Originally posted by Jacob
View Post
Important Prop. 8 Ruling Today
Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
-
N.R. Smith dissented. You can read the whole opinion and dissent here:
Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.
Dig your own grave, and save!
"The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American
"I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
-
Out of curiosity, what is CUF's 'Unofficially Official Position' (majority position) on gay marriage and Prop 8? I suspect there is a diversity of opinions, and will admit that my own stance has evolved greatly over time.
Comment
-
-
-
128 pages?!? Here is the short version...Originally posted by falafel View PostN.R. Smith dissented. You can read the whole opinion and dissent here:
http://documents.latimes.com/proposi...onstitutional/
"If there is one thing I am, it's always right." -Ted Nugent.
"I honestly believe saying someone is a smart lawyer is damning with faint praise. The smartest people become engineers and scientists." -SU.
"Yet I still see wisdom in that which Uncle Ted posts." -creek.
GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!
Comment
-
Originally posted by Sleeping in EQ View PostRandy Smith takes the bullet for Mitt Romney.
"Socialism is a philosophy of failure, the creed of ignorance and the gospel of envy; its inherent virtue is the equal sharing of misery." - Winston Churchill
"I only know what I hear on the news." - Dear Leader
Comment
-
I guess this all comes down to what Justice Kennedy will do.If we disagree on something, it's because you're wrong.
"Somebody needs to kill my trial attorney." — Last words of George Harris, executed in Missouri on Sept. 13, 2000.
"Nothing is too good to be true, nothing is too good to last, nothing is too wonderful to happen." - Florence Scoville Shinn
Comment
-
Sounds like there will be more appeals and all 11 (or is it 9?) on the court will hear the case now...(or whenever they get around to it)."They're good. They've always been good" - David Shaw.
Well, because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned, or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Comment
-
Awesome. So far it quotes Groucho Marx and mentions a Jumbotron.Originally posted by falafel View PostN.R. Smith dissented. You can read the whole opinion and dissent here:
http://documents.latimes.com/proposi...onstitutional/
So as I understand it from glancing over the ruling, Prop 8 established 'domestic partnerships' as being the full legal equivalent of 'marriage', but only lacking the word 'marriage'. Is this correct? This whole kerfluffle is simply over the use of the word 'marriage', when it is identical in every other way?
Comment
-
Originally posted by NorthwestUteFan View PostAwesome. So far it quotes Groucho Marx and mentions a Jumbotron.
So as I understand it from glancing over the ruling, Prop 8 established 'domestic partnerships' as being the full legal equivalent of 'marriage', but only lacking the word 'marriage'. Is this correct? This whole kerfluffle is simply over the use of the word 'marriage', when it is identical in every other way?
No, prop 8 removed marriage rights for same-sex couples, which had been granted recently. The ruling states that same-sex couples already had all rights except the marriage label so the only thing that prop 8 did is remove the right to that label for no other reason than that they are same-sex. Hence discriminatory."There is no creature more arrogant than a self-righteous libertarian on the web, am I right? Those folks are just intolerable."
"It's no secret that the great American pastime is no longer baseball. Now it's sanctimony." -- Guy Periwinkle, The Nix.
"Juilliardk N I ibuprofen Hyu I U unhurt u" - creekster
Comment
-
I really don't understand how appeals work. Is there a link somewhere so I can learn about this process without having to sort through all the legalese? How does it escalate up the appeals ladder? I am being serious btw.
Thinking about it all is pretty interesting to me. We have a popular vote where the majority decides one thing. The minority vote appeals and one judge overturns the majority vote. Which then gets appealed and now 3 judges decide? And now there will be another appeal where more judges decide if the previous ruling of the previous ruling of the previous ruling is valid?Last edited by Surfah; 02-07-2012, 12:01 PM."Nobody listens to Turtle."-Turtlesigpic
Comment
-
It's time to get this to the SCOTUS and get this over with once and for all.
Comment
-
I don't have time to read the 128-page opinion at the moment, but I note that Judge Smith concurred in part and dissented in part. He agreed with the majority that "the Motion to Vacate the Judgment" should be denied.
Comment
-
Wait, I thought Prop 8 was over actual rights, not just a label for a contractual relationship. What was the whole hullabaloo over hospital visitation rights, adoption rights, etc.?Originally posted by Jeff Lebowski View Post
No, prop 8 removed marriage rights for same-sex couples, which had been granted recently. The ruling states that same-sex couples already had all rights except the marriage label so the only thing that prop 8 did is remove the right to that label for no other reason than that they are same-sex. Hence discriminatory."Discipleship is not a spectator sport. We cannot expect to experience the blessing of faith by standing inactive on the sidelines any more than we can experience the benefits of health by sitting on a sofa watching sporting events on television and giving advice to the athletes. And yet for some, “spectator discipleship” is a preferred if not primary way of worshipping." -Pres. Uchtdorf
Comment
Comment