How strange it is to read things like this from an Ayatollah. This is awful!
The horrible backlask of Obama's bow to Islam
Collapse
X
-
The horrible backlask of Obama's bow to Islam
How strange it is to read things like this from an Ayatollah. This is awful!Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpicTags: None
-
Yea, guys like Hannity and Rush and the others ought to shut the hell up. They should follow Obama's example. They should say, "I wouldn't take this approach, I don't think it will work, but let's see. Maybe it will work and we will all be glad he did.Originally posted by TripletDaddy View Posthttp://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/L8727099.htm
How strange it is to read things like this from an Ayatollah. This is awful!
Then a year from now and all we have gotten is talk and talk and yet no progress except progress in what Iran wants to do, then we can jump down Obama's case. That is how the dems. handled it with Bush and it worked out for them all of them acting like they were anti the Iraq war. When they were dead wrong on the surge, they didn't have to pay a price later.
-
I forgot about the effectiveness of the Surge. It is nice that Iraq is now a democracy and that everything is safe there, which is why we can't pull out immediately or else the whole thing will go to pot.Originally posted by byu71 View PostYea, guys like Hannity and Rush and the others ought to shut the hell up. They should follow Obama's example. They should say, "I wouldn't take this approach, I don't think it will work, but let's see. Maybe it will work and we will all be glad he did.
Then a year from now and all we have gotten is talk and talk and yet no progress except progress in what Iran wants to do, then we can jump down Obama's case. That is how the dems. handled it with Bush and it worked out for them all of them acting like they were anti the Iraq war. When they were dead wrong on the surge, they didn't have to pay a price later.
Listen, traditionally, all we will get is talk from these folks. But it is nice to see political leaders besides Tony Blair that want to embrace the US again.
I have to think that Obama's recent rockstar jaunt around Europe made the Republicans bristle a bit. How long has it been since thousands of locals crowded public streets to listen to GWB speak? Or Laura Bush for that matter?
BTW, no terrorists attacks yet on Obama's watch. He is still a national security genius!Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpic
Comment
-
Originally posted by TripletDaddy View PostI forgot about the effectiveness of the Surge. It is nice that Iraq is now a democracy and that everything is safe there, which is why we can't pull out immediately or else the whole thing will go to pot.
Listen, traditionally, all we will get is talk from these folks. But it is nice to see political leaders besides Tony Blair that want to embrace the US again.
I have to think that Obama's recent rockstar jaunt around Europe made the Republicans bristle a bit. How long has it been since thousands of locals crowded public streets to listen to GWB speak? Or Laura Bush for that matter?
BTW, no terrorists attacks yet on Obama's watch. He is still a national security genius!
Yea, I love that embraced feeling. I have always been one to enjoy kissing other people asses so they will smile at me as they pass me by.
Comment
-
You enjoy kissing other people's butts? gross.Originally posted by byu71 View PostYea, I love that embraced feeling. I have always been one to enjoy kissing other people asses so they will smile at me as they pass me by.
You seem to be fairly entrenched in your position that having world leaders embrace the US is of little to no value. Thank you for sharing such a reasonable point of view!Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpic
Comment
-
Originally posted by TripletDaddy View PostYou enjoy kissing other people's butts? gross.
You seem to be fairly entrenched in your position that having world leaders embrace the US is of little to no value. Thank you for sharing such a reasonable point of view!
Really, that is what you got out of it. What I am entrenched in is seeing action come after the embrace. I thought I was clear, maybe not, that I hope Obama succeeds in his gestures. I hope something meaningful comes from it. The embrace is nice, but I would like to see the substance after.
I am not a partisan hack who wishes ill on the other guy, just so my party has a better chance later.
I kind of relate it to LDS kids that come on a BYU recruiting trip, do the dance, tell folks how "just right" the place feels and then sign somewhere else.
Comment
-
I honestly think that very little will come of it (beyond some dialogue). If you note, one of the Ayatollah's wishes was that we get out of bed with Israel (or at least sleep less with Israel). This is what it always comes down to...Israel.Originally posted by byu71 View PostReally, that is what you got out of it. What I am entrenched in is seeing action come after the embrace. I thought I was clear, maybe not, that I hope Obama succeeds in his gestures. I hope something meaningful comes from it. The embrace is nice, but I would like to see the substance after.
I am not a partisan hack who wishes ill on the other guy, just so my party has a better chance later.
I kind of relate it to LDS kids that come on a BYU recruiting trip, do the dance, tell folks how "just right" the place feels and then sign somewhere else.
I would think that everyone would be very happy to see any Islamic leaders saying positive things about the US. Even if it is only talk, it is a marked improvement over things in the past.
The one great mistake the Dems made with the invasion of Iraq....they failed to fully recognize the significance of taking out Saddam. Yes, that was not the reason for going into Iraq, and yes, Iraq really had nothing to do with 9/11, but at the end of it all, we still got rid of Saddam, which was a good thing (and an example of American imperialism, but oh well, it is what it is). Dems quickly pushed aside the capture of Saddam to focus on the failure to find WMD. While both sides had valid points, the significance of the accmomplishment was lost in partisan nonsense.
