Mueller as Special Counsel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
    That’s not what I meant. His re-election chances would be over before the campaign begins. Plenty of people in the center want the investigation to play out, including me.
    Ah, so you're on the fence about whether you'd vote for him next time?

Comment

That’s not what I meant. His re-election chances would be over before the campaign begins. Plenty of people in the center want the investigation to play out, including me.
      In that sense he's in a very bad spot already. If the GOP loses control of the legislative branch, which seems likely right now, not only does he at best narrowly escape getting kicked out of office, but he probably gets primaried by someone like Kasich. And while primary challenges to sitting presidents don't succeed historically, it's also true that those presidents are weakened by it and ultimately lose in November to the other party.

Comment

• Mueller as Special Counsel

Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
        Ah, so you're on the fence about whether you'd vote for him next time?
        Last edited by Moliere; 04-19-2018, 08:56 PM.
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
          In that sense he's in a very bad spot already. If the GOP loses control of the legislative branch, which seems likely right now, not only does he at best narrowly escape getting kicked out of office, but he probably gets primaried by someone like Kasich. And while primary challenges to sitting presidents don't succeed historically, it's also true that those presidents are weakened by it and ultimately lose in November to the other party.
          That’s actually great news.
          "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

That’s actually great news.
            None of this is good news. How is anybody supposed to be pleased by the Democrats being back in power?
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
              None of this is good news. How is anybody supposed to be pleased by the Democrats being back in power?
              Anyone from the dems is better than trump

Comment

Because right now it's worse.

Comment

• A smear effort against Mueller, Comey

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...-comey-sot.cnn

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                    A smear effort against Mueller, Comey

https://www.cnn.com/videos/politics/...-comey-sot.cnn
                    Sheesh, I expect that from Lewandowski and Hannity, but Alan Dershowitz?
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
                      Because right now it's worse.
                      It can always get worse, putting the Dems back in power will make it a different kind of worse. It will always be a different kind of worse. I remember a description ascribed to Churchill where he worried that leaning on Stalin to get rid of Hitler would create far worse problems. So by analogy the Trump administration is a holy terror to common sense and reasonable traditions, do we invite the Bolsheviks to clean up the fascist mess? I want another option as I see more statism under Democratic control not the answer to the anarchy and mercurial narcissism of Trumpism. Surely we have something more than the binary response to this problem.

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
                        Sheesh, I expect that from Lewandowski and Hannity, but Alan Dershowitz?
                        Dershowitz is a defense attorney first and foremost, and stands consistently for liberties of criminal defendants no matter who they are. He has often represented detested defendants, and is consistent. The Whitey Bulger matter looks completely different depending on who tells the story. Mueller's defenders claim he had nothing to do with the affair, while detractors point to his position of power and potential for directing it behind the scenes. Frankly, I can't tell, as there is too much we don't know. I am, however, sympathetic to the claims of Dershowitz of the immense power that is subject to abuse in white collar crimes, as the charges of obstruction of justice and corruption, are very murky and extremely subject to abuse.

And I know I will be excoriated for asking this because I have not taken the time to listen to the reasons, but what is the excuse for the FBI to take the files of an attorney? Yes, I realize Cohen is a villain in this play and therefore no rights matter, but is anybody afraid that bad facts make bad law? Are we not setting bad precedent if we allow the government to seize an attorney's files? Maybe there's a simple answer for some of you who have listened or watched all that is going on.

Comment

It can always get worse, putting the Dems back in power will make it a different kind of worse. It will always be a different kind of worse. I remember a description ascribed to Churchill where he worried that leaning on Stalin to get rid of Hitler would create far worse problems. So by analogy the Trump administration is a holy terror to common sense and reasonable traditions, do we invite the Bolsheviks to clean up the fascist mess? I want another option as I see more statism under Democratic control not the answer to the anarchy and mercurial narcissism of Trumpism. Surely we have something more than the binary response to this problem.
                          You’re the same guy who said you were confident that a GOP Congress would keep Trumplestistskin under control, so your hyperbolic use of the term statism doesn’t hold much water. If you can’t fathom how having the opposition party in control of Congress would be a plus I don’t know what to tell you other than don’t be so John Birchy.

Comment

Dershowitz is a defense attorney first and foremost, and stands consistently for liberties of criminal defendants no matter who they are. He has often represented detested defendants, and is consistent. The Whitey Bulger matter looks completely different depending on who tells the story. Mueller's defenders claim he had nothing to do with the affair, while detractors point to his position of power and potential for directing it behind the scenes. Frankly, I can't tell, as there is too much we don't know. I am, however, sympathetic to the claims of Dershowitz of the immense power that is subject to abuse in white collar crimes, as the charges of obstruction of justice and corruption, are very murky and extremely subject to abuse.

And I know I will be excoriated for asking this because I have not taken the time to listen to the reasons, but what is the excuse for the FBI to take the files of an attorney? Yes, I realize Cohen is a villain in this play and therefore no rights matter, but is anybody afraid that bad facts make bad law? Are we not setting bad precedent if we allow the government to seize an attorney's files? Maybe there's a simple answer for some of you who have listened or watched all that is going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              You’re the same guy who said you were confident that a GOP Congress would keep Trumplestistskin under control, so your hyperbolic use of the term statism doesn’t hold much water. If you can’t fathom how having the opposition party in control of Congress would be a plus I don’t know what to tell you other than don’t be so John Birchy.
                              Nobody can control his antics or personal behavior, but substantively, he's been controlled. Dismiss for a moment his bizarre and oft immoral behavior, what has the Congress or the public not controlled?

For those in love with the ACA, did it get rescinded? No.
                              Has the tax reform wrought havoc on society, the markets and the economy? No.
                              What else has been done substantively? Not much.

So substantively he has been controlled.

I see no benefits of a Democratic controlled Congress for any persons, industries or segments of societies in which most of us function. I am waiting for you to identify a non-emotional benefit to the members of my society of small business-people of any ethnicity or orientation who simply need a functioning economy with as few barriers as possible. What possible benefit could more government intervention bring?

Comment

Because Cohen most of the time is not operating as an attorney. You don't get to break the law just because you're an attorney, and attorney-client privlege doesn't cover that. Maybe you should read up more about what's going before commenting.

Comment

Working...
                                X