Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• That suck broc. Ultimately, this is why we will struggle to get around this. Too many people think that their life choices have no impact on others.

Similar to people who supported light rail but were not planning to use it. Most people support the quarantine guidelines in principle, but ignore them when it may cause them any level of inconvenience or distress.
    "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

"They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

"I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

-Rick Majerus

Comment

• Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
      Last night right before my sons second soccer game of the season he causally mentioned one of his teammates and his family had been in Florida for the past week or longer and was going to play tonight. They returned home Tuesday.

I am not a doomsday person but tend to be responsible and have not traveled or done anything to keep me and my family safe. Our season was in jeopardy of not happening 2 weeks ago and we had gone to extreme measures to make the season happen.

I was blown away this was being allowed and they did not take caution to have this player at least wait 7 days before rejoining the team. I spoke to the coaches and expressed my concern and that Florida was a 14 day quarantine state just 2 days ago while they were vacationing in Florida. We went back and forth and he gave his reasons which were beyond stupid. That he is following the guidelines and he is allowed to participate per the state guidelines. He said if I had a concern that we could remove our son from the game. So.. I follow the rules and go above and beyond to be safe and cautious and you penalize us and let this dipshit play when they knew well in advance he would not be able to play before he left when the state had a 14-day quarantine in place. But since it was removed on Wednesday, all is good and he can now play after the parents lobbied for it to happen. Seems to me we just put a ton of kids from both teams and families in a unnecessary risk for one..

I am not sure what to think and if I am being overly sensitive when I should just relax.. To me, he should have at least stayed away 7 days when he had no symptoms and then cleared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Your position is correct. But after expressing my concerns to the coach and getting blown off, I would back down. Odds are it will be OK and outdoor soccer is unlikely to be a major spreading event. But yeah, the kids parents are selfish. If you go to Florida for two weeks just accept that you will need to sit out a week when you get back.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
        That suck broc. Ultimately, this is why we will struggle to get around this. Too many people think that their life choices have no impact on others.

Similar to people who supported light rail but were not planning to use it. Most people support the quarantine guidelines in principle, but ignore them when it may cause them any level of inconvenience or distress.
        TRIGGERED
        “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

• The Russians are kicking our *sses when it comes to vaccines... They have another one. And they called the first one "Sputnik" just to rub it into our faces!

Undaunted by 'Sputnik V' Row, Russia Working on Second Covid-19 Vaccine For Approval in October
          Even though there are still concerns about the effect of Sputnik V, Russia's Deputy PM said the country is preparing to approve Vector virology institute's vaccine

Russia's first Coronavirus vaccine, Sputnik V, developed by Moscow's Gamaleya institute has already created a buzz around the world, but mostly out of concerns as many researchers raised questions on its effectiveness due to lack of data. Now, the country is once again preparing to approve another COVID-19 vaccine in late September or early October.

After Russia granted regulatory approval for Sputnik V after less than two months of human trial, on Wednesday, August 26 country's Deputy Prime Minister Tatiana Golikova said Russia is now preparing to approve its second vaccine against the novel Coronavirus caused disease COVID-19. This vaccine is developed by the State Research Center of Virology and Biotechnology VECTOR in Siberia.
          [...]
          https://www.ibtimes.sg/undaunted-by-...-october-50744
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• I love Andrew Sullivan.

But here’s one thing I have absolutely no conflict about. Rioting and lawlessness is evil. And any civil authority that permits, condones or dismisses violence, looting and mayhem in the streets disqualifies itself from any legitimacy. This comes first. If one party supports everything I believe in but doesn’t believe in maintaining law and order all the time and everywhere, I’ll back a party that does. In that sense, I’m a one-issue voter, because without order, there is no room for any other issue. Disorder always and everywhere begets more disorder; the minute the authorities appear to permit such violence, it is destined to grow. And if liberals do not defend order, fascists will.

Here is a quote from Yoom Nguyen, owner of the Lotus Restaurant in Minneapolis, who just witnessed a second assault on his business: “Watching looters bust down our family restaurant is so heartbreaking. Senseless, they’re doing it while laughing and smirking. Not gonna lie, I damn near shot a man tonight. He threw that fucking rock at my family photo and looked right at me. I said ‘you motherfucker …’ tears immediately rolled down my face. I just can’t no more. I’m thankful I walked away but Fuck y’all.” This is how violence metastasizes. And as I’ve watched protests devolve over the summer into a series of riots, arson expeditions, and lawless occupations of city blocks, along with disgusting and often racist profanity, I’ve begun to feel similarly. And when I watched the Democratic Convention and heard close to nothing about ending this lawlessness, I noted the silence.
            https://andrewsullivan.substack.com/...QY2ZCHU-MWz9Kg

I predicted this while Lebowski and Noah cheered on the lockdowns:

The pattern is textbook, if you learn anything from history: an economic crisis resulting in mass unemployment; the pent-up psychological disorders a long period of lockdown can and will unleash; a failure of nerve on the part of liberals to defend the values and institutions of liberal democracy, and of conservatives to keep their own ranks free of raw demagogues and bigots. But critically: a growing sense of disorder and violence and rioting as simply the background noise; and a sense that authorities do not have the strength or the stomach to restore order. What most people want in that kind of nerve-wracking instability is a figure who will come in and stamp it out. In Trump, we have someone who would happily trample any liberal democratic norm to do it. And the left seems to be all but begging him to do it — if only to prove them right.
            Last edited by SeattleUte; 08-28-2020, 04:32 PM.
            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
              Andrew Sullivan is great.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                Your position is correct. But after expressing my concerns to the coach and getting blown off, I would back down. Odds are it will be OK and outdoor soccer is unlikely to be a major spreading event. But yeah, the kids parents are selfish. If you go to Florida for two weeks just accept that you will need to sit out a week when you get back.
                Having a hard time NOT stepping this up when I found out later he pulled all the kids together right before the game including this kid and proceeded to essentially threaten the kids.

