Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
    FIFY... the resolution has nothing to do with border barriers. It was written by the dems, who think border walls are immoral and want open borders. It was simply a resolution to issue paychecks to the federal workers so they could put food on their tables, pay the rent, etc. but not end the shutdown. The dems just wanted to temp these poor federal workers with a paycheck to get them to start rioting against the government like they did in France. What a bunch of sick basturds!

Why does Trump want to pay people who aren’t working?
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

FIFY... the resolution has nothing to do with border barriers. It was written by the dems, who think border walls are immoral and want open borders. It was simply a resolution to issue paychecks to the federal workers so they could put food on their tables, pay the rent, etc. but not end the shutdown. The dems just wanted to temp these poor federal workers with a paycheck to get them to start rioting against the government like they did in France. What a bunch of sick basturds!

Ted you're the worst Libertarian ever. From your party's platform: 3.4 Free Trade and Migration

We support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human as well as financial capital across national borders.

https://www.lp.org/platform/

More from the party website on immigration:

Libertarians believe that if someone is peaceful, they should be welcome to immigrate to the United States.

Libertarians believe that people should be able to travel freely as long as they are peaceful. We welcome immigrants who come seeking a better life. The vast majority of immigrants are very peaceful and highly productive.

Indeed, the United States is a country of immigrants, of all backgrounds and walks of life…some families have just been here for more generations than others. Newcomers bring great vitality to our society.

A truly free market requires the free movement of people, not just products and ideas.

Whether they are from India or Mexico, whether they have advanced degrees or very little education, immigrants have one great thing in common: they bravely left their familiar surroundings in search of a better life. Many are fleeing extreme poverty and violence and are searching for a free and safe place to try to build their lives. We respect and admire their courage and are proud that they see the United States as a place of freedom, stability, and prosperity.

Of course, if someone has a record of violence, credible plans for violence, or acts violently, then Libertarians support blocking their entry, deporting, and/or prosecuting and imprisoning them, depending on the offense.

Libertarians do not support classifying undocumented immigrants as criminals. Our current immigration system is an embarrassment. People who would like to follow the legal procedures are unable to because these procedures are so complex and expensive and lengthy. If Americans want immigrants to enter through legal channels, we need to make those channels fair, reasonable, and accessible.

https://www.lp.org/issues/immigration/

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
        Why does Trump want to pay people who aren’t working?
        Yeah, you are right... the Dems knew that Drumpf would just veto it so they saved the senate the trouble of voting on it. That’s why they voted no on their resolution. Makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
          Ted you're the worst Libertarian ever. From your party's platform: 3.4 Free Trade and Migration

We support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human as well as financial capital across national borders.

https://www.lp.org/platform/

More from the party website on immigration:

Libertarians believe that if someone is peaceful, they should be welcome to immigrate to the United States.

Libertarians believe that people should be able to travel freely as long as they are peaceful. We welcome immigrants who come seeking a better life. The vast majority of immigrants are very peaceful and highly productive.

Indeed, the United States is a country of immigrants, of all backgrounds and walks of life…some families have just been here for more generations than others. Newcomers bring great vitality to our society.

A truly free market requires the free movement of people, not just products and ideas.

Whether they are from India or Mexico, whether they have advanced degrees or very little education, immigrants have one great thing in common: they bravely left their familiar surroundings in search of a better life. Many are fleeing extreme poverty and violence and are searching for a free and safe place to try to build their lives. We respect and admire their courage and are proud that they see the United States as a place of freedom, stability, and prosperity.

Of course, if someone has a record of violence, credible plans for violence, or acts violently, then Libertarians support blocking their entry, deporting, and/or prosecuting and imprisoning them, depending on the offense.

Libertarians do not support classifying undocumented immigrants as criminals. Our current immigration system is an embarrassment. People who would like to follow the legal procedures are unable to because these procedures are so complex and expensive and lengthy. If Americans want immigrants to enter through legal channels, we need to make those channels fair, reasonable, and accessible.

https://www.lp.org/issues/immigration/

Yes, I am all for the legal immigration of people that are peaceful and productive... we need all the engineers we can get. This resolution, however, didn't have anything to do with funding border security or immigration. It was simply to pay the federal workers so they can buy food. The dems said instead, to their own bill...

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Yes, I am all for the legal immigration of people that are peaceful and productive... we need all the engineers we can get. This resolution, however, didn't have anything to do with funding border security or immigration. It was simply to pay the federal workers so they can buy food. The dems said instead, to their own bill...

I don't think either side should use a government shutdown in an attempt to give themselves extra negotiating power for trying to pass something they want when they don't have the votes any other way. That's what Trump's doing. I don't see any problem with passing a resolution to reopen the government first before continuing with the border/wall debate.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...mp_139262.html
            Last edited by BlueK; 01-24-2019, 08:12 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
              I don't think either side should use a government shutdown in an attempt to give themselves extra negotiating power for trying to pass something they want when they don't have the votes any other way. That's what Trump's doing. I don't see any problem with passing a resolution to reopen the government first before continuing with the border/wall debate.

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/ar...mp_139262.html
              The dems should have voted "yes" to their own resolution then... instead they wanted to continue with the border security debate at the cost of government workers not receiving their paychecks.

