No announcement yet.

The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The handmaid criticism is pretty silly.

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
      The handmaid criticism is pretty silly.
      Her husband won't let her do anything!
      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• Originally posted by SCcoug View Post
        The handmaid criticism is pretty silly.
        What is the handmaid criticism, exactly? I see the word being used and I have a faint understanding that it is somehow connected to that show but other than that I don’t know what it is they are saying.
        τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Originally posted by All-American View Post
          What is the handmaid criticism, exactly? I see the word being used and I have a faint understanding that it is somehow connected to that show but other than that I don’t know what it is they are saying.
          She and her fam are in a super friends of jesus club and she even obtained the rank of handmaid (as high as a doll can get!!)
          And it is silly, but they sure don’t want people to know about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Now who’s the dean? View Post
            She and her fam are in a super friends of jesus club and she even obtained the rank of handmaid (as high as a doll can get!!)
            And it is silly, but they sure don’t want people to know about it.
            Hey Lil' Frank, your bigotry is showing. Did you ever carry the title of Deacon, Teacher, Priest, Elder? Do you have a wife or relative that was ever a Beehive, or a Laurel, or a Mia Maid, or carried the title of Relief Society President, or Primary President, or something similar? Moliere was right that it's ironic Mormons are wetting themselves over the title of handmaid. Eff you indeed.

Why don't you offer up some substantive critique of her judicial decisions or something more constructive than criticizing the handmade title, which is about as erudite as criticizing Romney's "magic underwear"?

Comment

• Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
              Hey Lil' Frank, your bigotry is showing. Did you ever carry the title of Deacon, Teacher, Priest, Elder? Do you have a wife or relative that was ever a Beehive, or a Laurel, or a Mia Maid, or carried the title of Relief Society President, or Primary President, or something similar? Moliere was right that it's ironic Mormons are wetting themselves over the title of handmaid. Eff you indeed.

Why don't you offer up some substantive critique of her judicial decisions or something more constructive than criticizing the handmade title, which is about as erudite as criticizing Romney's "magic underwear"?
              i agree, i keep telling my wife she shouldn't be offended by her title of "master dishwasher"
              Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• The Supreme Court, bastion of conservatism

Originally posted by BigFatMeanie View Post
                You’re not making the point you think you’re making, at least as far as I’m concerned.
                The anti-science religious right (and all the bs they’ll put up with in the name of stopping abortions and the horrors of “happy holidays” and restrictions on machine guns) is the biggest threat to American democracy there is right now. To the extent that religion can’t coexist with science, religion has to give. I have no reason to believe she shares that view. And I will make fun of her for that. And what’s really ironic is the mormons who don’t care to realize or acknowledge the fact that all those holy voters find mormons just as vile as the icky gays and muslims.

Comment

You’re not making the point you think you’re making, at least as far as I’m concerned.

The anti-science religious right (and all the bs they’ll put up with in the name of stopping abortions and the horrors of “happy holidays” and restrictions on machine guns) is the biggest threat to American democracy there is right now. To the extent that religion can’t coexist with science, religion has to give. I have no reason to believe she shares that view. And I will make fun of her for that. And what’s really ironic is the mormons who don’t care to realize or acknowledge the fact that all those holy voters find mormons just as vile as the icky gays and muslims.
                  You are being disingenuous. You really can't be this simplistic in your understanding of her judicial philosophy. Reddit might better provide the type of arguments you are looking for.

Comment

I don’t think the anti-science religious right is nearly as big or as powerful as you think they are. I’d also say that the anti-free speech left is just as big of a threat to democracy and the left can be just as anti-science as the right.

ACB, from what I can tell from her speeches and the written articles about her, seems more compelled by strict adherence to written law than she does to her own religious beliefs. I admire that and support it because it puts the responsibility for creating laws where it should be, on the legislature.

I also don’t think you know what “ironic” means

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

Comment

• Originally posted by old_gregg View Post
                      i agree, i keep telling my wife she shouldn't be offended by her title of "master dishwasher"

Comment

• Originally posted by Moliere View Post
                        I don’t think the anti-science religious right is nearly as big or as powerful as you think they are. I’d also say that the anti-free speech left is just as big of a threat to democracy and the left can be just as anti-science as the right.

ACB, from what I can tell from her speeches and the written articles about her, seems more compelled by strict adherence to written law than she does to her own religious beliefs. I admire that and support it because it puts the responsibility for creating laws where it should be, on the legislature.

Agreed. ACB doesn't scare me at all. Strong endorsement here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-supreme-court
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

The anti-science religious right is currently in power in the White House. So, yah it is as big and powerful as it is being made out to be.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                            Agreed. ACB doesn't scare me at all. Strong endorsement here:

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/ar...-supreme-court
                            I had seen a snippit of this before, but hadn't read the full article. I agree, that is an impressive endorsement.

Comment

Agree to disagree!!

Comment

• The only reason that "Handmaid" is getting any play here, is the success of the novel "A Handmaid's Tale" by Margaret Atwood, and its subsequent cinema life on Hulu. If Atwood had written "A Virgin's Tale" or "A Brood Mare's Tale" there would be absolutely no story.

Comment

Working...
                                X