Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What can be done about DWIs?

http://www.click2houston.com/news/bo...-fm-2920-crash

This doesn't hit too close to home (figuratively), although it is close to home (literally), but a drunk driver ran a red light at a nearby intersection. He hit another car and killed three people. This was his 4th DWI. Because he hit and killed someone (three people actually) he is being charged with felony murder. Let's say that he hit the car and just seriously injured the 3 people...would he still be facing life in prison? Probably not, but is that fair? Maybe.

Stupid people that drive drunk. Self-driving cars can't come fast enough.
    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

This doesn't hit too close to home (figuratively), although it is close to home (literally), but a drunk driver ran a red light at a nearby intersection. He hit another car and killed three people. This was his 4th DWI. Because he hit and killed someone (three people actually) he is being charged with felony murder. Let's say that he hit the car and just seriously injured the 3 people...would he still be facing life in prison? Probably not, but is that fair? Maybe.

We need better automobile control.
    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Originally posted by myboynoah View Post
      We need better automobile control.
      if you make owning cars a crime, only criminals will have cars.
      PLesa excuse the tpyos.

Comment

It is amazing to me that we treat DWIs so leniently in the criminal justice system. Here is the latest example:

http://espn.go.com/espnw/sports/arti...uilty-dui-case

The charges could be completely dismissed after a year, WHAT!?! Seriously this is outrageous. How can we be so lenient on a completely avoidable problem?

Comment

Originally posted by Moliere View Post

Holy crap...

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...ht-7904445.php

I thought Texas recently passed a law requiring breathalyzers ignition switches to be installed in the cars of people with a DWI conviction or something like that.
          "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
          "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
          "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

I made a bunch of other defense attorney's uncomfortable by saying that I feel that penalties for first and second dui's are too lenient. I also believe that most of the people that I know who drink have driven drunk a time or two. I just wish the message would get across more thoroughly.

Comment

Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
              Holy crap...

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-te...ht-7904445.php

I thought Texas recently passed a law requiring breathalyzers ignition switches to be installed in the cars of people with a DWI conviction or something like that.
              Yeah, the intersection is where two 45mph streets cross (one might even be 55mph). He ran the light at least at full speed.

I'm fine with alcohol being legal but the penalties for driving drunk should be worse for at least the second and third offenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
              "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

Having been on both sides of the argument, I feel like they are too harsh and too lenient at the same time. By setting the legal limit at .08, enforcement has basically turned DUI into a cash cow for the courts, treatment providers, interlock providers, etc. However in all the DUI's I have seen involving accidents the BAC has been much higher, .12 or above. Based on the various metabolization rates of alcohol, someone can get in a car legal and be illegal before they get home or vice versa. I would give "one free bite" between .08 and .119 with minimal penalties including no loss of license, but mandatory interlock for a couple years. The reasoning for that is that most of those DUIs are simply the police fishing with pretextual, but allowable stops for blinkers, rolling stop signs, etc. after 10pm. They get someone who had a drink or two and barely fails a field sobriety test designed to be failed, and that person is then without a license for 4 months and looking at 3-4k in extra expenses. Let people have a rude awakening with the interlock and a basic reminder course but that is about it.

For anyone who blows a .12 or higher, I have no sympathy. To get in a car with that much in your system is a conscious choice and cannot be claimed as a mistake. They should lose the privilege to drive for a minimum of one year, spend a month in jail with work release or work crew if unemployed (no ankle monitoring allowed), and be required to be sober for 2 years with random testing.

2nd offenses of anykind should be a felony with permanent loss of license and other commiserate penalties. I think that would solve the concerns of both sides of the argument that the current limit is too low and that penalties are too lax.

Additionally any driving while suspended for DUI or without proper interlock needs to result in stiffer penalties because right now those can be pled out with a very insignificant slap on the wrist, though there are a few judges that as a policy impose jail time.
                “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

I have no sympathy for people driving under the influence. I was almost killed several years ago when I was stopped at a traffic light on a motorcycle, and a guy plowed through me and into the intersection without slowing down. It totaled his truck, threw me about 30 feet and put me in the hospital for a couple of weeks. Turns out it was his third DUI in a year and he was set to be prosecuted as a felony and I was scheduled to testify. He pleaded down to an interlock system. The only way he would have seen jail time is if I had actually died. You'll never convince me that the current laws are too harsh.
                  "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

Originally posted by Non Sequitur View Post
                    I have no sympathy for people driving under the influence. I was almost killed several years ago when I was stopped at a traffic light on a motorcycle, and a guy plowed through me and into the intersection without slowing down. It totaled his truck, threw me about 30 feet and put me in the hospital for a couple of weeks. Turns out it was his third DUI in a year and he was set to be prosecuted as a felony and I was scheduled to testify. He pleaded down to an interlock system. The only way he would have seen jail time is if I had actually died. You'll never convince me that the current laws are too harsh.
                    Maybe I didn't word it correctly, but my biggest issue with the current laws is the low BAC at which someone is considered DUI. I suspect that the guy who hit you was .15 or higher, as is the overwhelming case with DUI related accidents. My proposal hits those who are in BAC range more likely to cause an accident harder than any current law in the nation but serves as a decent reminder to those who are at a lower level.
                    “Every player dreams of being a Yankee, and if they don’t it’s because they never got the chance.” Aroldis Chapman

Comment

If you have even one drink and get behind the wheel, you should be penalized. I don't drink, I have no sympathy for those that do.

I am active in my local golf club. I am shocked at the amount of alcohol people drink and then get in their car and drive. Some people have zero regard for anyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by Copelius View Post
                        Maybe I didn't word it correctly, but my biggest issue with the current laws is the low BAC at which someone is considered DUI. I suspect that the guy who hit you was .15 or higher, as is the overwhelming case with DUI related accidents. My proposal hits those who are in BAC range more likely to cause an accident harder than any current law in the nation but serves as a decent reminder to those who are at a lower level.
                        I understand this argument. Once upon a time, BAC was .12 or .10. Then came the understandable outrage at some of the horrendous accidents, which usually involve BACs far above those limits. A small woman can easily be legally intoxicated after a drink and one half, what some people drink at a dinner without any noticeable intoxication or impairment.
                        "Guitar groups are on their way out, Mr Epstein."

Upon rejecting the Beatles, Dick Rowe told Brian Epstein of the January 1, 1962 audition for Decca, which signed Brian Poole and the Tremeloes instead.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Tick View Post
                          If you have even one drink and get behind the wheel, you should be penalized. I don't drink, I have no sympathy for those that do.

I am active in my local golf club. I am shocked at the amount of alcohol people drink and then get in their car and drive. Some people have zero regard for anyone else.
                          I can get on board with that position as well. My issue is if you are going to say don't drink and drive period then say it, but if you are saying that DUI is based more on impairment then .08 is too low and the penalties should reflect that.

Comment

When I was in Australia the BAC was .05. Everyone took the train.
                            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

I agree that there are plenty of people who can and do drive (pretty safely) all the time at the lower limit of legal impairment.

Tough to feel bad for people who get arrested for DWI because most of them I'm sure have broken the law dozens if not hundreds of times without getting pulled over by the time they finally wreck or get pulled over once or twice. Throw the book at them!

Comment

Working...
                              X