Underage Drinking

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • RockyBalboa
    Banned
    • Nov 2008
    • 2127

    #31
    Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
    You are correct. The NCAA disallows alcohol to be sold in facilities located on a campus.
    The Thomas & Mack Center isn't on UNLV's campus?

    Comment

    • TripletDaddy
      sweet triple
      • Nov 2008
      • 58186

      #32
      Originally posted by il Padrino Ute View Post
      You are correct. The NCAA disallows alcohol to be sold in facilities located on a campus.
      The NCAA is a sports organization. It doesn't control campus alcohol policy. It is persuasive as it pertains to alcohol sales at sporting events, but even then, i don't think there is a total ban.

      Check out this link to the USA today from a few years ago. There are still lots of schools that sell alcohol.

      Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

      sigpic

      Comment

      • il Padrino Ute
        Junior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 19161

        #33
        Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
        The NCAA is a sports organization. It doesn't control campus alcohol policy. It is persuasive as it pertains to alcohol sales at sporting events, but even then, i don't think there is a total ban.

        Check out this link to the USA today from a few years ago. There are still lots of schools that sell alcohol.

        http://www.usatoday.com/sports/colle...-alcohol_x.htm
        I guess I'm wrong.
        "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


        "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

        Comment

        • Jarid in Cedar
          CS Institutional Memory
          • Jun 2009
          • 13234

          #34
          Originally posted by JohnnyLingo View Post
          What does this mean, exactly?

          And I'm not convinced lowering the drinking age will result in college kids not trying to give themselves alcohol poisoning every weekend. College is for rebellion and fun, and partying hard is the way to do that, legal or not, IMO.
          It is akin to trying to prevent teen pregnancy by discussing sex, birth control, etc. vs. not doing anything.
          "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

          "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

          "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

          -Rick Majerus

          Comment

          • byu71
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22070

            #35
            I am against lowering the age. At least now if a BYU football player gets in trouble for drinking and he is 18,19 or 20, I can feel he is in trouble because he broke the law not the honor code.

            Comment

            • I.J. Reilly
              Nobody's Fool
              • Apr 2009
              • 2949

              #36
              Originally posted by Jarid in Cedar View Post
              It is akin to trying to prevent teen pregnancy by discussing sex, birth control, etc. vs. not doing anything.
              I think this is a pretty good analogy. Do you think that we would see a cooresponding drop in binge drinking as more take classes, just as you saw a drop in teen pregnancy as people became more educated about the subject? Also, there really isn't any shame attached to teen drinking as there is to an unwed pregnancy, do you think this would make it less likely to see the cooresponding drop?

              Comment

              • happyone
                Board Bookworm
                • Mar 2009
                • 5398

                #37
                I realize this is ancedotal at best, but...

                When I was in the Army the legal drinking age on Federal Installations (FT Campbell) was 18. I had more trouble with the 5 18-21 yr olds and in my platoon then with the other 18 people combined.

                This just probably faulty memory, but it seems at least once a month, I or my Plt Sgt had to go get one of them from the local MP station. Luckily (?) it mostly public intoxication and not drunk driving, but it still did not look good on their record.
                Last edited by happyone; 08-10-2009, 09:09 PM.

                I may be small, but I'm slow.

                A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

                Comment

                Working...