Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uh oh...is today the start of a market correction?

Comment

• Originally posted by BlueK View Post
      Uh oh...is today the start of a market correction?
      Nope. It started yesterday.

Hold on to your butts!
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

Uh oh...is today the start of a market correction?
        people are afraid of what trump is going to say in the sotu
        Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
          people are afraid of what trump is going to say in the sotu
          That, and most models seem to indicate stocks are way overvalued right now. Corrections happen. Who knows if this is just a slight dip today or the start of a major one.

Comment

• So I thought Trump gave a really nice State of the Union speech. Some good stories and nice call to our better selves. Really, really uncharacteristic of him. I'll give it a day before he f's it up with a stupid tweet.

Comment

Who knows

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                So I thought Trump gave a really nice State of the Union speech. Some good stories and nice call to our better selves. Really, really uncharacteristic of him. I'll give it a day before he f's it up with a stupid tweet.
                Don't fall for Drumpf Jedi mind tricks, YO...

"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

So I thought Trump gave a really nice State of the Union speech. Some good stories and nice call to our better selves. Really, really uncharacteristic of him. I'll give it a day before he f's it up with a stupid tweet.
                  Shhhhhh, that's unpossible.

I also thought it was good. Kennedy's speech was smarmy and it sort of reminded me of a conference talk. I honestly thought he was going to break into tears and it wasn't much of a rebuttal.

Comment

I found myself being bothered more by style than substance, so I have to give him some credit. But I find his style overwhelmingly annoying. He claims credit for everything positive and disclaims everything negative (politicians do this all the time of course, but Trump has taken this tendency to another level), using "I" more frequently than any president or even most dictators, I'd expect. And his facial expressions (head tilted slightly back, jaw thrust forward, looking down at the audience with obvious self-approval) are very reminiscent of Mussolini (watch some of his speeches--he's a bit more animated than Trump but some of the parallels are eerie--short video example follows between 0:38 and 0:50). But yes, my criticisms of last night's speech are mainly superficial.

[youtube]kuSaohflsR0?t=38[/youtube]

Comment

• "Beautiful, clean coal"

"There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                        Shhhhhh, that's unpossible.

I also thought it was good. Kennedy's speech was smarmy and it sort of reminded me of a conference talk. I honestly thought he was going to break into tears and it wasn't much of a rebuttal.
                        better than the "American carnage" speech for sure, or the nomination acceptance speech where he promised he will always tell us the truth. I guess Stehpen Miller was busy when he needed a speech writer for this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
                          I found myself being bothered more by style than substance, so I have to give him some credit. But I find his style overwhelmingly annoying. He claims credit for everything positive and disclaims everything negative (politicians do this all the time of course, but Trump has taken this tendency to another level), using "I" more frequently than any president or even most dictators, I'd expect. And his facial expressions (head tilted slightly back, jaw thrust forward, looking down at the audience with obvious self-approval) are very reminiscent of Mussolini (watch some of his speeches--he's a bit more animated than Trump but some of the parallels are eerie--short video example follows between 0:38 and 0:50). But yes, my criticisms of last night's speech are mainly superficial.
                          Yeah, I about just lost it when the crowd broke out in the "U.S.A." chant....

"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Interesting observations in this article about what Trump said related to N. Korea:

"In his speech, Trump focused less on the regime’s nuclear weapons than on the nature of the regime itself. He told the story of Otto Warmbier, an American student arrested in North Korea who died shortly after his return to the United States. And he saluted Warmbier’s parents, who he had invited to watch the speech. This isn’t that unusual; telling the stories of individual Americans has become a State of the Union tradition. But then Trump did something more unfamiliar: He told the story of a non-American, a defector named Mr. Ji Seong Ho, who endured grotesque horrors in North Korea before making it to the South.

If Trump still aims to pressure Kim Jong Un into a nuclear deal, these stories are counterproductive. The North’s central rationale for developing nuclear weapons is to forestall the kind of regime change America brought about in Libya and Iraq. Trump—by emphasizing the depravity of the North Korean regime in his most high-profile speech of the year—thus strengthens Kim’s justification for never giving his nukes up.

But if Trump’s real aim was to rally public support for a military strike, the Warmbier and Ji stories serve a purpose. They rouse moral indignation. The Warmbier case even makes American military action seem like an act of self-defense. Kim’s regime brutalized a U.S. citizen. Now, as Trump told Warmbier’s parents, “we pledge to honor Otto’s memory with American resolve.

As Trump was preparing to deliver his address, news broke that the White House was withdrawing the nomination of former Bush National Security Council official Victor Cha to be ambassador to South Korea. The Financial Times reported that Cha had been “asked by [administration] officials whether he was prepared to help manage the evacuation of American citizens from South Korea —an operation known as non-combatant evacuation operations—that would almost certainly be implemented before any military strike.” Cha, the Financial Times reported, “had expressed his reservations about any kind of military strike.” These reservations apparently cost him his job.

Maybe the FT story is wrong. Maybe Trump isn’t as serious about a “bloody nose” military strike against Pyongyang as some reports suggest. But his State of the Union speech suggests, at the very least, that Congress should begin debating the risks of war. “North Korea’s reckless pursuit of nuclear missiles could very soon threaten our homeland,” declared Trump on Tuesday night. So could Trump’s reckless pursuit of a military solution to a problem that has none. It’s up to Congress to try to stop it."

https://www.theatlantic.com/internat...tu-cha/551933/

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                              "Beautiful, clean coal"

Yeah, I didn't even know we were at war with coal... I thought nature gas was at war with coal.
                              GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                                Yeah, I didn't even know we were at war with coal... I thought nature gas was at war with coal.
                                gotta keep those 50,000 coal miners in WV happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X