Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

At what point did you / will you take the coronavirus epidemic seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Nobody listens to Turtle."
    -Turtle
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
      To say categorically that "the media" is not overhyping this is really stupid. They are not varied. We have some in the mainstream media such as the Wall Street Journal complaining that other media including the New York Times are overhyping it. The New York Times and the Washington Post, in news not opinion stories, have used words like "apocalypse" and "perfect killing machine." Lawyers like to try cases. Farmers like to grow potatoes. The media likes bad news. This has always been true.

You are of course brilliant, especially in your narrow field. You also can be quite stupid when outside your lane, I've noted. You also would be at home in a totalitarian regime. Indeed, you are a sort of commissar in a kind of totalitarian regime. People like you, brilliant as you are, should not be making decisions that affect the lives of millions.
      I know this isn't directed at me. But dibs on using this as a signature line!
      "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
      "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
      - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
        This reminds me of when SU was arguing that global warming was a liberal hoax.
        Originally posted by SeattleUte View Post
        To say categorically that "the media" is not overhyping this is really stupid. They are not varied. We have some in the mainstream media such as the Wall Street Journal complaining that other media including the New York Times are overhyping it. The New York Times and the Washington Post, in news not opinion stories, have used words like "apocalypse" and "perfect killing machine." Lawyers like to try cases. Farmers like to grow potatoes. The media likes bad news. This has always been true.

You are of course brilliant, especially in your narrow field. You also can be quite stupid when outside your lane, I've noted. You also would be at home in a totalitarian regime. Indeed, you are a sort of commissar in a kind of totalitarian regime. People like you, brilliant as you are, should not be making decisions that affect the lives of millions.

Comment

• https://twitter.com/benshapiro/statu...558434816?s=21

A good summary.
          When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.

--Jonathan Swift

Comment

The guy whose career depends mostly on highlighting supposed media malfeasance highlights what he thinks is media malfeasance
            "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
            "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
            - SeattleUte

Comment

lol.
              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• One silver lining in this whole thing is that my trip to Idaho in June just got a lot cheaper. What originally cost me 175k miles to fly the entire family up there (with layovers through SFO up and DEN back) will now cost 84k miles and both are direct flights IAH to BOI. Now I just have to hope Idaho isn't shut down come June. But man, what a cheap time to fly.
                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• As an aside, has any one heard from Creekster?

Comment

Got an LOL from that. Thanks.
                    Last edited by Jeff Lebowski; 03-27-2020, 01:03 PM.
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                    "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

This post may have the corona because it's tasteless!

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                        The guy whose career depends mostly on highlighting supposed media malfeasance highlights what he thinks is media malfeasance
                        He did get one out of three correct!
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          He did get one out of three correct!
                          I'll give him that one!
                          - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by USUC View Post
                            Looks like a battle is brewing between the SLC mayor and the SL County Mayor and the state over a lockdown. Not sue it makes sense for the whole state, but does the Mayor or County Mayor alone have the ability alone to shut it down completely?

Salt Lake City mayor says stay-at-home order will be issued for city if statewide order isn't enacted
                            https://www.ksl.com/article/46735228...r-isnt-enacted
                            I grew up with the SLC mayor! She lived in the house behind me. Strange to see her doing things.
                            Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Omaha 680 View Post
                              Cuomo is benefiting from a lot of selective memory. As late as march 18 he said he would not support a shelter in place order for NYC when de blasio was calling for one. The mass transit system in nyc is also state run so de blasio can't shut it down, only cuomo can. He refused to do so and still does.
                              Following up on this: apparently NYCT (subway and bus) instituted reduced service on Wednesday this week; Long Island Rail Road and Metro-North Railroad started their reduced service today. There were a couple videos on social media yesterday and today showing packed subway platforms. Reduced service in my opinion is irresponsible. You either shut it down, or you run full service to allow those who have to take the trains to spread out as much as possible.

I think when this is all over, mass transit will be shown as one of the main drivers of the most rapid outbreaks in the US.

Comment

Both human-made climate change and Covid-19 are real, of course. But in each case the hysteria in response exacerbates the harm to societies and in each case the most economically vulnerable suffer the most. The same folks who have reacted in self-destructive ways to climate change have so reacted to Covid-19, and following this herd mentality becomes synonymous with science. We owe all to science, but to turn governance and policy-making over to a group of like-minded scientists is folly, we’ve seen. Science is a tool that by definition resides at the limit of human knowledge. But society’s more comprehensive knowledge-base needs to be applied—including economics. The problem here is that the hysteria has been able fully to express itself with self-destructive action. And the media is having too much fun and, I bet, never made so much money.

Clearly some of the trillions directed to climate change should have been spent on pandemic preparedness.
                                I'm on SeattleUte's side of this fence (if it's really a fence at all).
                                Absent real data on who/where/when the virus infections are, asking the American people to trust that massive, authoritarian lockdowns are the right course of action isn't much different from asking them to believe that Jesus walked on water or that Muhammad ascended to heaven.

Obviously, social distancing is a good idea for preventing the spread of the virus, but our leaders' eagerness and enthusiasm to deploy authoritarian solutions concerns me.

The SLC Mayor recently indicated that she was "eager to issue a stay at home order".

Eager?

Maybe she should say something like, "I am reluctant to take what I see as a necessary step" ???

https://twitter.com/slcmayor/status/1243283477895639041
                                "More crazy people to Provo go than to any other town in the state."
                                -- Iron County Record. 23 August, 1912. (http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/lc...23/ed-1/seq-4/)

Comment

Working...
                                X