No announcement yet.

Guns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smr taking a lot of heat over a fairly common take after horrible events. I think smr and others are simply trying to makes sense of something you really can't make sense from. It's obvious he isn't trying to blame the situation on mental illness the same way the gun lobby does.

So what are the odds the angry dude had mental illness? Probably significant. It certainly checks a big box on the list from the DSM as you look at the criteria of several disorders. Was there other supporting criteria to support a diagnosis? That may well be part of the investigation. We often read about how troubled shooters after the fact.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post

Well if your point is that a normal person doesn't commit murder, then duh. But if your logic is that he did something horrible therefore he must be mentally ill, then once you go down that road, the whole debate becomes kind of meaningless.

He could just be an asshole with a temper. And maybe he took his life the next day because once the adrenaline cooked off, he realized that he just made a horrible mistake and his life was basically over. A pretty rational response if you ask me.
      my point is the bolded, but with regard to your "duh" comment, context is important. i wasn't trying to say anything earth shattering, rather this is my comment that started this entire brouhaha...

honestly, my biggest takeaway from that is that i hope i would avoid confrontation with strangers at all costs. I never know the mental state of the person I'm dealing with or how well armed he might be. yeah, so I got there first - I hope I would let him use boat ramp before me if it's that important to him. guns aren't going anywhere, nor are folks who are severely mentally ill. but I can control my own behavior and actions.
      iow, the fact that it's obvious was sorta my point. i was actually surprised when that idea was questioned. i've always just felt it was a big duh that people who murder other people or themselves have issues upstairs.
      Last edited by smokymountainrain; 08-10-2023, 04:07 PM.
      I'm like LeBron James.
      -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by Bo Diddley View Post
        smr taking a lot of heat over a fairly common take after horrible events. I think smr and others are simply trying to makes sense of something you really can't make sense from. It's obvious he isn't trying to blame the situation on mental illness the same way the gun lobby does.

So what are the odds the angry dude had mental illness? Probably significant. It certainly checks a big box on the list from the DSM as you look at the criteria of several disorders. Was there other supporting criteria to support a diagnosis? That may well be part of the investigation. We often read about how troubled shooters after the fact.
        thanks bo. i appreciate all viewpoints, but i didn't think the idea that murderers and people who commit suicide are mentally unstable, is controversial. sorta took me by surprise.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

thanks bo. i appreciate all viewpoints, but i didn't think the idea that murderers and people who commit suicide are mentally unstable, is controversial. sorta took me by surprise.
          It's not controversial. The link between alcohol, and suicide,homicide and violence is significant.

Comment

• Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post

If I knew I was probably going to spend the rest of doing hard time in prison, I would definitely kill myself, and I would do it before I was arrested, because it's a lot more difficult to do once you're in the system. I acknowledge that I'm a little unwell, but I don't think I'm mentally unstable.
            "The mind is not a boomerang. If you throw it too far it will not come back." ~ Tom McGuane

Comment

• This guy:

A Southern California judge accused of killing his wife texted his court clerk and bailiff admitting to the killing, prosecutors said on Friday as they charged him with murder and weapon possession.

The judge, Jeffrey Ferguson, 72, of Orange County Superior Court, was arrested on Aug. 3 after police officers found his wife, Sheryl Ferguson, 65, dead from a gunshot wound inside the couple’s home in Anaheim, Calif...

At dinner, Judge Ferguson mimicked shooting Mrs. Ferguson with his fingers, court documents said, and once home, Mrs. Ferguson said “words to the effect of: ‘why don’t you point a real gun at me?’” according to the documents.

Shortly after, Judge Ferguson pulled a pistol from an ankle holster and shot her in the chest at close range.

The Fergusons’ adult son, who had been with his parents that evening, called 911 and reported that his father had been drinking too much and shot his mother, according to court documents.
              47 guns and 26,000 rounds of ammo. I'm not sure what kind of crazy he qualifies for, but he certainly had something.

"Think of all the lives, saved by plastic knives".

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/11/u...mid=tw-nytimes
              "...you pointy-headed autopsy nerd. Do you think it's possible for you to post without using words like "hilarious," "absurd," "canard," and "truther"? Your bare assertions do not make it so. Maybe your reasoning is too stunted and your vocabulary is too limited to go without these epithets."
              "You are an intemperate, unscientific poster who makes light of very serious matters.”
              - SeattleUte

Comment

• Originally posted by Northwestcoug View Post
                This guy:

47 guns and 26,000 rounds of ammo. I'm not sure what kind of crazy he qualifies for, but he certainly had something.

"Think of all the lives, saved by plastic knives".

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/11/u...mid=tw-nytimes
                Te Occidere Possunt Sed Te Edere Non Possunt Nefas Est.

Comment

• https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/27/us/fl...ent/index.html

Florida teen charged with murder of his sister during a family fight over Christmas gifts, authorities say

The kids in Amurica are not alright.

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                    https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/27/us/fl...ent/index.html

Florida teen charged with murder of his sister during a family fight over Christmas gifts, authorities say

The kids in Amurica is not alright.
                    I saw that elsewhere. It's nothing new, really. I mean just go back and look and Cain & Able. Guns are not the answer. Hate is not the answer.

Peace and love still has the power, don't wait until your final hour to believe. --T. Shaw

Comment

• Originally posted by tooblue View Post
                      https://www.cnn.com/2023/12/27/us/fl...ent/index.html

The kids in Amurica are not alright.
                      yikes what a sad and horrific story.
                      I'm like LeBron James.
                      -mpfunk

Comment

• What the hell?
                        "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                        "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                        "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

Comment

• This is a heart breaking story I just heard about today. 10 year shot dead while riding his bike by another 10 year old in Sacramento.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...lly-rcna132449

240101-boy-shot-keith-frierson-mn-1000-8b42b0.jpg

The kid got a stolen gun from his father's car. The father will be charged.

Comment

Working...
                          X