Las Vegas Strip - Deadliest Mass Shooting in US

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ByronMarchant View Post
    I will also concede that mentioning MMM on a Mormon message board is about as smart as mentioning 9/11 on an Afghan message board.

MMM was a long time ago and very different so we can all just forget about it and focus on vegas. Sorry.
    There is an appropriate time to discuss that, but in light of a very current tragedy to rail against your former religion using old episodes and then to rant on political topic, makes you out to be insensitive in light of some knowing people injured and those that perished. But go ahead, rant away.
    "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

I will also concede that mentioning MMM on a Mormon message board is about as smart as mentioning 9/11 on an Afghan message board.

MMM was a long time ago and very different so we can all just forget about it and focus on vegas. Sorry.
      No big. I forgive you.
      Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Comment

This guy wasn't just a vanilla guy, his father was on the FBI top ten most wanted list and a total psychopath. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. Maybe we should prohibit offspring of people on the top ten most wanted list from buying a gun.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/02/vegas-g...t-wanted-list/
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

In another dimension "Marchant" is the shooter.

Which proves he's a serial dick.

When poet puts pen to paper imagination breathes life, finding hearth and home.
            -Mid Summer's Night Dream

Comment

Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
              This guy wasn't just a vanilla guy, his father was on the FBI top ten most wanted list and a total psychopath. The apple didn't fall far from the tree. Maybe we should prohibit offspring of people on the top ten most wanted list from buying a gun.

http://nypost.com/2017/10/02/vegas-g...t-wanted-list/

At least fully automatic ones.
              "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
              "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
              "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                largest vs. larger

Seems clear on its face.

You fell victim to the same assumption, apparently.
                Possibly the dumbest, most worthless argument to possibly have, especially in a thread like this.
                Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                  There's a story in USA Today about available modifications to semi automatic guns, but the WaPo story makes it sound like it would be impossible to fire the number of rounds this guy did with merely a semi-automatic with these modifications. The gun barrels couldn't handle it.
                  Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

There's a story in USA Today about available modifications to semi automatic guns, but the WaPo story makes it sound like it would be impossible to fire the number of rounds this guy did with merely a semi-automatic with these modifications. The gun barrels couldn't handle it.
                    he had a bunch of guns. cook barrel, swap gun.
                    Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

Originally posted by clackamascoug View Post
                      In another dimension "Marchant" is the shooter.

Which proves he's a serial dick.
                      Isn't there a board rule against this sort of thing?

Comment

How many rounds are we talking about?

Comment

Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                          you're right, this guy also could have thrown knives out of the hotel window and killed 50/wounded 500+.
                          Crap, you got me. I'm obviously wrong, because I was trying to make the point that this would have gone down exactly as it did if the shooter didn't have a gun, and that his only option would be to attack from a hotel window. I should have know better than to try to match wits with someone as brilliant as you, who understands that CCW people all carry .38's with only 4 rounds. Are you Sicilian, by chance?
                          sigpic
                          "Outlined against a blue, gray
                          October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                          Grantland Rice, 1924

Comment

I just had an idea.

How about we ban semi-automatic guns for 10 years and then track the data.

If mass shootings still occur at the same rate over the course of a decade, I'll concede the point of the gun-toting NRAers, and you can have your "2nd amendment rights" back.

I'm just suggesting that you folks agree to push pause on the semi-automatics for one decade of your life and instead try to enjoy old fashioned guns for awhile.

Comment

Originally posted by Green Monstah View Post
                              largest vs. larger

Seems clear on its face.

You fell victim to the same assumption, apparently.
                              Apparently.
                              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                              - SeattleUte

Comment

Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
                                How many rounds are we talking about?
                                This is what the WaPo says:

Semiautomatic weapons can legally simulate automatic fire with “bump” modifications to the stock, which harnesses the recoil and the shooter’s stance to more quickly move the bolt, according to the Trace, a nonprofit website that examine gun violence in the United States.

Paddock’s choice of a firing position 400 yards from the stage at a high overlook suggests a plan of attack to fire into a densely packed area where accuracy would not be a top concern. That distance is near the 500-yard effective range for an M-4, but machine guns are typically more powerful. A weapon such as the M-249 Squad Automatic Weapon, or SAW, is effective at 800 meters for individual targets.

The difference between the two is enormous from a lethality standpoint. On the battlefield, for instance, an M-4 rifle is a semiautomatic rifle. Training manuals suggest 12 to 15 rounds a minute for sustained firing, which would avert the risk of its barrel overheating.
                                Obviously this guy didn't care what was going to happen to the functionality of the gun. But he was apparently going on for something like 8 or 9 minutes. The commercially available guns take something like 30 round clips, from the sound of it, he would go through that in 10-15 seconds. I don't know what would happen to something like a modded AR 15 if you try to fire that many shots in such a short period of time. Does it cool off while you use the other guns to the point where you can return to it in a couple minutes and it will function correctly?

Comment

Working...
                                X