The Space Jump

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • Coach McGuirk
    1
    • Nov 2008
    • 12109

    #16
    Originally posted by Color Me Badd Fan View Post
    The fact that a human, without mechanical propulsion, could travel faster than the speed of light is amazing.
    and impossible!

    Comment

    • LiveCoug
      LA Ute loves me
      • Nov 2008
      • 18489

      #17
      Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
      and impossible!


      Comment

      • UtahDan
        *
        • Nov 2008
        • 14496

        #18
        I finally just watched this. All I could think was "that is one seriously crazy m*#$# f!@!@."

        Comment

        • Color Me Badd Fan
          Senior Member
          • Jan 2009
          • 12519

          #19
          Originally posted by Coach McGuirk View Post
          and impossible!
          Not according to Andrea Mitchell!
          Part of it is based on academic grounds. Among major conferences, the Pac-10 is the best academically, largely because of Stanford, Cal and UCLA. “Colorado is on a par with Oregon,” he said. “Utah isn’t even in the picture.”

          Comment

          • Sullyute
            a day late/a dollar short
            • Jul 2010
            • 3308

            #20
            As a person who has never skydived, can someone please tell me, outside of the extreme height, what makes this so special? Couldn't this have been performed by almost any normal skydiver with the money and desire to do it? Also what happened to the head cam, it just looked like a dot falling thru the sky? It was a little anti-climatic.
            "Friendship is the grand fundamental principle of Mormonism" - Joseph Smith Jr.

            Comment

            • The_Douger
              Athletic Supporter
              • Jun 2012
              • 5413

              #21
              I don't skydive either, but the extreme speeds he reached and having to jump in a special suit had something to do with it.
              Will donate kidney for B12 membership.

              Comment

              • dabrockster
                Senior Member
                • Aug 2009
                • 10963

                #22


                Comment

                • wuapinmon
                  Soul Plumber
                  • Dec 2008
                  • 30711

                  #23
                  Someone on facebook said that this guy has "balls of unobtainium."
                  "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
                  The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

                  Comment

                  • Applejack
                    Senior Member
                    • Aug 2012
                    • 3813

                    #24
                    I was flying home from the UCLA/Utah game and the pilot announced that we were in Somewhere, New Mexico and if we would merely look out the left window we would see the daredevil's balloon. The lady in the window wouldn't open the shade. Too busy reading Skymall, she said.

                    Comment

                    • Moliere
                      One man.....one pie
                      • Oct 2009
                      • 27898

                      #25
                      This helmet cam video was pretty good. It must have been crazy to not only see the curvature of the earth, but to basically see the whole earth as he fell.

                      http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_c2#...from-space.hln
                      "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                      Comment

                      • snowcat
                        Senior Member
                        • Jan 2009
                        • 1348

                        #26
                        Originally posted by LiveCoug View Post


                        MSNBC - lol
                        One of the grandest benefits of the enlightenment was the realization that our moral sense must be based on the welfare of living individuals, not on their immortal souls. Honest and passionate folks can strongly disagree regarding spiritual matters, so it's imperative that we not allow such considerations to infringe on the real happiness of real people.

                        Woot

                        I believe religion has much inherent good and has born many good fruits.
                        SU

                        Comment

                        • New Mexican Disaster
                          Suomalainen
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4549

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Applejack View Post
                          I was flying home from the UCLA/Utah game and the pilot announced that we were in Somewhere, New Mexico and if we would merely look out the left window we would see the daredevil's balloon. The lady in the window wouldn't open the shade. Too busy reading Skymall, she said.
                          Roswell, New Mexico. I saw Felix at Wal-Mart a few days before the jump and spoke to him for a minute. He seemed...down to earth.

                          Comment

                          • il Padrino Ute
                            Junior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 19161

                            #28
                            Originally posted by New Mexican Disaster View Post
                            Roswell, New Mexico. I saw Felix at Wal-Mart a few days before the jump and spoke to him for a minute. He seemed...down to earth.


                            He'll be here all week, folks.
                            "Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill


                            "I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader

                            Comment

                            • U-Ute
                              Non member
                              • Aug 2009
                              • 2071

                              #29
                              Originally posted by The_Douger View Post
                              I don't skydive either, but the extreme speeds he reached and having to jump in a special suit had something to do with it.
                              Yeah, the extreme speeds are something I can't even fathom. The forces as he went through the atmosphere must've been incredible. Not to mention the friction on the suit. I don't know how you keep control at those speeds. I think I saw a snippet where he was out of control at one point. In some sort of flat spin or something. I doubt there is any way you could pull your chute properly like that.

                              Comment

                              • Moliere
                                One man.....one pie
                                • Oct 2009
                                • 27898

                                #30
                                Originally posted by U-Ute View Post
                                Yeah, the extreme speeds are something I can't even fathom. The forces as he went through the atmosphere must've been incredible. Not to mention the friction on the suit. I don't know how you keep control at those speeds. I think I saw a snippet where he was out of control at one point. In some sort of flat spin or something. I doubt there is any way you could pull your chute properly like that.
                                I read somewhere that the spinning was actually due to the thin air and lack of ability to control himself. Once he got lower he could then use the friction to right himself. Not sure if that is true, but seemed like a plausible explanation for the spinning.
                                "Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf

                                Comment

                                Working...