At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • myboynoah
    Senior Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 21719

    #6706
    This is hopeful.

    Four charts that analyze how omicron’s wave compares to previous coronavirus peaks

    But despite surging case numbers, deaths and severe hospitalizations rates have not followed that rise quite as intensely. Health-care workers are cautiously waiting to see if the United States’ omicron wave will follow that of South Africa and London, where the variant passed its peak while causing relatively few deaths and hospitalizations.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

    Comment

    • myboynoah
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 21719

      #6707
      These NYT charts show hospitalizations spiking and some upward movement in deaths. Not as intense, but upward movement still the same.

      This continues to be the story.

      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

      For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

      Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

      Comment

      • Northwestcoug
        Cocked and Loaded
        • May 2011
        • 18014

        #6708
        The big question mark is as always, hospitalizations. Even if Omicron is just a bad cold to the vaccinated (as it seems increasingly likely), even a small uptick in relative hospitalizations of the unvaccinated in the midst of the current case numbers can still wreck havoc. Everyone is exhausted. Health care workers will get infected and will have to quarantine. Hospitals are barely covering the services now. The chances of even a ‘good outcome’ for Omicron to still upend health care for the next couple of weeks are still significant. I’m looking nervously at the rural counties next to us and their low vaccination numbers, and I’m not as optimistic as I was last week.
        "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
        - SeattleUte

        Comment

        • Bo Diddley
          Senior
          • Jul 2012
          • 18786

          #6709
          Just heard if none of your friends have covid, you don't have friends.

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69684

            #6710
            Starting on January 20, BYU to require proof of vax or negative test to attend public events of over 100 people.



            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • BigFatMeanie
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 7113

              #6711
              Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Starting on January 20, BYU to require proof of vax or negative test to attend public events of over 100 people.


              Good. I skipped the past two home basketball games because very few people mask up in the Marriott center. They'll even give you a mask at the door but once everyone gets inside they just take of their masks. COVID city.

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69684

                #6712
                Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post

                Good. I skipped the past two home basketball games because very few people mask up in the Marriott center. They'll even give you a mask at the door but once everyone gets inside they just take of their masks. COVID city.
                Yeah, I might have attended the SMC game had this been in place.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • Bo Diddley
                  Senior
                  • Jul 2012
                  • 18786

                  #6713
                  Yeah, vaxxed or not, it just seems like a good idea to stay away from big gatherings for a while. I'm still optimistic of a positive outcome from this whole omicron thing, but I'm going to try not to tempt fate.

                  And honestly, isn't the science saying that masks are much less effective with omicron? Besides getting boosted, social distancing seems to be the order of the day.

                  Comment

                  • myboynoah
                    Senior Member
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 21719

                    #6714
                    "Personally, I feel very comfortable having taken them. I've had absolutely no reverberation."
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

                    For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

                    Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69684

                      #6715
                      Some evidence that we are at or near the omicron peak.

                      https://www.nytimes.com/2022/01/13/b...northeast.html

                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • beefytee
                        Board eye candy
                        • Mar 2009
                        • 7542

                        #6716
                        Not to be a Debbie downer here, I really hope the peak is soon, but I wonder (at least in Utah) that the numbers are leveling off because testing capacity is being reached. The testing resources seems to have been stretched to their limit this week and I think a lot of people are relying on home tests (that's what I did) or not getting tested at all because either the line and wait times are so long or the result turn around time is too long and won't help much by the time you get it.

                        Comment

                        • Bo Diddley
                          Senior
                          • Jul 2012
                          • 18786

                          #6717
                          Originally posted by beefytee View Post
                          Not to be a Debbie downer here, I really hope the peak is soon, but I wonder (at least in Utah) that the numbers are leveling off because testing capacity is being reached. The testing resources seems to have been stretched to their limit this week and I think a lot of people are relying on home tests (that's what I did) or not getting tested at all because either the line and wait times are so long or the result turn around time is too long and won't help much by the time you get it.
                          I would think the percent positive would go up in that case. I haven't checked the numbers. Are they?

                          Comment

                          • beefytee
                            Board eye candy
                            • Mar 2009
                            • 7542

                            #6718
                            Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post

                            I would think the percent positive would go up in that case. I haven't checked the numbers. Are they?
                            That number continues to go up in Utah and is now at 37% while the number of people tested has plateaued. Case Counts | coronavirus (utah.gov)
                            I don't know about NY. I know that no one is arguing that Utah has reached its peak.

                            I'm just hoping we are over most of this by the end of the month.

                            Comment

                            • Bo Diddley
                              Senior
                              • Jul 2012
                              • 18786

                              #6719
                              Originally posted by beefytee View Post

                              That number continues to go up in Utah and is now at 37% while the number of people tested has plateaued. Case Counts | coronavirus (utah.gov)
                              I don't know about NY. I know that no one is arguing that Utah has reached its peak.

                              I'm just hoping we are over most of this by the end of the month.
                              Wow. Yeah, not at the peak yet.

                              Comment

                              • Pelado
                                Bald not naked
                                • Sep 2010
                                • 21139

                                #6720
                                Our kids' schools send out an email when someone tests positive:

                                We are writing to update you on the most current developments regarding COVID-19.
                                Today, we were informed that an individual(s) within our school community has tested positive for COVID-19. Please keep his/her health and recovery in mind.

                                You can continue to send your child to school but daily monitoring of symptoms is a VERY important part of this process. Contact the school nurse if your child has symptoms or is being tested for COVID.

                                If your child develops any symptoms, stay home, call your medical provider, or get tested. There are multiple free testing sites in the community. Also, Preventative Health is offering West Ada School District students and staff testing. Please use the link COVID-19 Vaccine: West Ada District Office Drive Up COVID-19 RAPID/PCR Tests - (signupgenius.com) to schedule a testing appointment. These tests are limited to West Ada students/staff that meet the following criteria:

                                1. Student/staff without a known exposure, exhibiting symptoms that have improved over 72 hours (3 days) may obtain a test on the fourth day from a testing facility or health care provider.
                                2. Student/staff receive a negative COVID19 test from a testing facility or health care provider on or after 72 hours following last contact with the school based positive case.

                                If your student needs to access classroom instruction remotely, please note the following:
                                · Classroom assignments and resources will be available to students through Microsoft Teams or SeeSaw
                                · Each building will utilize a consistent Microsoft Teams/See Saw structure to support student access at home
                                · Synchronous learning opportunities will be provided for students during direct classroom instruction through Microsoft Teams
                                · Assessments/testing will be taken in the building
                                I've been getting at least a couple of these emails (probably at least one per school) each day this past week.
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

                                Comment

                                Working...