The Execution of Troy Davis

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • NorthwestUteFan
    אלוף
    • Oct 2010
    • 3384

    #16
    Fair enough.

    Comment

    • wuapinmon
      Soul Plumber
      • Dec 2008
      • 30711

      #17
      Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
      The question in my mind is not whether some people deserve to die. I think the answer to that is clearly "yes". The question is who makes that determination. Who gets to draw the line and determine that anyone on one side of the line deserves to die? I just don't trust the government enough to make this kind of decision. I am uncomfortable that these decisions can be driven by various types of bias. I am uncomfortable that these decisions can be driven by prosecutors who are influenced by political pressure or career ambition. I will not mourn Lawrence Brewer for a second, but I am uncomfortable that any system that allows us to execute people like him will also execute people like Troy Davis* or Cameron Willingham.


      * I haven't followed the Davis case, and he may be completely guilty as charged. I am using him only as an example.
      Well said. I think we leave that determination in the hands of a jury, as our ancestors have done for the previous approx. 1500 years. I don't think we have to demand perfection of guilt from a system that relies on mankind. If we use that same argument, I really feel like we can determine that any prosecution can be politically or personally motivated. The system hinges on our shared belief in the rights and tradition of the jury trial. If we don't think it works for capital punishment, then I don't think we can believe it a suitable metric of any kind of culpability.
      "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
      The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

      Comment

      • Clark Addison
        Senior Member
        • Nov 2008
        • 10306

        #18
        Originally posted by wuapinmon View Post
        Well said. I think we leave that determination in the hands of a jury, as our ancestors have done for the previous approx. 1500 years. I don't think we have to demand perfection of guilt from a system that relies on mankind. If we use that same argument, I really feel like we can determine that any prosecution can be politically or personally motivated. The system hinges on our shared belief in the rights and tradition of the jury trial. If we don't think it works for capital punishment, then I don't think we can believe it a suitable metric of any kind of culpability.
        I think this is a reasonable POV, but I have two main problems with it.

        First, we can reverse a prison sentence if it is found to be wrong, while we find it a bit more difficult to reverse a death sentence.

        Second, while the jury makes the ultimate death penalty decision (sometimes), all the decisions that lead to that point (whether they will be eligible for the DP, plea bargains, etc.) are in the hands of the prosecution.

        Comment

        • falafel
          loves to talk on things
          • Mar 2009
          • 37983

          #19
          Originally posted by Clark Addison View Post
          I think this is a reasonable POV, but I have two main problems with it.

          First, we can reverse a prison sentence if it is found to be wrong, while we find it a bit more difficult to reverse a death sentence.

          Second, while the jury makes the ultimate death penalty decision (sometimes), all the decisions that lead to that point (whether they will be eligible for the DP, plea bargains, etc.) are in the hands of the prosecution.
          That is why people on death row live another 20-30 years before they are executed. These things are always appealed forever and the government is almost never in any hurry to throw the switch.
          Ain't it like most people, I'm no different. We love to talk on things we don't know about.

          Dig your own grave, and save!

          "The only one of us who is so significant that Jeff owes us something simply because he decided to grace us with his presence is falafel." -- All-American

          "I know that you are one of the cool and 'edgy' BYU fans" -- Wally

          GIVE 'EM HELL, BRIGHAM!

          Comment

          • venkman
            Senior Member
            • Nov 2008
            • 2199

            #20
            So, like Mumia, he killed a cop. What's the deal with leftists and black cop killers?
            "Remember to double tap"

            Comment

            • wuapinmon
              Soul Plumber
              • Dec 2008
              • 30711

              #21
              Originally posted by venkman View Post
              So, like Mumia, he killed a cop. What's the deal with leftists and black cop killers?
              In your question lies an answer.
              "Wuap's "problem" is that he is smart & principled & committed to a moral course of action. His actions are supposed to reflect his ethical code.
              The rest of us rarely bother to think about our actions." --Solon

              Comment

              Working...