He told them that a “parent had express a concern for “Luca” playing after coming back from Florida and if you are not comfortable then you do not have to play and can sit”.

If that is not trying to tell these kids to step into line, I don’t know what is..

And, it really does not matter now!! You have already exposed the entire team to this kid..

Comment

Having a hard time NOT stepping this up when I found out later he pulled all the kids together right before the game including this kid and proceeded to essentially threaten the kids.

He told them that a “parent had express a concern for “Luca” playing after coming back from Florida and if you are not comfortable then you do not have to play and can sit”.

If that is not trying to tell these kids to step into line, I don’t know what is..

And, it really does not matter now!! You have already exposed the entire team to this kid..

Yeah, that's terrible. This isn't on the kids. That message needed to go to the parents before the kid even showed up.

My son's baseball team had a practice on Thursday. Before practice one of the parents sent a message to the team letting us know about an exposure her son had to Covid, that he had tested negative, but that if any parents had reservations about him coming to practice they could let her know and she would keep him home. We were all fine with it and he came to practice. But that is exactly how this type of thing should be handled.

Comment

Last night right before my sons second soccer game of the season he causally mentioned one of his teammates and his family had been in Florida for the past week or longer and was going to play tonight. They returned home Tuesday.

I am not a doomsday person but tend to be responsible and have not traveled or done anything to keep me and my family safe. Our season was in jeopardy of not happening 2 weeks ago and we had gone to extreme measures to make the season happen.

I was blown away this was being allowed and they did not take caution to have this player at least wait 7 days before rejoining the team. I spoke to the coaches and expressed my concern and that Florida was a 14 day quarantine state just 2 days ago while they were vacationing in Florida. We went back and forth and he gave his reasons which were beyond stupid. That he is following the guidelines and he is allowed to participate per the state guidelines. He said if I had a concern that we could remove our son from the game. So.. I follow the rules and go above and beyond to be safe and cautious and you penalize us and let this dipshit play when they knew well in advance he would not be able to play before he left when the state had a 14-day quarantine in place. But since it was removed on Wednesday, all is good and he can now play after the parents lobbied for it to happen. Seems to me we just put a ton of kids from both teams and families in a unnecessary risk for one..

I am not sure what to think and if I am being overly sensitive when I should just relax.. To me, he should have at least stayed away 7 days when he had no symptoms and then cleared.

So your state no longer requires a quarantine after returning from Florida? If the coach is following state guidelines, then it’s now up to you, if you want to use more caution than required, to pull your kid from playing.

Comment

• 24 hrs apart.

Remember... Orange Man Bad!
                      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Originally posted by chrisrenrut View Post
                        So your state no longer requires a quarantine after returning from Florida? If the coach is following state guidelines, then it’s now up to you, if you want to use more caution than required, to pull your kid from playing.
                        Actually, there were not following the guidelines. The state has you follow the CDC out of state travel guidelines. The requirement when it is not quarantine is to wear a mask 14 days when out in public and social distance of 6 feet. It encourages not to leave unless truly necessary and avoid the public.

And screw that. That is BS because I am wanting them to be responsible instead they want to punish my kid and say I should just pull my kid for having an issue with a selfish family who jets down to Orlando so they can do who knows what and in the middle of a mandatory 14-day quarantine and return when it is still in effect and then the very next day after that is removed so now it is OK?!! B-effing-S.

A quarantine requires a 15% positivity rate and Florida went to a 14%. Yeah. Great movement. Ohio sits at 4%.

Last edited by dabrockster; 08-29-2020, 08:40 PM.

Comment

• Brock. Look on the bright side, you have confirmation that your kid is not good at soccer. Give a real sport like baseball another try?
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• From the CDC:

For 6% of the deaths, COVID-19 was the only cause mentioned. For deaths with conditions or causes in addition to COVID-19, on average, there were 2.6 additional conditions or causes per death. The number of deaths with each condition or cause is shown for all deaths and by age groups.
                            https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c...ekly/index.htm
                            When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
                              Great. Cue the conspiratorial masses on FB today.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                                Great. Cue the conspiratorial masses on FB today.
                                I went and looked at the data. That 6% number is grossly misleading and is largely an artifact of how the data are entered in the system. One of the more common things under condition is "respiratory distress" or "respiratory illness", "respiratory failure", etc. Another common one is "other". Or "All other conditions or causes". Another common one is sepsis. But it has been established that COVID can cause sepsis.

https://www.global-sepsis-alliance.o...el-coronavirus

Etc, etc.

But rest assured that 99.9% of the folks on FB won't do any due diligence.
                                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Working...
                                X