Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
    Models have a bad rap around here, and it’s too be we don’t have any model experts able to interpret results. But this one says mask wearing would be the most effective mitigation strategy by far:

https://arxiv.org/pdf/2004.13553.pdf
    I agree that it's the most effective thing we can do. I think this excerpt is correct based on everything I've read
    We recommend immediate mask wearing recommendations, official guidelines for correct use, and awareness campaigns to shift masking mindsets away from pure selfprotection, towards aspirational goals of responsibly protecting one’s community.
    The problem is that people are selfish and won't sacrifice a little comfort for the good of others.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
      The problem is that people are selfish and won't sacrifice a little comfort for the good of others.
      Crazy to me how people think this is such a huge imposition. If you go to Japan during a non-pandemic time you will see maybe 2-5% of the population wearing a mask. If they have any kind of cold or cough, they always wear a mask in public. It is just considered good public etiquette.
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• I'm pretty sure that the folks who insist on not wearing masks are completely missing the point. They take it as a badge of honor/pride, almost, as if to say that they aren't afraid of this virus and don't need to be protected. But the morons are missing that it isn't about protecting themselves - it's about the fact that they could be asymptomatic and walking around without ever feeling sick while getting everyone else ill.

Of course, some are just selfish bastages who don't care if they get other people sick. I'm sure there's some of that as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
          I'm pretty sure that the folks who insist on not wearing masks are completely missing the point. They take it as a badge of honor/pride, almost, as if to say that they aren't afraid of this virus and don't need to be protected. But the morons are missing that it isn't about protecting themselves - it's about the fact that they could be asymptomatic and walking around without ever feeling sick while getting everyone else ill.

Of course, some are just selfish bastages who don't care if they get other people sick. I'm sure there's some of that as well.
          If MJ's Nextdoor and Facebook feeds are any indication, it's because a Democrat made an order that required mask wearing or be subject to a $1,000 fine. Of course, they also say it's not that deadly and masks won't make that much of a difference...but mostly it's a finger to politicians and the control they are trying to impose on us. Not sure why politicians would use mask-wearing to control people...
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Crazy to me how people think this is such a huge imposition. If you go to Japan during a non-pandemic time you will see maybe 2-5% of the population wearing a mask. If they have any kind of cold or cough, they always wear a mask in public. It is just considered good public etiquette.
              This martyrdom context about the masks should be derided by everyone, but it’s not. You have businesses behind these reopen protesters and Trump is more interested in feeding conspiracy theories that blame other people than modeling healthy behavior.

Comment

The replies to that tweet are depressing. I guess if a method only helps slow the spread and doesn't completely stop the spread, then it's not worth the effort.

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post

The replies to that tweet are depressing. I guess if a method only helps slow the spread and doesn't completely stop the spread, then it's not worth the effort.
                  If the point is to slow the spread and keep the economy going, masks are the answer.

Comment

Just show this website to your Drumpf friends... and tell them by wearing these masks it will cause the liberals to get TDS:

https://www.trump2020masks.com/products/maga-mask

Man, I wished I had thought of this! Someone is going to make a killing.

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• The "mom killer" admitted he was wrong on mother's day...

Gov. Cuomo admits he was wrong to order nursing homes to accept coronavirus patients

Gov. Andrew Cuomo has finally admitted — tacitly and partially, anyway — the mistake that was state health chief Howard Zucker’s order that nursing homes must admit coronavirus-positive patients.

On Sunday, Cuomo announced a new regulation: Such patients must now test negative for the virus before hospitals can return them to nursing homes. Yet the gov also admitted that COVID-19 cases might still go to the facilities via other routes, and didn’t explicitly overrule Zucker’s March 25 mandate that homes must accept people despite their testing status — indeed, couldn’t even require a test pre-admission.
                      [...]
                      https://nypost.com/2020/05/10/cuomo-...irus-patients/

What a big dummy.
                      "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
                        If the point is to slow the spread and keep the economy going, masks are the answer.
                        I know, I was just pointing out the dumb conclusion that if it isn't 100% effective, then it's not worth the time/money/inconvenience.

Comment

• so excited for my masks from the state of utah to get here. one more week!
                          I'm like LeBron James.
                          -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                            so excited for my masks from the state of utah to get here. one more week!
                            Hey, how do I get some free masks from the state of Utah?
                            GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                              so excited for my masks from the state of utah to get here. one more week!
                              My wife has decided to make some masks. Ordered stuff on Amazon last night. It should get here by the last week of May, which will be great if we aren't all dead by then.

My county hasn't had a positive test in 19 days now and all but 4 of the positive people they are monitoring have recovered. Time to open this place up a bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by BigPiney View Post
                                My wife has decided to make some masks. Ordered stuff on Amazon last night. It should get here by the last week of May, which will be great if we aren't all dead by then.

My county hasn't had a positive test in 19 days now and all but 4 of the positive people they are monitoring have recovered. Time to open this place up a bit.
                                Should be okay to let gardeners and pool cleaners work as long as no on else is in the hard or the neighbors' yards or the street.
                                When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

Working...
                                X