What is the purpose of assault weapons?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • calicoug
    Junior Member
    • Oct 2011
    • 1556

    #376
    Originally posted by All-American View Post
    So is it your argument that a weapon is only constitutional if it is widely used? If so, you might not be alone-- both Heller and McDonald seem to suggest as much-- but it begs the question to say that you can restrict access to guns until they come into common use. Otherwise, the same rule that now protects handguns, if implemented 200 years ago, would keep handguns from ever becoming common enough to be protected.
    No. That isn't my argument. For constitutionality purposes, I would argue that the less necessary a gun is for self-defense, the less likely it is we have a constitutional right to own that gun.

    Comment

    • frank ryan
      Senior Member
      • Nov 2008
      • 12373

      #377
      Originally posted by All-American View Post
      No. In fact, every child in America should be given three nuclear missiles. Of course there should be restrictions.
      I was sincerely curious. No need to be rude as hell.

      Comment

      • calicoug
        Junior Member
        • Oct 2011
        • 1556

        #378
        Originally posted by All-American View Post
        No. In fact, every child in America should be given three nuclear missiles. Of course there should be restrictions.
        Sorry AA, but you are getting these questions because your logic as expressed in your posts here is really difficult to parse out, internally inconsistent and difficult to comprehend.
        Last edited by calicoug; 12-23-2012, 11:03 AM.

        Comment

        • Shaka
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 10449

          #379
          Sorry if this has been posted earlier. One of the better gun control articles I've read.

          Comment

          • Colly Wolly
            Junior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 1824

            #380
            The purpose of an assault rifle is to kill people who don't want people owning assault rifles.

            Comment

            • Jeff Lebowski
              Corporate lackey for Jesus
              • Nov 2008
              • 69706

              #381
              Originally posted by calicoug View Post
              Sorry AA, but you are getting these questions because your logic as expressed in your posts here is really difficult to parse out, internally inconsistent and comprehend.


              Keep it coming, man. Seriously.
              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

              Comment

              • Jeff Lebowski
                Corporate lackey for Jesus
                • Nov 2008
                • 69706

                #382
                I went to visit a buddy of mine yesterday. He is right in the middle of building two AR-15s for Christmas (one for himself and one for his son). He got all the parts for his son's gun but was halfway through getting his done when the shooting happened. He has the stock, a clip, and trigger assembly, but that is it. He visited a few gun stores the next day and all had huge lines and almost nothing left. One had a line going down the street about a block and a half. He called every store in Utah and they all said they are completely out of stock. Same story with online sellers.
                "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                Comment

                • All-American
                  Right, as Usual
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 15665

                  #383
                  Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                  I was sincerely curious. No need to be rude as hell.
                  Apologies, then.

                  Yes, I believe there should be restrictions, and that there are weapons that are and should be off limits.
                  τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                  Comment

                  • pellegrino
                    miserere me
                    • Jan 2009
                    • 12100

                    #384
                    Originally posted by calicoug View Post
                    Doesn't the fact that far more people use a shotgun or handgun suggest those tools are actually more useful or necessary? Or do you think people just prefer using the less useful tool?

                    If a tool is useful and is widely available, there ought to be many, many examples of it being used in a useful context. And that doesn't appear to be the case. So...
                    I'm breaking my self imposed sanction and responding, but there is a simple answer to your question, and it's really just economical.

                    A cheap pump shotgun can be purchased for around $150-$200, a nicer one for around $300. The same can be said for cheap handguns.

                    A cheap AR-15 or other semiautomatic magazine fed rifle starts at around $650-$700 (probably more now that there is a shortage).

                    It has very little to do with the usefulness of the weapon, and a lot more to do with price. Then again, I don't know that I would expect you to know know that, much less think of that given your performance in this thread.

                    Carry on.
                    Dio perdona tante cose per un’opera di misericordia
                    God forgives many things for an act of mercy
                    Alessandro Manzoni

                    Knock it off. This board has enough problems without a dose of middle-age lechery.

                    pelagius

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69706

                      #385
                      Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                      I'm breaking my self imposed sanction and responding, but there is a simple answer to your question, and it's really just economical.

                      A cheap pump shotgun can be purchased for around $150-$200, a nicer one for around $300. The same can be said for cheap handguns.

                      A cheap AR-15 or other semiautomatic magazine fed rifle starts at around $650-$700 (probably more now that there is a shortage).

                      It has very little to do with the usefulness of the weapon, and a lot more to do with price. Then again, I don't know that I would expect you to know know that, much less think of that given your performance in this thread.

                      Carry on.
                      Exactly. My friend is shelling out around $950 per gun for the ones he is currently putting together.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • calicoug
                        Junior Member
                        • Oct 2011
                        • 1556

                        #386
                        Originally posted by pellegrino View Post
                        I'm breaking my self imposed sanction and responding, but there is a simple answer to your question, and it's really just economical.

                        A cheap pump shotgun can be purchased for around $150-$200, a nicer one for around $300. The same can be said for cheap handguns.

                        A cheap AR-15 or other semiautomatic magazine fed rifle starts at around $650-$700 (probably more now that there is a shortage).

                        It has very little to do with the usefulness of the weapon, and a lot more to do with price. Then again, I don't know that I would expect you to know know that, much less think of that given your performance in this thread.

                        Carry on.
                        Nope. Try again. There are millions of these guns in people's hands already. You're suggesting people don't use them for defense because they are expensive. Well- what about all those who already own them? Of all that group, you can locate one example from 1992? Face it. These just aren't commonly used for self-defense.

                        Comment

                        • calicoug
                          Junior Member
                          • Oct 2011
                          • 1556

                          #387
                          Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                          Exactly. My friend is shelling out around $950 per gun for the ones he is currently putting together.
                          But he is shelling it out. And he will have it. And he almost certainly won't use it for self- defense. Why? The economic hurdle will have already been jumped. It's because other guns are much more useful for that purpose.

                          Comment

                          • frank ryan
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 12373

                            #388
                            Originally posted by All-American View Post
                            Apologies, then.

                            Yes, I believe there should be restrictions, and that there are weapons that are and should be off limits.
                            I have come across a few people who take that extreme approach. I'm not in favor of a whole lot of gun control but I do feel strongly that every gun should be registered.

                            Comment

                            • All-American
                              Right, as Usual
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 15665

                              #389
                              Originally posted by frank ryan View Post
                              I have come across a few people who take that extreme approach. I'm not in favor of a whole lot of gun control but I do feel strongly that every gun should be registered.
                              I don't have an objection to gun registration, either.
                              τὸν ἥλιον ἀνατέλλοντα πλείονες ἢ δυόμενον προσκυνοῦσιν

                              Comment

                              • FMCoug
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 6825

                                #390
                                Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                                Exactly. My friend is shelling out around $950 per gun for the ones he is currently putting together.
                                They are selling for over 2K now.
                                "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

                                Comment

                                Working...