Trayvon Martin

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • smokymountainrain
    Impressive Member
    • Nov 2008
    • 22593

    #1501
    Originally posted by Jacob View Post
    They each had a right to roam the neighborhood on foot. Whoever started fighting was in the wrong And was most likely the proximate cause of the death.
    Jacob, in Zimmerman's mind, Martin was a potential criminal. That is why he should have stayed in his truck. He had a gun and knew there was a potential criminal near him. If you are going to put yourself in a situation where a criminal could confront you, there is a real possibility you will have to use your gun. Again, this is why he should have stayed in his truck - to avoid that possibility.
    I'm like LeBron James.
    -mpfunk

    Comment

    • Jacob
      Junior Member
      • Oct 2009
      • 6801

      #1502
      Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
      Jacob, in Zimmerman's mind, Martin was a potential criminal. That is why he should have stayed in his truck. He had a gun and knew there was a potential criminal near him. If you are going to put yourself in a situation where a criminal could confront you, there is a real possibility you will have to use your gun. Again, this is why he should have stayed in his truck - to avoid that possibility.
      Obviously, you and I and millions of Americans disagree on this point. I shouldn't have thought all should agree on this simple point.

      Comment

      • smokymountainrain
        Impressive Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 22593

        #1503
        Originally posted by Jacob View Post
        Obviously, you and I and millions of Americans disagree on this point. I shouldn't have thought all should agree on this simple point.
        Yes, that is true.
        I'm like LeBron James.
        -mpfunk

        Comment

        • Shaka
          Senior Member
          • Dec 2008
          • 10449

          #1504
          Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
          If you are going to put yourself in a situation where a criminal could confront you, there is a real possibility you will have to use your gun. Again, this is why he should have stayed in his truck - to avoid that possibility.
          Good thinking. The next time I encounter a possible criminal I'll be sure to be a puss out in your honor.

          Comment

          • Vic Vega
            Junior Member
            • Jun 2013
            • 552

            #1505
            Sounds like Zimmerman helped pull some people out of an overturned car, he is in Dallas, still packing heat, and he now gets the full TMZ treatment.

            This story takes paragraphs to do what I did in one awesome run on sentence:

            Comment

            • smokymountainrain
              Impressive Member
              • Nov 2008
              • 22593

              #1506
              Originally posted by Shaka View Post
              Good thinking. The next time I encounter a possible criminal I'll be sure to be a puss out in your honor.
              Because having a gun and knowing you can always shoot the guy if you get your ass handed to you is the tough move. Got it.
              I'm like LeBron James.
              -mpfunk

              Comment

              • Vic Vega
                Junior Member
                • Jun 2013
                • 552

                #1507
                Originally posted by smokymountainrain View Post
                Because having a gun and knowing you can always shoot the guy if you get your ass handed to you is the tough move. Got it.
                I learned something different.

                Even if I am a better fighter, it is not a good idea to fight. If a gun comes out, things change. Therefore, it's never smart to fight people. Maybe everyone should not try to act like a tough guy. Trayvon did not deserve to die for being a tough guy and making a teenager mistake, but if he kept his cool he would be alive. If you want to fight, you can kill someone by mistake, or get killed. He now gets to live, or in this case not live, with his choice. This is true even if you don't believe the Zimmerman story.

                Comment

                • Uncle Ted
                  The Big 12 money shot.
                  • Apr 2010
                  • 28853

                  #1508
                  Originally posted by Vic Vega View Post
                  Sounds like Zimmerman helped pull some people out of an overturned car, he is in Dallas, still packing heat, and he now gets the full TMZ treatment.

                  This story takes paragraphs to do what I did in one awesome run on sentence:
                  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/...ticle13543316/
                  The officer then tells him, “I’m going to go back (to check his license), and why don’t you slow down a little bit for me. We’ll let you off with a warning.”
                  [...]
                  After returning Zimmerman’s driver’s license, the officer says, “All right, sir. Slow down.” He wishes Zimmerman a safe trip.
                  You have to love those good ole boy Dallas area cops asking folks to slow down a little bit.
                  "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                  "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                  "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                  GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                  Comment

                  • Maximus
                    Senior Member
                    • Sep 2009
                    • 6021

                    #1509
                    Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                    Good thinking. The next time I encounter a possible criminal I'll be sure to be a puss out in your honor.
                    Yes, the smart thing to do is follow any suspected criminal on foot. you are a genius.

                    Comment

                    • dabrockster
                      Senior Member
                      • Aug 2009
                      • 10947

                      #1510
                      Originally posted by Uncle Ted View Post
                      You have to love those good ole boy Dallas area cops asking folks to slow down a little bit.
                      Article from "Mail Online" listed on Drudge: If you listen to the call the office announces the license plate number for all to hear. Now, I do not know how public that information is but the news organization who got this and released it should of made that inaudible to hear.. Now everyone in the world knows what vehicle he drives and what his license plate number is...

                      Poor form. imo.
                      Last edited by dabrockster; 08-01-2013, 06:02 AM.

                      Comment

                      • Uncle Ted
                        The Big 12 money shot.
                        • Apr 2010
                        • 28853

                        #1511
                        Originally posted by dabrockster View Post
                        Article from "The Guardian" listed on Drudge: If you listen to the call the office announces the license plate number for all to hear. Now, I do not know how public that information is but the news organization who got this and released it should of made that inaudible to hear.. Now everyone in the world knows what vehicle he drives and what his license plate number is...

                        Poor form. imo.
                        That will teach him to speed.
                        "If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
                        "I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
                        "Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
                        GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

                        Comment

                        • Eddie
                          Senior Member
                          • Apr 2009
                          • 8098

                          #1512
                          I've kind of been asking myself off and on if Zimmerman is more safe or less safe if folks know he is armed again.

                          On the one hand - I'm guessing it would discourage those who would want to confront him verbally. It would likely also discourage anyone who wants to beat him or even come at him with some lesser weapon - say a knife or club.

                          But if there really are people out there hoping to exact revenge and who truly believe that Zimmerman was stalking and intended to shoot Martin all along - does this increase the chances of them getting a gun and attempting to kill him? Believing that he is back out in the community and looking to kill more Black youth?

                          Also - if there was someone who just wanted to confront him verbally, do they now fear that they better be armed if they are going to do so? And do they fear that Zimmerman is on edge, so they better be prepared to draw and fire before he does?

                          I guess there is also the question of how unsafe are people around Zimmerman now? If he has received what he views to be credible death threats and is then approached by angry people - how much more quickly is he going to feel like his life is in danger as compared to prior to all of these events. How likely is he to feel like someone suspicious who is approaching him is armed and planning to kill him - so he needs to get the jump on them. I wouldn't be sticking my hand inside my jacket while walking by George Zimmerman any time soon. I fear that the tragedy of this whole story may not yet be over.

                          Comment

                          • Shaka
                            Senior Member
                            • Dec 2008
                            • 10449

                            #1513
                            If I were Zimmerman I'd be packing.

                            Comment

                            • Jeff Lebowski
                              Corporate lackey for Jesus
                              • Nov 2008
                              • 69703

                              #1514
                              Originally posted by Shaka View Post
                              If I were Zimmerman I'd be packing.
                              Wait a minute. I thought you were going to puss out.
                              "There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
                              "It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
                              "Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster

                              Comment

                              • Shaka
                                Senior Member
                                • Dec 2008
                                • 10449

                                #1515
                                I'm waffling.

                                Comment

                                Working...