Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
    It's not unclear. It's just Trump using this silly theater to appease his base.
    Yeah, no president has ever tried that before . . .

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
      Yeah, no president has ever tried that before . . .
      Not like he has. But I'm more annoyed by his total lack of respect for Constitutional norms. He's beyond anything we've seen before in that area. Give specific examples from others if you want to make the argument that he's just the same.

Comment

Not like he has. But I'm more annoyed by his total lack of respect for Constitutional norms. He's beyond anything we've seen before in that area. Give specific examples from others if you want to make the argument that he's just the same.
        FDR
        "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
          FDR
          Yes, he tried to stack the Court, which didn't work.

But he didn't try to do everything by executive order like Trump does. I suppose he didn't have to since he had Congress on his side for most of his time. He got his agenda passed the normal way, through Congress, only to have the courts strike down a lot of it.

But FDR getting too powerful is why we have term limits now.
          Last edited by BlueK; 02-19-2019, 01:56 PM.

Comment

But he didn't try to do everything by executive order like Trump does. I suppose he didn't have to since he had Congress on his side for most of his time. He got his agenda passed the normal way, through Congress, only to have the courts strike down a lot of it.

Obama used executive orders regularly after republicans took congress in 2010, many of which Trump reversed when he took office. GWB used executive orders regularly when he lost the house in 2006, many of which Obama reversed when he took office. Bill Clinton used executive orders regularly when he lost congress in 1994, many of which GWB reversed when he took office.

See a pattern? Governing by executive order is common when there is divided government, but they are not very effective. There are plenty of things to complain about with Trump. Pandering to his base by taking some executive privilege is pretty low on the list.

Comment

• Originally posted by wapiti View Post
              There are plenty of things to complain about with Trump. Pandering to his base Marching to the orders of Putin by taking some executive privilege is pretty low on the list.
              FIFY. BlueK and frank can thank me later.
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
              You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Another example is Truman and the Steel Industry. Just before a Steel Workers strike in 1952, HST tried to Nationalize the Steel industry and prevent the strike by declaring a National Emergency. The Supreme Court said "UH....No!"

If that didn't qualify, I can't see the Wall and immigration qualifing
                Last edited by happyone; 02-19-2019, 05:37 PM.

I may be small, but I'm slow.

A veteran - whether active duty, retired, or national guard or reserve is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to, "The United States of America ", for an amount of "up to and including my life - it's an honor."

Comment

• President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Originally posted by BlueK View Post

Oh, I’m sorry my example wasn’t EXACTLY like what Trump is doing
                  "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

If Trump gets away with this "national emergency!" nonsense, I hope the GOP enjoys it when the next dem president declares one on climate change when they can't get their green new deal to pass Congress. Terrible precedent. The House will vote against it and even in the Senate there should be enough votes to force a veto. In the end, I think the courts will strike it down. Trump is probably a little naive about that. Either that, or he thinks he's got enough now to tell his base that he "fought" for them against those terrible immigrants and hope they call it good.
                    He's not naive. He knows the courts will shut him down, but he saves face with his base. Trump can afford to lose to the courts, but he doesn't want to be seen as losing to Nancy Pelosi. Politically, it is the correct maneuver.
                    "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                      He's not naive. He knows the courts will shut him down, but he saves face with his base. Trump can afford to lose to the courts, but he doesn't want to be seen as losing to Nancy Pelosi. Politically, it is the correct maneuver.
                      I’m really not sure he thinks the courts will shut him down. Trump has certainly prove to be politically naive.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                        I’m really not sure he thinks the courts will shut him down. Trump has certainly prove to be politically naive.
                        He may expect it won't win in the courts right now, but as the process proceeds his ego will kick in and he'll try to make the case in public. Then when he's handed his 9-0 loss at the Supreme Court since the Constitution couldn't be more clear about this issue, he will flip out and all sorts of fun things will come through his twitter.
                        Last edited by BlueK; 02-20-2019, 07:56 AM.

Comment

He may expect it won't win in the courts right now, but as the process proceeds he'll try to make the case in public.
                          You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
                          Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
                          You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                            That's it? I missed the part about the president reallocating funds Congress didn't give him.

But personally, I still disagree with 90% of what Bill just said there. That's why I'm a libertarian.
                            Last edited by BlueK; 02-22-2019, 07:43 AM.

Comment

• lol. Partisans acting like showing a clip of Bill Clinton on immigration is checkmate for Democrats/Libtards. Newsflash: Bill Clinton was a Draconian shit monger when it came to immigration. His IRAIRA took the biggest dump on the Immigration & Nationality Act imaginable. In fact, we largely need immigration reform now just to recover from its wide-spread adverse effects on the system. And he did it to give the Gingrich regime a nice reach-around the aisle for political capital. And why not? Not like those dumb illegals are going cost him politically!
                              "I'm anti, can't no government handle a commando / Your man don't want it, Trump's a bitch! I'll make his whole brand go under,"

Comment

• This explains a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X