The Official Non-Presidential Vote Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Pheidippides
    Liberal Feminazi
    • Nov 2008
    • 14759

    #1

    The Official Non-Presidential Vote Thread

    So, in an effort to be an informed voter I just spent the last 2.5 hours researching all the kabillion (seriously, like seventy separate elections) candidates for railroad commissioner, judge, justice of the peace, park commissioner, dog catcher, and honorary trashman that are going to show up on my ballot tomorrow. I actually know a former judge from the area and sought his input as well.

    The first few were pretty easy because one candidate or the other (usually, but not always, the Democrat) is ridiculously underqualified or otherwise looks to be a nut job. But after that it got tough. After thorough review, I am choosing candidates (this is mostly for the judges) based on the following criteria:

    1. How good I think the law school was (South Texas is apparently a judicial factory)

    2. Website design skills or ability to contract for the same

    3. Pre-judicial law experience (tort lawyers need not apply)

    4. Undergrad degree (preference given for things that require math or chemistry)

    5. Prominent tea party association is a strong negative

    6. Anybody that has a picture with, or endorsement from, Sarah Palin is automatically disqualified from consideration.

    After that it's all a crapshoot. I had to send myself an email to use as a cheat sheet in the voting booth tomorrow morning. The end result is that (based on the judges) that I skew slightly but only slightly republican.
    Awesomeness now has a name. Let me introduce myself.
  • San Juan Sun
    Kicked to the curb
    • Dec 2009
    • 9214

    #2
    My absentee ballot for Michigan had several measures that would allow various public employees to to organize and collectively bargain. I voted no.
    "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

    - Ty Cobb

    Comment

    • Surfah
      Where's Wallace?
      • Nov 2008
      • 33726

      #3
      My ballot this year was awesome. President. Senator. Congressman. And two amendments to the VA constitution. I don't understand how people were spending 5 minutes in the booth. It literally took me 20 seconds to fill out my ballot and submit. Even the election official commented how fast I was.
      "Nobody listens to Turtle."
      -Turtle
      sigpic

      Comment

      • Mormon Red Death
        BYU Delenda Est
        • Nov 2008
        • 8077

        #4
        Originally posted by San Juan Sun View Post
        My absentee ballot for Michigan had several measures that would allow various public employees to to organize and collectively bargain. I voted no.
        thank you!
        "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

        "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

        Comment

        • San Juan Sun
          Kicked to the curb
          • Dec 2009
          • 9214

          #5
          Originally posted by Mormon Red Death View Post
          thank you!
          "Sure, I fought. I had to fight all my life just to survive. They were all against me. Tried every dirty trick to cut me down, but I beat the bastards and left them in the ditch."

          - Ty Cobb

          Comment

          • Moliere
            One man.....one pie
            • Oct 2009
            • 27899

            #6
            Originally posted by nikuman View Post
            So, in an effort to be an informed voter I just spent the last 2.5 hours researching all the kabillion (seriously, like seventy separate elections) candidates for railroad commissioner, judge, justice of the peace, park commissioner, dog catcher, and honorary trashman that are going to show up on my ballot tomorrow. I actually know a former judge from the area and sought his input as well.

            The first few were pretty easy because one candidate or the other (usually, but not always, the Democrat) is ridiculously underqualified or otherwise looks to be a nut job. But after that it got tough. After thorough review, I am choosing candidates (this is mostly for the judges) based on the following criteria:

            1. How good I think the law school was (South Texas is apparently a judicial factory)

            2. Website design skills or ability to contract for the same

            3. Pre-judicial law experience (tort lawyers need not apply)

            4. Undergrad degree (preference given for things that require math or chemistry)

            5. Prominent tea party association is a strong negative

            6. Anybody that has a picture with, or endorsement from, Sarah Palin is automatically disqualified from consideration.

            After that it's all a crapshoot. I had to send myself an email to use as a cheat sheet in the voting booth tomorrow morning. The end result is that (based on the judges) that I skew slightly but only slightly republican.
            I'm much less scientific with judges, which is saying something. My criteria goes (in this order):

            1. I vote first for any female.

            2. I then vote for the craziest sounding name.

            3. I then vote for any name that reminds me of great BYU athletes.

            If none of those apply, I pick the person at the bottom.
            "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

