2016 Presidential Predictions

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Northwestcoug
    Cocked and Loaded
    • May 2011
    • 18029

    #331
    Originally posted by creekster View Post
    Is it? I'm too much of a dumb white person to even know what you mean by that.

    Although, to be clear, even though I am dumb and white, I did NOT vote for Trump, who I find unacceptable. But I grew up with poor white people. I grew up with copper miners and farmers and other blue collar workers. I was the first person in my family to go to college and one of the few to graduate from high school without needing a GED. I know these people and they are not well-educated in a traditional sense, but they are not stupid. They have values and those values matter to them. They act on conscience and they most often do the right thing. I resent that so many here and in the press are today claiming Trump is elected because these people are pure bigots and idiots. They are not. They are good people and they ARE America and they have spoken. I have no doubt that most of them voted as they did in spite of Trump and his failings as opposed to becasue of him. We should not impute his characteristics to the voters who support him. They are only hoping for something better, not endorsing him as a person, at least not anymore than they endorsed any of the other very flawed persons that have been elected to public offices over the years.
    Creek, my whole point is that you interjected the 'dumb white people' into the argument, when I said nothing of the sort. Although I think a vote for Trump is in general based on fear, and I think those that voted for him are misguided, I am not questioning their intelligence.

    I am having the same argument with my daughter right now. She can't believe half of America voted for Trump. I can't either . But I keep telling her that most people are inherently good, even those that make moral judgments diametrically opposed to ours. The rust-belt voters who voted for Trump made an overall judgment call on Trump, which was based on their life experiences, and we shouldn't automatically expect someone to vote similarly to us if they don't share our experiences. I can respect the reasons why someone voted for him, and still feel that in general it is based on ignorance of what I feel are far more important issues. And a Trump supporter is free to do the same with me.
    "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
    "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
    - SeattleUte

    Comment

    • Walter Sobchak
      Adventurer
      • Oct 2009
      • 3815

      #332
      Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
      It seems like there should be a bigger chance than usual of the incumbent in 2020 getting beaten than in other elections.
      Stop. As other people have noted, you (apparently) are really good at jinx'ing these things.

      Mark Cuban in 2020.
      You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

      Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

      Comment

      • creekster
        It is NOT a monkey!
        • Nov 2008
        • 22661

        #333
        This is from NPR
        Meanwhile, college-educated whites appear to have preferred Trump slightly, according to current exit poll figures (which, once again, could still shift some). That would mean Trump moderately underperformed Romney, who won this group by 14 points, according to the data from Pew.

        However, that would still essentially be a win for Trump, considering that at one point, it looked like Trump might be the first Republican in decades to lose white, college-educated Americans.
        Men, voters in key counties and white people — particularly less-educated whites — helped Donald Trump vault past Hillary Clinton to win the presidential election.
        PLesa excuse the tpyos.

        Comment

        • creekster
          It is NOT a monkey!
          • Nov 2008
          • 22661

          #334
          Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
          Creek, my whole point is that you interjected the 'dumb white people' into the argument, when I said nothing of the sort. Although I think a vote for Trump is in general based on fear, and I think those that voted for him are misguided, I am not questioning their intelligence.

          I am having the same argument with my daughter right now. She can't believe half of America voted for Trump. I can't either . But I keep telling her that most people are inherently good, even those that make moral judgments diametrically opposed to ours. The rust-belt voters who voted for Trump made an overall judgment call on Trump, which was based on their life experiences, and we shouldn't automatically expect someone to vote similarly to us if they don't share our experiences. I can respect the reasons why someone voted for him, and still feel that in general it is based on ignorance of what I feel are far more important issues. And a Trump supporter is free to do the same with me.
          That sounds fair.
          PLesa excuse the tpyos.

          Comment

          • Shaka
            Senior Member
            • Dec 2008
            • 10450

            #335
            Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
            So your counter evidence is personal anecdotes? Ha.
            The pundits talked about this last night.

            I can use more personal anecdotes. I work in a factory. We employ a grunt load of unskilled production workers starting at $12.80 an hour. We also have every other type of employee from engineers to paper pushers like me. It wasn't just the production workers (who from what I can tell were split pretty evenly) who voted for Trump. There were plenty of the white collar folks in both both in our SLC facility and corporate in Palo Alto who are open about their politics who were Trump supporters. Just as many were advocating for Hillary. However, there were also many who lamented the choices but wouldn't actually take a side publicly. These are the voting ninjas to which I refer. I would bet most of these broke for Trump.

            Comment

            • fusnik
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 4475

              #336
              Here's what we know:

              Obama super popular
              Lawmakers unpopular
              Exit polls said Americans wanted change

              We made no change except at POTUS

              And that man was the guy who tried to delegitimize the first AA president.

              Comment

              • Shaka
                Senior Member
                • Dec 2008
                • 10450

                #337
                Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                lol you're not this dumb
                No but I'm close

                Comment

                • byu71
                  Senior Member
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 22070

                  #338
                  Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                  No but I'm close
                  I know you well enough to know you aren't dumb enough to make stuff up and get caught doing it.

                  Comment

                  • Color Me Badd Fan
                    Senior Member
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12519

                    #339
                    Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
                    Stop. As other people have noted, you (apparently) are really good at jinx'ing these things.

                    Mark Cuban in 2020.
                    I have my methods of getting what I want.

                    "I'm George, I'm unemployed and I live with my parents."
                    Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

                    Comment

                    • old_gregg
                      scaly man fish
                      • Nov 2009
                      • 16915

                      #340
                      Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                      I know you well enough to know you aren't dumb enough to make stuff up and get caught doing it.
                      i'm still confused about what this means
                      Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

                      Comment

                      • HuskyFreeNorthwest
                        Time to camp
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 26082

                        #341
                        The democrats have a huge elitism problem. It blinds them from the truth. Which is Trump didn't draw people because their inner racist came out. He drew people because they want to give a middle finger to both parties in washington and are willing to overlook the dumb horseshit that he's said over the year.
                        Get confident, stupid
                        -landpoke

                        Comment

                        • fusnik
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4475

                          #342
                          One thing I think I can agree with poor white america is that the dems have forgotten them for the Caitlyn Jenners and Reza Aslans and SJWs of the world.

                          I hope this ushers in more Corey Bookers and less Elizabeth Warrens.

                          Comment

                          • Jeff Lebowski
                            Corporate lackey for Jesus
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 69723

                            #343
                            Originally posted by HuskyFreeNorthwest View Post
                            The democrats have a huge elitism problem. It blinds them from the truth. Which is Trump didn't draw people because their inner racist came out. He drew people because they want to give a middle finger to both parties in washington and are willing to overlook the dumb horseshit that he's said over the year.
                            False dichotomy. It can be both.
                            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69723

                              #344
                              Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                              One thing I think I can agree with poor white america is that the dems have forgotten them for the Caitlyn Jenners and Reza Aslans and SJWs of the world.

                              I hope this ushers in more Corey Bookers and less Elizabeth Warrens.
                              Amen to that.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • Topper
                                Pre-Historic Man
                                • Nov 2011
                                • 11764

                                #345
                                Originally posted by fusnik View Post
                                One thing I think I can agree with poor white america is that the dems have forgotten them for the Caitlyn Jenners and Reza Aslans and SJWs of the world.

                                I hope this ushers in more Corey Bookers and less Elizabeth Warrens.
                                Agreed.
                                "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

                                Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

                                Comment

                                Working...