant by 'Shapiro.' That guy is a dunce.
                    "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                      Well... there are cases in Arizona, but it's about to get to 100+ degrees Fahrenheit daily in the next month or so. I'll tell you then...
                      It’s growing in the Philippines and it’s hardly ever under 80 degrees ever. It’s about to blow up in India. I’d be surprised if warm weather is a silver bullet.
                      A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                        Yeah, good thing Drumpf ban the Iranians from coming in... that place is getting overrun by the virus.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/14/us-mex...rus-officials/

Drumpf may get Mexico to pay for the wall after all.
                        I made that joke last week.
                        A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                          Wuhan city was shut down completely when there were fewer than 500 reported cases:

https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coron...e-f4d3d9cd99ca

See chart #7.
                          Thanks for the link. Didnt they likely lock it down because while there were only 500 official cases, they had to face the reality that it was already widespread due to government inaction in the previous 2 months? From what I have read it seems China spent 2 months censoring, denying, and minimizing the threat. In that time the population was receiving no guidance on distancing strategies and the virus was being transmitted freely. At the end of January they walled off Wuhan and built new hospitals, but only because they were forced to. Am I misunderstanding the timeline?

In the USA you had the moron trump minimizing because he is an idiot but the CDC, DR Fauci, and state and local health departments have been sounding the alarm for a while, which probably dramatically altered public behavior significantly closer to the first outbreak in the USA compared to China. Again my outlook may be too rosey.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out this article. They make a very interesting case that the worst impacts are happening in a specific climate/lattitude range.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....=djemDailyShot
                            I saw this paper as well... https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=3551767
                            "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                            "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                            "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

This immediate delivery of cash to every American is probably a good thing, but I hope people that don't need it will pass it on to those that are the most susceptible.
                              Mrs. NWC, who is a better person than I, already had plans for our 1000; donate it to the local utility company for those in need.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                                The increasing right-wingification of SU continues to amaze me.
                                "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                                "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                                - SeattleUte

Comment

Working...
                                X