X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by falafel View Post
    Tastes just like a hot pocket.
    Is that a Gaffigan bit?
    "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
    - Goatnapper'96

Comment

• Originally posted by Pelado View Post
      Is that a Gaffigan bit?
      Last edited by falafel; 07-14-2019, 09:32 AM.
      Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
        Since they raise anticipatory anxiety, shouldn’t there be some kind of heads up given before a trigger warning is used?
        Yes, absolutely. I like to use the word "education" to describe this kind of heads up. Might be useful to start this early in life, maybe around age 5.

Comment

• Originally posted by swampfrog View Post
          Yes, absolutely. I like to use the word "education" to describe this kind of heads up. Might be useful to start this early in life, maybe around age 5.
          Yes like they said in The Coddling of the American Mind, educate kids that what doesn’t kill them makes them stronger.

It’s only pansy-ass liberal snowflakes who would even come up with the concept of being triggered. It’s not a thing!

Comment

• Originally posted by CardiacCoug View Post
            Yes like they said in The Coddling of the American Mind, educate kids that what doesn’t kill them makes them stronger.

It’s only pansy-ass liberal snowflakes who would even come up with the concept of being triggered. It’s not a thing!
            Nah. I just learned that parenting doesn't matter. It's all about genetics.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
              Nah. I just learned that parenting doesn't matter. It's all about genetics.
              That explains a lot.
              Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• This "safe space" nonsense has gone way beyond the classroom. Social workers, child protection workers, and others who have basically zero supervision/accountability are working to bring it into homes.
                We all trust our own unorthodoxies.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View Post
                  This "safe space" nonsense has gone way beyond the classroom. Social workers, child protection workers, and others who have basically zero supervision/accountability are working to bring it into homes.
                  I don't think there is anything wrong with the term safe space. It has just been taken to the extreme. I've used the term "safe space," as in clients are safe to talk about whatever they want, and need not filter for fear of judgment. Social Workers don't have zero accountability btw.

Comment

• Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                    I don't think there is anything wrong with the term safe space. It has just been taken to the extreme. I've used the term "safe space," as in clients are safe to talk about whatever they want, and need not filter for fear of judgment. Social Workers don't have zero accountability btw.
                    Sure, "zero" is overstated. I'll stand by "inadequate" accountability, though.

Comment

Sure, "zero" is overstated. I'll stand by "inadequate" accountability, though.
                      I’ve had plenty of micromangers. I’ve had very good, adequate and inadequate supervision. I’m not sure it’s different from any other line of work, at least when it comes to direct supervision.

Eddie would have insight into CPS workers.

Comment

I’ve had plenty of micromangers. I’ve had very good, adequate and inadequate supervision. I’m not sure it’s different from any other line of work, at least when it comes to direct supervision.

Eddie would have insight into CPS workers.
                        I think we're speaking past one another. I didn't mean that social workers don't have supervisors; rather, that they can (and do) jerk with peoples lives and there's little to be done about it.

Comment

I think we're speaking past one another. I didn't mean that social workers don't have supervisors; rather, that they can (and do) jerk with peoples lives and there's little to be done about it.
                          I think your speaking mostly about CPS workers here? I’ll still defer to Eddie on this accept to add I’ve worked with some folks who used to work for DCFS. They told me some awful stories about serious abuse happening and the children remaining in the home, sometimes resulting in deaths. They aren’t the most powerful entity within that system.

As for social workers in general, I’m not sure what you are talking about with them jerking people’s lives around. When I worked with formerly homeless people, when I was immediately out of grad school I’m not sure how I could’ve jerked people around. I helped them apply for benefits, took them to the food bank, voc rehab, homeless court. Really not sure how that fits. Oh and if the clients didn’t like you they could petition for your removal, which was generally affective.

Most social work jobs are like that in terms of power.

As for social workers who are therapists, jerk someone around get sued and lose your license etc. You’re also working with unwell people so you may get sued anyway.

I’d worry more about accountability with border patrol right now.
                          Last edited by frank ryan; 07-16-2019, 02:28 PM.

Comment

I think your speaking mostly about CPS workers here? I’ll still defer to Eddie on this accept to add I’ve worked with some folks who used to work for DCFS. They told me some awful stories about serious abuse happening and the children remaining in the home, sometimes resulting in deaths. They aren’t the most powerful entity within that system.

As for social workers in general, I’m not sure what you are talking about with them jerking people’s lives around. When I worked with formerly homeless people, when I was immediately out of grad school I’m not sure how I could’ve jerked people around. I helped them apply for benefits, took them to the food bank, voc rehab, homeless court. Really not sure how that fits. Oh and if the clients didn’t like you they could petition for your removal, which was generally affective.

Most social work jobs are like that in terms of power.

As for social workers who are therapists, jerk someone around get sued and lose your license etc. You’re also working with unwell people so you may get sued anyway.

I’d worry more about accountability with border patrol right now.
                            A report filed by a single social worker can result in the kinds of consequences that would normally require due process, notice of a hearing, presumption of innocence, and regard for rights.

I appreciate work with the homeless and infirm and certainly wasn't trying to besmirch you personally. I'm glad you've done such good things in your life.

But even a brief look at the influence of social workers in family court--whether they work for CPS or someone else--is disturbing.

Comment

• As Clay Travis has said, because the demand for racism far outstrips the supply, you get these hilarious race hoaxes.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/co...VSOTaMnVLmHEP/

This one is especially crazy, because it was the black state legislator telling the Cuban guy to "go back where he came from." She then goes out and claims he said it to her. The man's social media posts show he's stridently anti-Trump and actually commented on the chant from Trump's speech last week. You can't make this one up.
                              Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
                                As Clay Travis has said, because the demand for racism far outstrips the supply, you get these hilarious race hoaxes.

https://www.ajc.com/blog/politics/co...VSOTaMnVLmHEP/

This one is especially crazy, because it was the black state legislator telling the Cuban guy to "go back where he came from." She then goes out and claims he said it to her. The man's social media posts show he's stridently anti-Trump and actually commented on the chant from Trump's speech last week. You can't make this one up.
                                An example of why the standard of presumption of innocence is a miracle that should be vigorously defended. It applies in non-legal scenarios also. A society where this is one of the established values is more likely to survive and remain relatively free over time. Its erosion is dangerous. Intersectionality allows people without verifiable proof to accuse indiscriminately--and be given credence. When accusation regularly becomes judgment the end of liberty is likely near.

Echoes the Evergreen State College exchanges. Intersectionalism is a power redistribution based on group identity rather than merit, which invites abuse.

Comment

Working...
                                X