No announcement yet.

Utah Senator Mitt Romney Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Utah doesn't really have a way to recall a senator - though a local legislator is proposing that one be developed (he insists that this has been in the works from LONG before the whole impeachment thing, and says he called Romney to tell him as much.)

But all of that aside - even if there was a way to vote for recall, I just don't see it working out how the folks who want Romney out would want it too.

I'm guessing you'd need at least 50% of voters to say they want to recall the guy. Let's just pretend that they set that bar that low for a recall.

First of all - I happen to know a lot of Republicans are not at all upset at Romney's vote. Sure - some are. But I'd be surprised if it was more than half. Seems like from what I've seen as far as responses from people - half would be a pretty fair guess.

But I think these hard core Trump supporters who want Romney out are forgetting that the Democrats get to vote too. They have to know that anyone replacing Romney is going to be another Republican. Just because of the current political leanings of Utah's demographics. So - would a Democrat rather leave Romney - someone who they know will go after Trump from time to time and stand up to him now and then - in DC? Or would they rather replace him with another GOP Senator that they don't know?

Yeah - I'm thinking Democrats would be voting to keep Romney in DC. There's no way he'd lose a recall vote in Utah - not unless he did something much "worse" than what he's done so far.

Comment

• I was sufficiently bugged by all of the Judas and RINO comments about Romney that I wasted a few minutes looking up various conservative think tank assessments of his voting record, and... It turns out Romney is a moderate Republican (!), siding with Trump Administration positions roughly 80% of the time (more often than many of his GOP colleagues). Some of the conservative organizations (e.g., Conservative Review, Heritage Action, etc.) rate Romney as more conservative than several of Trump's most ardent sycophants, including Mitch McConnell.

I am similarly annoyed by Trump's (and others') rips on Romney's flip flops over the years. There's good reason for such criticism (and for his position changes), but compared with Romney, Trump is a world-class contortionist, including switching political parties, apparently multiple times, and his positions on things like abortion ("I'm pro choice in every respect"), the Iraq War, universal health care, etc. But Trump's toadies are oblivious to their master's myriad shortcomings as they seek to extract motes from Romney's eye.

P.S. Apologies if the foregoing helps Bernie's election chances.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        I was sufficiently bugged by all of the Judas and RINO comments about Romney that I wasted a few minutes looking up various conservative think tank assessments of his voting record, and... It turns out Romney is a moderate Republican (!), siding with Trump Administration positions roughly 80% of the time (more often than many of his GOP colleagues). Some of the conservative organizations (e.g., Conservative Review, Heritage Action, etc.) rate Romney as more conservative than several of Trump's most ardent sycophants, including Mitch McConnell.

I am similarly annoyed by Trump's (and others') rips on Romney's flip flops over the years. There's good reason for such criticism (and for his position changes), but compared with Romney, Trump is a world-class contortionist, including switching political parties, apparently multiple times, and his positions on things like abortion ("I'm pro choice in every respect"), the Iraq War, universal health care, etc. But Trump's toadies are oblivious to their master's myriad shortcomings as they seek to extract motes from Romney's eye.

P.S. Apologies if the foregoing helps Bernie's election chances.
        So odd how that tag got pinned on Mitt, when the positions of all politicians "evolve." Except for Bernie. That dude is a dinosaur.

Agreed. Apologies if any of this helps Bernie's election chances.
        Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• I stumbled onto this on facebook. Not only is this letter ridiculous, but the post got a legit LOL when I noticed the guy was a) issuing his own press release about his letter; and b) patting himself on the back for all 178 shares. I also laughed that he didn't know how to share the image without capturing the electronic watermark at the bottom of the pdf. Mitt is toast.

Durbano.jpg
          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
            I stumbled onto this on facebook. Not only is this letter ridiculous, but the post got a legit LOL when I noticed the guy was a) issuing his own press release about his letter; and b) patting himself on the back for all 178 shares. I also laughed that he didn't know how to share the image without capturing the electronic watermark at the bottom of the pdf. Mitt is toast.

