Why people need to put more thought into the gay marriage issue

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • UVACoug
    Senior Member
    • Mar 2013
    • 2685

    #1

    Why people need to put more thought into the gay marriage issue

    I find this blog post to be pretty interesting with respect to thinking about the gay marriage issue. I don't agree with everything the author says, but I agree with his conclusion ... people need to think about this issue a lot more than they do, rather than immediately jumping to conclusions and then calling their opponents names:

    A Libertarian View If this were an essay on economics, it would be the best essay on economics I’ve read in a year or more. If this were an essay on social structures, it would be the best es…


    I found this quote from GK Chesterton particularly apt:

    In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it.”This paradox rests on the most elementary common sense. The gate or fence did not grow there. It was not set up by somnambulists who built it in their sleep. It is highly improbable that it was put there by escaped lunatics who were for some reason loose in the street. Some person had some reason for thinking it would be a good thing for somebody. And until we know what the reason was, we really cannot judge whether the reason was reasonable. It is extremely probable that we have overlooked some whole aspect of the question, if something set up by human beings like ourselves seems to be entirely meaningless and mysterious. There are reformers who get over this difficulty by assuming that all their fathers were fools; but if that be so, we can only say that folly appears to be a hereditary disease. But the truth is that nobody has any business to destroy a social institution until he has really seen it as an historical institution. If he knows how it arose, and what purposes it was supposed to serve, he may really be able to say that they were bad purposes, that they have since become bad purposes, or that they are purposes which are no longer served. But if he simply stares at the thing as a senseless monstrosity that has somehow sprung up in his path, it is he and not the traditionalist who is suffering from an illusion.
  • Mormon Red Death
    BYU Delenda Est
    • Nov 2008
    • 8077

    #2
    Naw I will stick to not caring.

    Sent from my SGH-T999 using Tapatalk 2
    "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

    "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #3
      Chesterton was a genius. His Fence is famous, up there with Occam's Razor in usefulness in dialectics. Borges loved him. I love Borges, so Chesterton holds a special place in my literary heart.

      However, I do not feel like people have not reasoned out the reasonableness of hetero-only marriage. The issue has been discussed, and at some point, if you hold to Chesterton's fence, juxtaposed with the 14th Amendment, one of two things must happen.

      The gate will be torn down

      or

      The gate will be torn down and rebuilt further down the path

      If you tear down the gate, you hold that the 14th applies to all, and marriage is a civil right.

      If you move the gate, then you see that the State now only recognizes civil unions, with marriage now the province of institutions that wish to provide their own rites, services, or sealings.

      Personally, I hope we allow marriage between consenting adults, but I wouldn't be shocked if civil unions become the law of the land.

      Instead of Chesterton, though, I like one of the inscriptions in the Jefferson Memorial:

      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • Pelado
        Bald not naked
        • Sep 2010
        • 21143

        #4
        For those of us unfamiliar with Chesteron's fence:

        In the matter of reforming things, as distinct from deforming them, there is one plain and simple principle; a principle which will probably be called a paradox. There exists in such a case a certain institution or law; let us say, for the sake of simplicity, a fence or gate erected across a road. The more modern type of reformer goes gaily up to it and says, “I don’t see the use of this; let us clear it away.” To which the more intelligent type of reformer will do well to answer: “If you don’t see the use of it, I certainly won’t let you clear it away. Go away and think. Then, when you can come back and tell me that you do see the use of it, I may allow you to destroy it.
        "I think it was King Benjamin who said 'you sorry ass shitbags who have no skills that the market values also have an obligation to have the attitude that if one day you do in fact win the PowerBall Lottery that you will then impart of your substance to those without.'"
        - Goatnapper'96

        Comment

        • il Padrino Ute
          Junior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 19161

          #5
          Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
          Chesterton was a genius. His Fence is famous, up there with Occam's Razor in usefulness in dialectics. Borges loved him. I love Borges, so Chesterton holds a special place in my literary heart.

          However, I do not feel like people have not reasoned out the reasonableness of hetero-only marriage. The issue has been discussed, and at some point, if you hold to Chesterton's fence, juxtaposed with the 14th Amendment, one of two things must happen.

          The gate will be torn down

          or

          The gate will be torn down and rebuilt further down the path

          If you tear down the gate, you hold that the 14th applies to all, and marriage is a civil right.

          If you move the gate, then you see that the State now only recognizes civil unions, with marriage now the province of institutions that wish to provide their own rites, services, or sealings.

          Personally, I hope we allow marriage between consenting adults, but I wouldn't be shocked if civil unions become the law of the land.

          Instead of Chesterton, though, I like one of the inscriptions in the Jefferson Memorial:

          The 2nd Amendment is what keeps us free from the barbarous regimes. Let's not allow anyone to limit our ability to defend ourselves and stop with the {redacted} gun grabbing. (Different topic, I know, but wuap's posting of this is fitting).

          Sorry about the threadjack, va. I'll delete it if you'd like me to do so.
          Last edited by il Padrino Ute; 03-30-2013, 04:46 PM.
          "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


          "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

          Comment

          • ewth8tr
            Reverend of Irreverence
            • Nov 2008
            • 2347

            #6

            Sent from my SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2
            "I don't mind giving the church 10% of my earnings, but 50% of my weekend mornings? Not as long as DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket is around." - Daniel Tosh

            Comment

            Working...