I am not equating recent events to the capture of Saddam, not by a mile. But any time we have a leader that will be embraced by the world, that is a good thing for us. The more people that like the US, the better.Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpic
Comment
-
I certainly agree, the more people that like the US the better, with this caveat for me, I am not going to do something that will cause me harm in order to gain that like or embrace as you said.Originally posted by TripletDaddy View PostI honestly think that very little will come of it (beyond some dialogue). If you note, one of the Ayatollah's wishes was that we get out of bed with Israel (or at least sleep less with Israel). This is what it always comes down to...Israel.
I would think that everyone would be very happy to see any Islamic leaders saying positive things about the US. Even if it is only talk, it is a marked improvement over things in the past.
The one great mistake the Dems made with the invasion of Iraq....they failed to fully recognize the significance of taking out Saddam. Yes, that was not the reason for going into Iraq, and yes, Iraq really had nothing to do with 9/11, but at the end of it all, we still got rid of Saddam, which was a good thing (and an example of American imperialism, but oh well, it is what it is). Dems quickly pushed aside the capture of Saddam to focus on the failure to find WMD. While both sides had valid points, the significance of the accmomplishment was lost in partisan nonsense.
I am not equating recent events to the capture of Saddam, not by a mile. But any time we have a leader that will be embraced by the world, that is a good thing for us. The more people that like the US, the better.
As an illustration, I want very badly for you to like me and it would be a good thing for me. However, I don't want it bad enough that I would agree with you on something I think you are wrong on.
Similarly, I would never want to be buddies enough with Iran that I didn't make every effort possible to keep them from having an A-bomb.
Comment
-
Asked about the prospects of a breakthrough in U.S.-Iranian relations, Fadlallah said: "I believe the matter will end with positive results."
I remain very skeptical that we can solve the Iranian nuke problem simply by talking with the Iranians, any more than we can stop the little nut who runs North Korea from pursuing nuclear blackmail by talking to him. But hey - Obama has been elected and has the right to see if his approach works. We shall see. I would not mind being wrong.“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
― W.H. Auden
"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
-- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Comment
-
Originally posted by LA Ute View PostAsked about the prospects of a breakthrough in U.S.-Iranian relations, Fadlallah said: "I believe the matter will end with positive results."I remain very skeptical that we can solve the Iranian nuke problem simply by talking with the Iranians, any more than we can stop the little nut who runs North Korea from pursuing nuclear blackmail by talking to him. But hey - Obama has been elected and has the right to see if his approach works. We shall see. I would not mind being wrong.
Nukes are a ticket to the big kids table in world discussions. I really can't blame these countries for trying to get that voice, regardless of my feelings about them having them. There is nothing we can offer as incentive that is as great a bargaining chip as having nukes.
Comment
-
I think there is a dangerous precedent for this type of policy. It comes from England in the 1930s, where the official foreign policy was appeasement of the dictators (Hitler and Mussolini). They systematically disarmed in the name of financial sustainability and kowtowed to Germany, which only emboldened Hitler. Do I think America should work on diplomatic relationships, of course. But I don't think we should appologize for wanting to take the leading role in the world. And I think there is a healthy amount of fear that the rest of the world should have of our military/industrial complex. That fear has diminished and we wil pay the price, IMO. Granted the collective blame lies on both sides of the aisle. I just hope that our trends don't continue as the trend did in the 1930s. I would rather not see my children fight that war.70% of the world is covered by water, for the rest there's Eric Weddle.
Comment
-
There is a big difference between a bow in a greeting line and sitting down with a country and giving them massive military or economic concessions.
I have zero concerns that we are suddenly going to start appeasing Iran's military or nuclear demands.Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpic
Comment
-
Can someone fix the title to this thread? Not only is there a typo, it's so inartfully worded. It makes 3D look like an idiot and it's jarring. At first I thought grapevine wrote it.When a true genius appears, you can know him by this sign: that all the dunces are in a confederacy against him.
--Jonathan Swift
Comment
-
I am a little shocked that you are unfamiliar with the word "backlask." You must be a creeton or something.Originally posted by SeattleUte View PostCan someone fix the title to this thread? Not only is there a typo, it's so inartfully worded. It makes 3D look like an idiot and it's jarring. At first I thought grapevine wrote it.“There is a great deal of difference in believing something still, and believing it again.”
― W.H. Auden
"God made the angels to show His splendour - as He made animals for innocence and plants for their simplicity. But men and women He made to serve Him wittily, in the tangle of their minds."
-- Robert Bolt, A Man for All Seasons
"It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye."
--Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Comment
-
I invoke the creekster defense.Originally posted by SeattleUte View PostCan someone fix the title to this thread? Not only is there a typo, it's so inartfully worded. It makes 3D look like an idiot and it's jarring. At first I thought grapevine wrote it.
At any rate, it may no longer be relevant, as the White House is now denying that there was any bow at all.Fitter. Happier. More Productive.
sigpic
Comment
Comment