Swine Flu Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • wuapinmon
    Soul Plumber
    • Dec 2008
    • 30711

    #1

    Swine Flu Thread

    250,000 to 500,000 people die each year from seasonal human flu.
    "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
    The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon
  • TripletDaddy
    sweet triple
    • Nov 2008
    • 58186

    #2
    Is this the thread where we should post if we are about to die of the flu?
    Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

    sigpic

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #3
      Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Post
      Is this the thread where we should post if we are about to die of the flu?
      Only if you post disgusting photos of your flu phlegm.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • YOhio
        Hipster Mode
        • Nov 2008
        • 26165

        #4
        Holding up well here. I'll keep everyone updated.

        Comment

        • landpoke
          Never once baby snatched
          • Nov 2008
          • 4183

          #5
          We are currently huddled in a windowless interior room sealed with plastic sheeting and duct tape. We've laid in about 20 cases of Beanie Weenies and a pallet of Cheetos and are confident that we'll survive the impending swine flu apocalypse.

          BTW, doctorcoug was chastising posters over on cougarboard for being too flip about the situation. For those of you not already in full panic mode, I believe now would be the time to start.
          There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

          Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

          Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
          Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
          …
          Tomorrow is Saturday
          And Sunday comes afterwards

          Comment

          • Jeff Lebowski
            Corporate lackey for Jesus
            • Nov 2008
            • 69694

            #6
            Coincidentally, I am about 2/3 of the way though this book on the 1918 pandemic:

            http://www.amazon.com/Great-Influenz...0846171&sr=8-1

            I am amazed at how rapidly it spread in 1918 and how lethal it was. Yes, I am worried.
            "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
            "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
            "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

            Comment

            • wuapinmon
              Soul Plumber
              • Dec 2008
              • 30711

              #7
              I wonder if rentals and purchases of this movie will tick up....

              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

              Comment

              • RC Vikings
                Known Heterosexual
                • Nov 2008
                • 8789

                #8
                How do you tell when you have swine flu and just regular flu?

                Comment

                • TripletDaddy
                  sweet triple
                  • Nov 2008
                  • 58186

                  #9
                  Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                  How do you tell when you have swine flu and just regular flu?
                  With the swine flu, your phlegm smells like bacon. yum!
                  Fitter. Happier. More Productive.

                  sigpic

                  Comment

                  • landpoke
                    Never once baby snatched
                    • Nov 2008
                    • 4183

                    #10
                    Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                    How do you tell when you have swine flu and just regular flu?
                    If you're achy and feverish it's regular flu. If you're dead it's swine flu.
                    There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                    Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                    Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                    Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                    …
                    Tomorrow is Saturday
                    And Sunday comes afterwards

                    Comment

                    • Jeff Lebowski
                      Corporate lackey for Jesus
                      • Nov 2008
                      • 69694

                      #11
                      Originally posted by RC Vikings View Post
                      How do you tell when you have swine flu and just regular flu?
                      This is what happened in 1918:

                      People without symptoms could be stricken suddenly and within hours be too weak to walk; many died the next day. Symptoms included a blue tint to the face and coughing up blood caused by severe obstruction of the lungs. In some cases, the virus caused an uncontrollable hemorrhaging that filled the lungs, and patients drowned in their body fluids (pneumonia). In others, the flu caused frequent loss of bowel control and the victim would die from losing critical intestinal lining and blood loss
                      The blue tint was caused by lack of oxygen due to tissue in the lungs hardening. Once you were blue, you knew you had a few hours to live. The virus didn't discriminate on age. Young healthy people were just as likely to die.
                      "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                      "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                      "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                      Comment

                      • cowboy
                        Homer Weems
                        • Dec 2008
                        • 5740

                        #12
                        Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
                        Coincidentally, I am about 2/3 of the way though this book on the 1918 pandemic:

                        http://www.amazon.com/Great-Influenz...0846171&sr=8-1

                        I am amazed at how rapidly it spread in 1918 and how lethal it was. Yes, I am worried.
                        I'm flying to Florida tomorrow. Nothing like 5 hours in a crowded plane to catch and incubate a virus.
                        sigpic
                        "Outlined against a blue, gray
                        October sky the Four Horsemen rode again"
                        Grantland Rice, 1924

                        Comment

                        • landpoke
                          Never once baby snatched
                          • Nov 2008
                          • 4183

                          #13
                          Originally posted by cowboy View Post
                          I'm flying to Florida tomorrow. Nothing like 5 hours in a crowded plane to catch and incubate a virus.
                          It was nice knowing you.
                          There's no such thing as luck, only drunken invincibility. Make it happen.

                          Tila Tequila and Juggalos, America’s saddest punchline since the South.

                          Yesterday was Thursday, Thursday
                          Today is Friday, Friday (Partyin’)
                          …
                          Tomorrow is Saturday
                          And Sunday comes afterwards

                          Comment

                          • byu71
                            Senior Member
                            • Nov 2008
                            • 22070

                            #14
                            I didn't catch the details, but some Jewish organization, it might be Israel, objects to the term Swine Flew. They say it is not only offensive to Jews, but to Muslims. The commentator said they want it called the Mexican flu.

                            Comment

                            • JohnnyLingo
                              La Naranja
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 3976

                              #15
                              Originally posted by byu71 View Post
                              I didn't catch the details, but some Jewish organization, it might be Israel, objects to the term Swine Flew. They say it is not only offensive to Jews, but to Muslims. The commentator said they want it called the Mexican flu.
                              What? It's like Mormons protesting a disease being named the Beer Flu. Makes no sense.

                              Comment

                              Working...