Swine Flu Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #16
    Originally posted by byu71 View Post
    I didn't catch the details, but some Jewish organization, it might be Israel, objects to the term Swine Flew.


    ....
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

    Comment

    • CardiacCoug
      вот так штука
      • Nov 2008
      • 11013

      #17
      Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
      This is what happened in 1918:

      The blue tint was caused by lack of oxygen due to tissue in the lungs hardening. Once you were blue, you knew you had a few hours to live. The virus didn't discriminate on age. Young healthy people were just as likely to die.
      These days, this is the stage when these patients would get put on a ventilator in an ICU and have a pretty decent chance at survival with good supportive care, antiviral meds, and antibiotics for the subsequent bacterial superinfection.

      This country has a ton of ICUs and ventilators, but they're mostly being used on octogenarians right now. During an honest-to-goodness epidemic, we would possibly have to use all those resources on younger folks (less than 70?) with a good chance at survival. This country has really never had to do something like that -- it would be tough for many Americans to have to come up against health care rationing for the first time. In the past, we have never denied ventilators or ICUs to dying people.

      Comment

      • wuapinmon
        Soul Plumber
        • Dec 2008
        • 30711

        #18
        From the CDC's webpage:
        To this end, CDC has issued a number of interim guidance documents in the past 24 hours. In addition, CDC's Division of the Strategic National Stockpile (SNS) is releasing one-quarter of its antiviral drugs, personal protective equipment, and respiratory protection devices to help states respond to the outbreak. Laboratory testing has found the swine influenza A (H1N1) virus susceptible to the prescription antiviral drugs oseltamivir and zanamivir.
        "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
        The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

        Comment

        • FMCoug
          Senior Member
          • Nov 2008
          • 6825

          #19
          Well I have felt like crap the last couple of days with flu-like symptoms ... nice knowing you all.

          Seriously, should I go to the doc?
          "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

          Comment

          • byu71
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 22070

            #20
            Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
            Well I have felt like crap the last couple of days with flu-like symptoms ... nice knowing you all.

            Seriously, should I go to the doc?
            Heck yes. Don't you live in Utah County? I have children and grandchildren down there. Lock yourself up in your basement until the all clear is given.

            Comment

            • FMCoug
              Senior Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 6825

              #21
              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
              Heck yes. Don't you live in Utah County? I have children and grandchildren down there. Lock yourself up in your basement until the all clear is given.
              You sound like my boss. He made me go home today and said don't come back until I feel better.
              "It's true that everything happens for a reason. Just remember that sometimes that reason is that you did something really, really, stupid."

              Comment

              • FN Phat
                I ♥ gateway sex
                • Feb 2009
                • 8691

                #22
                Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                You sound like my boss. He made me go home today and said don't come back until I feel better.
                Sounds like a good manager.
                I'm your huckleberry.


                "I love pulling the bone. Really though, what guy doesn't?" - CJF

                Comment

                • CardiacCoug
                  вот так штука
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 11013

                  #23
                  Originally posted by FMCoug View Post
                  Well I have felt like crap the last couple of days with flu-like symptoms ... nice knowing you all.

                  Seriously, should I go to the doc?
                  Do you have a cough and a fever of at least 101.0?

                  If you don't have both of those, you probably don't have influenza.

                  Comment

                  • BlueHair
                    Boom Bitches!!!
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 2894

                    #24
                    I suspect this will turn out just like SARS and the Bird Flu.
                    Just try it once. One beer or one cigarette or one porno movie won't hurt. - Dallin H. Oaks

                    Comment

                    • Babs
                      Not a Lawyer
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 17128

                      #25
                      Originally posted by BlueHair View Post
                      I suspect this will turn out just like SARS and the Bird Flu.
                      me too!

                      Comment

                      • Surfah
                        Where's Wallace?
                        • Nov 2008
                        • 33726

                        #26
                        Hey I'm in NYC. It's all over the news here. Speaking of which, I saw designer surgical masks today. A bunch of Asians were wearing Burberry inspired masks over the faces walking through Times Square. Why don't I think of these things?
                        "Nobody listens to Turtle."
                        -Turtle
                        sigpic

                        Comment

                        • BlueHair
                          Boom Bitches!!!
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 2894

                          #27
                          Originally posted by Surfah View Post
                          Hey I'm in NYC. It's all over the news here. Speaking of which, I saw designer surgical masks today. A bunch of Asians were wearing Burberry inspired masks over the faces walking through Times Square. Why don't I think of these things?
                          Wow. If they are scared enough to wear a mask, they should stay home instead of going to a crowded tourist attraction.
                          Just try it once. One beer or one cigarette or one porno movie won't hurt. - Dallin H. Oaks

                          Comment

                          • SteelBlue
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 8189

                            #28
                            Just checking in. I am fine. Just a really bad cough and a high fever.

                            Comment

                            • CJF
                              Senior Member
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 8497

                              #29
                              I have a group of 10 employees who won a company trip to Mexico. They got back last week and three of them have had a horrible flu since. One missed the entire week last week and again today. Two others I sent home today and won't let them back until they have an all clear note from their doctor. I'm probably over reacting, but I'm not taking any chances.
                              A man who views the world the same at fifty as he did at twenty has wasted thirty years of his life. - Mohammad Ali

                              Comment

                              • SteelBlue
                                Senior Member
                                • Nov 2008
                                • 8189

                                #30
                                Confirmed case in Sacramento County. It's only 2 hours away now. Oh the humanity.

                                Comment

                                Working...