Self-Driving Cars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
    How many of you armchair software developers are checking your upcoming flights to see if it is booked on a 737 Max? Just curious.
    I have flown a 737 max many times now... very nice plane. Rather quite compare to the old crap. I am bummed that Drumpf has grounded them.

The planes most likely crashed because the dumb pilots didn't trust that the HAL 9000 was doing the right thing in flying the plane.

"I'm sorry, Dave."
    "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
    "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
    "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
    GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
      "I'm sorry, Dave."
      Software gonna do what software gonna do.

You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
      Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump
      You furnish the pictures, and I’ll furnish the war. --William Randolph Hearst

Comment

• Originally posted by Walter Sobchak View Post
        Software gonna do what software gonna do.
        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
          I have flown a 737 max many times now... very nice plane. Rather quite compare to the old crap. I am bummed that Drumpf has grounded them.

The planes most likely crashed because the dumb pilots didn't trust that the HAL 9000 was doing the right thing in flying the plane.

"I'm sorry, Dave."

Comment

• Originally posted by beefytee View Post
            I thought WS said they will never happen.

I did check my flight, more out of fear that I would have to reschedule. My brother's vacation to Hawaii had to rebook and his ititerary sucks now.

I would have had no problem flying the 737 max 8 or 9 if I really needed to get somewhere. Statistically I'm pretty sure my drive home has a higher risk of death. Just the same, it was the right thing to do to ground them and get this glitch fixed.
            problem is, it isn't either/or - you still have to drive home on top of it. the risk might be small, but it is still an increase in risk. just saying.
            I'm like LeBron James.
            -mpfunk

Comment

• Oh, bother.

Consumer Reports says Tesla’s new autopilot setting raises ‘serious safety concerns’

Tesla’s latest update to its autopilot function raises “serious safety concerns,” according to Consumer Reports magazine.

The magazine said its test of Tesla’s Navigate on Autopilot feature, which was first introduced last year for highway driving and updated with new options in April, performed worse than human drivers and even created new risks for them.

[...]

“The feature cut off cars without leaving enough space and even passed other cars in ways that violate state laws,” the magazine said Wednesday. “As a result, the driver often had to prevent the system from making poor decisions.”

The damning words from a highly respected consumer review magazine could be a problem for the automaker as it looks to mitigate safety concerns about its Autopilot driver assistance system, which was in use during three deadly car accidents in recent years.

One of the company’s recent options offered to its autopilot system allows the vehicle to change lanes on its own without confirmation from the driver.

Though the driver can stop the vehicle from changing lanes by moving the turn signal or canceling the change on the car’s touchscreen, Consumer Reports found the feature was subpar compared with human drivers.

“This isn’t a convenience at all,” Jake Fisher, senior director of auto testing at CR, said in the report. “Monitoring the system is much harder than just changing lanes yourself. Using the system is like monitoring a kid behind the wheel for the very first time. As any parent knows, it’s far more convenient and less stressful to simply drive yourself.”
              You're actually pretty funny when you aren't being a complete a-hole....so basically like 5% of the time. --Art Vandelay
              Almost everything you post is snarky, smug, condescending, or just downright mean-spirited. --Jeffrey Lebowski

Anyone can make war, but only the most courageous can make peace. --President Donald J. Trump

Comment

• Tesla On Autopilot Slams Into Stalled Car On Highway, Expect More Of This

In theory, the Tesla Autopilot should not have been susceptible to a mind-freeze that a human being might have and would have unemotionally and computationally calmly calculated the matter. This would involve detecting the object ahead, and interpreting that the object was not moving, and ascertaining that the Tesla was moving toward the stalled object and would intersect (badly) with it, and then try to figure out what action to take.

According to the reported incident, the Autopilot did not engage the brakes. If so, we should be asking, why not? As a minimum, at least the Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB) should presumably have engaged.

Also, apparently the Autopilot did not try to swerve the car and avoid or reduce the head-on impact, which once again we are left to ask why it did not do so? Was it because it failed to consider utilizing any quick-maneuver options? As a side note, the Tesla manual warns that the Autopilot might not well handle these kinds of situations, though I have more to say about that aspect in a moment herein.

[ read more ]
                Last edited by Walter Sobchak; 05-26-2019, 11:34 AM.

Comment

• I remain optimistic about autonomous vehicles in general. But Tesla’s version of it seems way behind the ball.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

Comment

• Domino’s will start delivering pizzas via an autonomous robot this fall
                    Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

• I don't like it... I have to walk to the end of my sidewalk to get my pizza because the dumb robot won't bring it to my door.

And just think of all the high quality jobs that are going to be replaced by these!
                      GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

Comment

• Dominos tech is awesome but I just don't like their pizza. Like a C-. My kids love it, though.

Comment

• Originally posted by YOhio View Post
                          Dominos tech is awesome but I just don't like their pizza. Like a C-. My kids love it, though.
                          Gotta agree. Not that good.
                          Give 'em Hell, Cougars!!!

For all this His anger is not turned away, but His hand is stretched out still.

Not long ago an obituary appeared in the Salt Lake Tribune that said the recently departed had "died doing what he enjoyed most—watching BYU lose."

Comment

Dominos tech is awesome but I just don't like their pizza. Like a C-. My kids love it, though.
                            Get the Brooklyn-style crust. Still not great, but moves it from a C- to a B-, IMO.
                            Prepare to put mustard on those words, for you will soon be consuming them, along with this slice of humble pie that comes direct from the oven of shame set at gas mark “egg on your face”! -- Moss

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese. --Coach Finstock

Comment

My son loves Domino's. When we were in Paris last year, there was a Domino's near our flat. He begged to get it, and I stayed strong until my wife and (then) youngest crashed at 5pm on our next-to-last day, and I figured what the hell?
                              Jesus wants me for a sunbeam.

"Cog dis is a bitch." -James Patterson

Comment

• Originally posted by Donuthole View Post
                                Get the Brooklyn-style crust. Still not great, but moves it from a C- to a B-, IMO.
                                I'll definitely give this a try. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X