Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

President Trump: Making America Great Again...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Eddie View Post
    This morning on KSL they were talking about the inauguration, and in particular how sometimes the inauguration (and in particular inauguration speeches) can bring the country together.

The reporter said she was hoping that Trump was able to do this with his speech.

I had to chuckle. For 8 years, Obama promised us hope. Trump hasn't even been sworn in yet, but I'm willing to bet he's got more of the country "hoping" than Obama ever did.
    Last week after lamenting for the umpteenth time how little regard Trump has for uplifting rhetoric, I re-read Lincoln's first and second inaugural addresses ("the better angels of our nature", "with malice toward none, with charity for all...") which had the effect of simultaneously inspiring me and depressing me. We've elected the street-smart wiseass who bragged and mouthed off a lot in jr. high P.E. class. I never thought he'd amount to anything. I'm still not sure he will.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
      Last week after lamenting for the umpteenth time how little regard Trump has for uplifting rhetoric, I re-read Lincoln's first and second inaugural addresses ("the better angels of our nature", "with malice toward none, with charity for all...") which had the effect of simultaneously inspiring me and depressing me. We've elected the street-smart wiseass who bragged and mouthed off a lot in jr. high P.E. class. I never thought he'd amount to anything. I'm still not sure he will.
      But he's pretty good with an accordion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I told him he was a goddamn Nazi Stormtrooper.

Comment

• Originally posted by PaloAltoCougar View Post
        You are such a pessimist. How are we your fans supposed to be uplifted by such a depressing outlook?
        Last edited by Topper; 01-16-2017, 05:13 PM.
        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topper View Post
          You are such a pessimist. How we your fans supposed to be uplifted by such a depressing outlook?
          Chin up. Dwight's accordion video lifted my spirits. We'll be fine.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dwight Schr-ute View Post
            But he's pretty good with an accordion.

We have some clever comedians. Thank you.
            "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

• In news that isn't too surprising:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...donations.html

Anyone still think the Clinton's weren't peddling influence for donations?

Comment

• Originally posted by imanihonjin View Post
                In news that isn't too surprising:

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017...donations.html

Anyone still think the Clinton's weren't peddling influence for donations?
                You mean like just about every other politician in history?
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                  You mean like just about every other politician in history?
                  So you don't see a difference between raising cash for campaigning and raising cash for the foundation run by your family? Furthermore, the dems proclaimed time and time again that donations had nothing to do with her time as SoS or pres. candidate. As to how donors viewed her charity, can't get much more blatant proof positive than having donations dry up as soon as her political career was over than having contributors stop contributing.

Comment

So you don't see a difference between raising cash for campaigning and raising cash for the foundation run by your family? Furthermore, the dems proclaimed time and time again that donations had nothing to do with her time as SoS or pres. candidate. As to how donors viewed her charity, can't get much more blatant proof positive than having donations dry up as soon as her political career was over than having contributors stop contributing.
                    I have no doubt whatsoever that people donated hoping to curry political favors. But how is that any different from political donations to candidates which have been happening forever? Either way you are buying influence. Why do you think Orrin Hatch is such a champion of the quack medicine industry? $$$
                    "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                    "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.

Comment

I have no doubt whatsoever that people donated hoping to curry political favors. But how is that any different from political donations to candidates which have been happening forever? Either way you are buying influence. Why do you think Orrin Hatch is such a champion of the quack medicine industry? $$$
                      Well, for one, people are limited to how much they can donate to a campaign to something like $2700. No such limitation applies to a foundation. I think you might be able to "purchase" more influence if you contribute $1M as opposed to $2700. What do you think?

Comment

• It was a good 4 days of not watching anything on TV but sports. Didn't even get to see the BYU game because of a conflict.

I get back and in one day I am constantly reminded we have a President elect acting like a jackass and a revered hero of the Civil Rights movement making a jackass of himself.

I have stopped laughing at all this crap, but I will bet the Russians won't be able to stop laughing.

Kinda reminds me of three of my friends. There is a real controversy between two of them. When things get boring, the third friend brings it up to watch them go at it.

Comment

Well, for one, people are limited to how much they can donate to a campaign to something like $2700. No such limitation applies to a foundation. I think you might be able to "purchase" more influence if you contribute $1M as opposed to $2700. What do you think?
                          Both buy influence, but the Clinton Foundation funds are used for various charitable causes around the globe, while direct political donations are used for TV ads, etc. Of course the limits should be different.

Hey, I am happy to see Hillary ride off into the sunset. But neither party has any kind of monopoly on virtue here. Don't kid yourself.

Comment

Hey, I am happy to see Hillary ride off into the sunset. But neither party has any kind of monopoly on virtue here. Don't kid yourself.
                            You are exactly right. That is why it is hillarious seeing one side accuse the other side of something. Then you think about the country, it's future and it's troubles and turn to tears seeing these jackasses in charge.

I am sure there are some honorable people in both parties, but they aren't easy to find.

Comment

• Does that mean she won't run again in 2020? I'm sure she would have won if she tried a third time.

"Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                                Does that mean she won't run again in 2020? I'm sure she would have won if she tried a third time.

Just like William Jennings Bryant.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
                                "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
                                - Goatnapper'96

Comment

Working...
                                X