            Comment

            • Mormon Red Death
              BYU Delenda Est
              • Nov 2008
              • 8077

              #7
              Originally posted by Moliere View Post
              I'm much less scientific with judges, which is saying something. My criteria goes (in this order):

              1. I vote first for any female.

              2. I then vote for the craziest sounding name.

              3. I then vote for any name that reminds me of great BYU athletes.

              If none of those apply, I pick the person at the bottom.
              I vote the testosterone first.
              "Be a philosopher. A man can compromise to gain a point. It has become apparent that a man can, within limits, follow his inclinations within the arms of the Church if he does so discreetly." - The Walking Drum

              "And here’s what life comes down to—not how many years you live, but how many of those years are filled with bullshit that doesn’t amount to anything to satisfy the requirements of some dickhead you’ll never get the pleasure of punching in the face." – Adam Carolla

              Comment

              • Coach McGuirk
                1
                • Nov 2008
                • 12109

                #8
                is it bad that I almost always vote to replace judges?

                Comment

                • Jarid in Cedar
                  CS Institutional Memory
                  • Jun 2009
                  • 13234

                  #9
                  Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                  is it bad that I almost always vote to replace judges?
                  Nope. I do the same. Especially if they have been in longer than 6 years.
                  "The first thing I learned upon becoming a head coach after fifteen years as an assistant was the enormous difference between making a suggestion and making a decision."

                  "They talk about the economy this year. Hey, my hairline is in recession, my waistline is in inflation. Altogether, I'm in a depression."

                  "I like to bike. I could beat Lance Armstrong, only because he couldn't pass me if he was behind me."

                  -Rick Majerus

                  Comment

                  • NorthShoreCoug
                    Junior Member
                    • Mar 2009
                    • 327

                    #10
                    I try to study up and be at least somewhat informed, but if there is a race I know little to nothing about, I don't vote in that race. Why add some random element to a race where two (or more) people have spent a lot of effort - it seems to almost make fun of their effort.

                    Let the people who've taken the time to get informed make the decision.

                    Comment

                    • The_Douger
                      Athletic Supporter
                      • Jun 2012
                      • 5413

                      #11
                      Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
                      is it bad that I almost always vote to replace judges?
                      I do that every time.

                      It has to do with that my grandfather said to vote the judges out.
                      Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

                      Comment

                      • Indy Coug
                        Heartless Bastard
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 18747

                        #12
                        I voted out all 4 judges on the state Supreme Court.
                        Everything in life is an approximation.

                        http://twitter.com/CougarStats

                        Comment

                        • Clark Addison
                          Senior Member
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 10316

                          #13
                          I skipped several judges and small contests that I knew nothing about.

                          I voted against one guy who's wife is LDS, but stopped coming to church because he didn't like it. You don't mess with the Elders of Israel.

                          I tend to vote for Republicans for many local offices, but Democrats for school boards.

                          Comment

                          • wuapinmon
                            Soul Plumber
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 30711

                            #14
                            I am voting No against the South Carolina proposed Amendment to make the Lt. Governor and Governor a "ticket" together. I like that the Lt. Gov. has to be elected too, and can be from a different party.
                            "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                            The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                            Comment

                            • Eddie
                              Senior Member
                              • Apr 2009
                              • 8098

                              #15
                              Judges: Unless there is one I really really like for one reason or another, I vote them out. I figure turnover is good, but has a judge ever actually been voted out in Utah? One maybe?

                              Local Elections: I like to do what I can to find out about the local folks running. Truth be told - as I live in Davis County and expect the Republican to win every race, I tend to do all of my studying for the primary election. Then today, unless I REALLY like the Republican running, I'll vote for the Democrat. I know the Republican will win - but I want him/her to know that not everyone loves them or voted for them.

                              Propositions/Amendments: I tend to read the voter's guide on these. Quite often both the Dem's and Rep's agree and want them passed - and I usually vote that way. Others I take on a case by case basis and decide who's argument I like best.

                              There have been times I haven't done my homework for a certain seat or proposition. Quite often if I don't know anything about either candidate I'll skip that seat entirely. I don't want to inadvertently be the person who gets a prick elected. And like Northshore - I figure I'll let the people who have studied it out and know the candidates make the decision. I tell myself that I'm being responsible when I do that, but I know it would be more responsible to have prepared myself.

                              Comment

                              Working...