[ATTACH]9983[/ATTACH]
            JD from the uofutah. Explains a lot.

Mitt Happens!!!

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• Dear Mr. Durbano, I will return all of the money I received from you for my "campaign for the Utah Senate," which I assume was $0, as I was running for the United States Senate. And I carefully considered Mr. Dershowitz's analysis, even though his current view contradicts his earlier position. I ended up accepting his original views that are shared by many dozens of con law scholars. Love, Mitt

Comment

• Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
                JD from the uofutah. Explains a lot.

Mitt Happens!!!
                Yep. They love him up on the hill.

Trump_UofU.jpg
                "Seriously, is there a bigger high on the whole face of the earth than eating a salad?"--SeattleUte
                "The only Ute to cause even half the nationwide hysteria of Jimmermania was Ted Bundy."--TripletDaddy
                This is a tough, NYC broad, a doctor who deals with bleeding organs, dying people and testicles on a regular basis without crying."--oxcoug
                "I'm not impressed (and I'm even into choreography . . .)"--Donuthole
                "I too was fortunate to leave with my same balls."--byu71

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                  Dear Mr. Durbano, I will return all of the money I received from you for my "campaign for the Utah Senate," which I assume was $0, as I was running for the United States Senate. And I carefully considered Mr. Dershowitz's analysis, even though his current view contradicts his earlier position. I ended up accepting his original views that are shared by many dozens of con law scholars. Love, Mitt
                  Maybe that’s why he doesn’t show up as a Romney donor on open secrets!

https://www.opensecrets.org/search?q=Doug+Durbano+

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                    I stumbled onto this on facebook. Not only is this letter ridiculous, but the post got a legit LOL when I noticed the guy was a) issuing his own press release about his letter; and b) patting himself on the back for all 178 shares. I also laughed that he didn't know how to share the image without capturing the electronic watermark at the bottom of the pdf. Mitt is toast.

[ATTACH]9983[/ATTACH]
                    Some great comments in there.

Bret Butterfield Mitt believed the Gadianton Robbers who lie to gain power.
                    But, behold, I say unto you, that you must study it out in your mind; then you must ask me if it be right, and if it is right I will cause that your bosom shall burn within you; therefore, you shall feel that it is right. Mitt forgot the study out in your mind part.
                    Nice use of contemporary language Jennifer.
                    Jennifer Nelson What were we thinking for voting for him-not
                    Salient point, Clyde.
                    Clyde Shepherd People we must remember we are commanded to love all people, but it doesn’t mean we have to sit by them on the bus.
                    How are you and I the only ones that see it, Carlos??
                    Carlos Lira Romney's goal is to become governor of California! That's why he's pandering to the left!
                    Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• All these Mitt haters are idiots.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        All these Mitt haters are idiots.
                        Great post!

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          Maybe that’s why he doesn’t show up as a Romney donor on open secrets!

https://www.opensecrets.org/search?q=Doug+Durbano+
                          Sadly, Douglas Durbano checks out. $5500 to Romney. But you know who he didn’t donate to?
                          Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

• OMG Durbano's a mouth breathing idiot. He would be a lot of fun to meet in court on the other side of the aisle. His awful writing is bad enough without aping Trump's tweeting style! Sad.
                            "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• Originally posted by Commando View Post
                              OMG Durbano's a mouth breathing idiot. He would be a lot of fun to meet in court on the other side of the aisle. His awful writing is bad enough without aping Trump's tweeting style! Sad.
                              Why is Dershowitz hailed as the end all of liberal minds? For the past few years he's exclusively pandered to the right wing and practically lives on Fox News sets.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                                Why is Dershowitz hailed as the end all of liberal minds? For the past few years he's exclusively pandered to the right wing and practically lives on Fox News sets.
                                So does Donna Brazile these days... I am guessing she is spying for Hillary.
                                "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Working...
                                X