What is wrong with paying federal employees so they can buy food?
              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

The dems should have voted "yes" to their own resolution then... instead they wanted to continue with the border security debate at the cost of government workers not receiving their paychecks.

What is wrong with paying federal employees so they can buy food?
                in the article you posted it clearly said it was a GOP sponsored bill. 10 dems went along with it, but it didn't pass.

Comment

in the article you posted it clearly said it was a GOP sponsored bill. 10 dems went along with it, but it didn't pass.
                  Read slowly...

The bill: (Pay careful attention to who sponsored the bill.)
                  https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...-resolution/28

Transcription of discussion and arguments: (Pay careful attention to who argued for the bill.)
                  https://www.congress.gov/congression...article/H689-1

The vote: (Pay careful attention who voted against the bill.)
                  http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll043.xml

Note that it is the same bill...

Let me know if you are still having problems.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Read slowly...

The bill: (Pay careful attention to who sponsored the bill.)
                    https://www.congress.gov/bill/116th-...-resolution/28

Transcription of discussion and arguments: (Pay careful attention to who argued for the bill.)
                    https://www.congress.gov/congression...article/H689-1

The vote: (Pay careful attention who voted against the bill.)
                    http://clerk.house.gov/evs/2019/roll043.xml

Note that it is the same bill...

Let me know if you are still having problems.
                    cool. They should have passed it then like all the others that did pass. Would McConnell have allowed a vote in the Senate?

Comment

cool. They should have passed it then like all the others that did pass. Would McConnell have allowed a vote in the Senate?
                      The others passed because more than 10 dems voted for them. Given that all the GOP'ers in the house voted for it I think that McConnell would have considered it.
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• LOL. Bring out the billionaire to opine about federal workers not getting paid.

This almost writes itself:

"...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
                        "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
                        - SeattleUte

Comment

The others passed because more than 10 dems voted for them. Given that all the GOP'ers in the house voted for it I think that McConnell would have considered it.
                          No he wouldn't have. He hasn't allowed anything to come to a vote without Trump's blessing. He deserves the most blame out of everyone for this lasting this long. Because if something would have gotten passed it would have landed on Trump's desk and he would have had to deal with the heat at that point which in his normal coward fashion he wants someone else to take for him. So McConnell has volunteered for that role.
                          Last edited by BlueK; 01-24-2019, 11:12 AM.

Comment

No idea how you read that and think “oh some more engineers are kosher.” It’s broader than that. Undocumented immigration is not a crime.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              No idea how you read that and think “oh some more engineers are kosher.” It’s broader than that. Undocumented immigration is not a crime.
                              Engineers and scientists are the best kind of people... I am reminded of that every time I read my signature (thanks to SU). Of course, we could some more doctors and nurses as well. But forget the lawyers... We already have too many of them and could use deporting a few, no matter their citizenship status.

Illegal immigration is as the name implies... illegal. Becoming legal would reduce the level of stress for folks but in the current state of things that is easier said than done. Maybe the law makers need to start talking about immigration rather than kicking the can down the road. Drumpf maybe is trying to get them to talk about it. I suspect we will get some half-ass spending bill with the promise from law makers they will do something about illegal immigration but will face yet another shutdown because the law makers yet again didn't act on their promise. The only way to get them to do something about immigration reform, it seems, is to lock them in a room without food or water until they get it done. Maybe Drumpf could sign an executive order to make that happen.
                              Last edited by Uncle Ted; 01-24-2019, 11:55 AM.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

Engineers and scientists are the best kind of people... I am reminded of that every time I read my signature (thanks to SU). Of course, we could some more doctors and nurses as well. But forget the lawyers... We already have too many of them and could use deporting a few, no matter their citizenship status.

Illegal immigration is as the name implies... illegal. Becoming legal would reduce the level of stress for folks but in the current state of things that is easier said than done. Maybe the law makers need to start talking about immigration rather than kicking the can down the road. Drumpf maybe is trying to get them to talk about it. I suspect we will get some half-ass spending bill with the promise from law makers they will do something about illegal immigration but will face yet another shutdown because the law makers yet again didn't act on their promise. The only way to get them to do something about immigration reform, it seems, is to lock them in a room without food or water until they get it done. Maybe Drumpf could sign an executive order to make that happen.
                                there are a lot of things at the store we don't need but we don't abdicate it to the government to decide how many should be produced for us. That's a communist idea called government central planning and it was a colossal failure in the soviet union and eastern bloc. So I don't think it should be used for other inputs in the economy like deciding how much immigrant labor we need. But conservatives like to say they believe in free markets, but then draw the line and lose faith in markets when it may involve people coming in who look or talk different. That's what it's really about. The white nationalists are at least honest about the reasoning around that even though it's repulsive. And if it's not really for the "cultural" reasons conservatives don't like immigration, then I really think they've just been duped into believing free markets are good for some parts of the economy but not others, which is kind of nonsensical.

Libertarians are consistent in supporting free markets and individual rights.

By the way, it looks like Mike Lee was one of the Republican votes against the wall funding bill and Mitt Romney was one of the six Republican votes for the democrat idea to end the shutdown but not finance the wall. Both failed to get to 60, but the democrat bill got 2 more votes (52) than the wall-funding bill did.
                                Last edited by BlueK; 01-24-2019, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X